CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 05-22-2009, 9:14 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-10-2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

dudes i have an issue that my repair shop can't get to the bottom of. The Cam/Valve cover gasket blew I discovered this as i slowed to the lights the bike stalled with a loud "spit" noise then a cloud of blue/black smoke rose up from the headers through the cockpit. I started her up and she seemed fine, the bike did this a couple more times over the next 20miles but I kept going. The next day I noticed oil on my left boot that was coming due to a leak from the two gasket plugs being pushed out. I pushed them back in and the leak stopped for a little while until another "spit and stall" session with the smoke occurred. Repair shop put on a new gasket as this had indeed split. Bike was fine for 100miles or so but then y'day at the lights she stalled again there wasn't a spit but there was some smoke. The smoke tells me oil has hit the headers again but if its not through the gasket what could it be?? The repair shop reckons its really unlikely that the gasket has gone again and I'm inclined to agree as I can't see any oil leaks that were present when the gasket went the first time.

Any ideas?

My ride in this am 19 miles through London centre lots of lights and stop starts and no problems. Slowing down seems to be the trigger point as this is when its happened on each previous occasion.
amacblade is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 05-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by amacblade View Post
dudes i have an issue that my repair shop can't get to the bottom of. The Cam/Valve cover gasket blew I discovered this as i slowed to the lights the bike stalled with a loud "spit" noise then a cloud of blue/black smoke rose up from the headers through the cockpit. I started her up and she seemed fine, the bike did this a couple more times over the next 20miles but I kept going. The next day I noticed oil on my left boot that was coming due to a leak from the two gasket plugs being pushed out. I pushed them back in and the leak stopped for a little while until another "spit and stall" session with the smoke occurred. Repair shop put on a new gasket as this had indeed split. Bike was fine for 100miles or so but then y'day at the lights she stalled again there wasn't a spit but there was some smoke. The smoke tells me oil has hit the headers again but if its not through the gasket what could it be?? The repair shop reckons its really unlikely that the gasket has gone again and I'm inclined to agree as I can't see any oil leaks that were present when the gasket went the first time.

Any ideas?

My ride in this am 19 miles through London centre lots of lights and stop starts and no problems. Slowing down seems to be the trigger point as this is when its happened on each previous occasion.
What events happened to the bike within the few hundred miles before this started happening?
Is there too much oil in the sight glass (with the bike vertical of course)?
Check that the crankcase breather isn't blocked as that will pressurise the engine and blow seals.
Does the engine run fine and strong otherwise?
A holed piston or broken ring will allow compression pressure to bypass the cylinder and pressurise the crankcase as well but you should certainly notice the engine not running right.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 05-22-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-10-2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

I don't think excess oil is an issue as the oil floats around the inside of the glass so pretty spot on. The first time it happened was a number of days perhaps it was weeks after a K&N was put in her for the first time. Power hasn't changed one iota in the last 12m. The bike is a little lumpy on idle perhaps a bit more so than I recall her being usually. I've taken the K&N out and reverted back to the Honda filter as the loss in power from 2k-4.5k was quite noticeable and made the throttle pickup "fluffy". Even still the idle is more lumpy than I remember or think it should be.
amacblade is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 05-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by amacblade View Post
I don't think excess oil is an issue as the oil floats around the inside of the glass so pretty spot on. The first time it happened was a number of days perhaps it was weeks after a K&N was put in her for the first time. Power hasn't changed one iota in the last 12m. The bike is a little lumpy on idle perhaps a bit more so than I recall her being usually. I've taken the K&N out and reverted back to the Honda filter as the loss in power from 2k-4.5k was quite noticeable and made the throttle pickup "fluffy". Even still the idle is more lumpy than I remember or think it should be.
What do you mean it floats around the sight glass?
Since the crankcase breathes into the airbox and you've been in there definately check that it's breathing okay.
K&N are a downgrade rather than any improvement anyway.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 05-22-2009, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-10-2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

