1999 Blade 918 RRX Airbox - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-24-2009, 3:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1999 Blade 918 RRX Airbox

Hi guys - my Blades just died on me (again) and the last time this happened (last week) I took it to the garage (unfortunately I am no good at fixing bikes AT ALL ).

The mechanic said it needed new sparkplugs and the airbox was 'hanging off', and 'that'll be 130 please...'. However, after that it went beautifully until - just now! It's died on me again!

So, what IS an airbox (I'd never heard of it...) and where is it located - what does it look like, and why is it quite so important?

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-24-2009, 5:06 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: 1999 Blade 918 