when the bike is upright and oil is still hot 10mins after switch off I check the level and it rests across the screen at the 75% full level, just as the manual suggests unless my memory fails me. When I removed the K&N there was some oil in the airbox which I put down to the K&N but re-thinking this its more likely due to some other reason. How do you check the crankcase breather?
amacblade is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 05-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by amacblade View Post
when the bike is upright and oil is still hot 10mins after switch off I check the level and it rests across the screen at the 75% full level, just as the manual suggests unless my memory fails me. When I removed the K&N there was some oil in the airbox which I put down to the K&N but re-thinking this its more likely due to some other reason. How do you check the crankcase breather?
The oil level sounds okay then.
There should be some oil residue in the airbox as the crankcase gases coming in are saturated with oil but there shouldn't be too much.
You should be able to feel or hear the pulses coming out of the breather hose into the airbox.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 05-22-2009, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-10-2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

right I will open up the airbox and start the engine to see if there are pulses or not, I will give the oil residue a clean, there was only a smearing which I guess is to be expected. I will have a look at the idle lumpyness again and check that the idle revs are set correctly
amacblade is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 09-10-2009, 9:22 AM
 
Join Date: 05-14-2009
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

What was the outcome to this problem. I have exactly the same problem. I have had the gasket replaced along with the air and oil filter plus new Sparkies whilst they were operating. I still seem to have a problem though. They suggested it 'could' be the piston rings but I can't afford to give this a try unless they are certain. Help!!!
mallinder0 is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 09-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallinder0 View Post
What was the outcome to this problem. I have exactly the same problem. I have had the gasket replaced along with the air and oil filter plus new Sparkies whilst they were operating. I still seem to have a problem though. They suggested it 'could' be the piston rings but I can't afford to give this a try unless they are certain. Help!!!
Is your charging system okay?
I have a vague memory of somebody linking blown valve cover gaskets with heat from a fried stator.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 09-10-2009, 11:10 AM
 
Join Date: 05-14-2009
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

Cheers Bladeracer. I'll bear that one in mind. Charging system seems to be OK mind???
mallinder0 is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 09-10-2009, 11:23 AM
 
Join Date: 04-17-2005
Location: Edmonton
Age: 49
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15
 
Re: CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

Had the same issue with the puff of smoke and stall. About 1500kms later my stator breathed its last breath. Another member GP_RZ posted that the stator was overheating the oil then the pressure has to go somewhere. I replaced my stator a month ago and have not had this issue reoccur. The other reason for this I could glean was a pinched or blocked breather hose to the crankcase (unfortunately it ended up being the stator problem).

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...uff-smoke.html

Hope that helps.
Andrew1400 is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 09-10-2009, 11:40 AM
 
Join Date: 05-14-2009
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

Thanks guys. I'll check out the price of a Stator.

Andy
mallinder0 is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallinder0 View Post
Thanks guys. I'll check out the price of a Stator.

Andy
They're around US$200 from memory and regularly fail so wouldn't be a completely unnecessary cost even if it doesn't fix the problem. Just keep yours as a spare. Definately test yours first though.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 09-10-2009, 9:08 PM
 
Join Date: 04-17-2005
Location: Edmonton
Age: 49
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15
 
Re: CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

Mine was odd because it was still charging the system but on it's way out. Got my replacement from RM Stator $150 to my door.
Andrew1400 is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 6:28 AM
 
Join Date: 05-14-2009
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR929 blown Valve/Cam cover gasket replaced still smokes

The garage told me they think it's the piston rings as oil had got into the old air filter I have had relaced??? He unsrcewed the oil cap immediately after starting her up and said how hot it was getting straight away. It was warm but I don't know if this is normal. Is this a red herring guys???
mallinder0 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2004 1000rr - BLOWN VALVE COVER GASKET bigpun Honda FireBlade 1 09-07-2007 9:33 AM
01 929 Blown Cylinder head cover gasket! HELP! boppin929 General Discussion 20 04-28-2007 5:12 PM
Blew the valve cover gasket on my 929 oconnor Honda FireBlade 2 06-06-2006 8:00 PM
Valve cover gasket??! Bryce Auten Honda FireBlade 8 02-11-2006 11:43 PM
blowing valve cover gasket Tenshi Wingusu Honda FireBlade 6 09-19-2005 6:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome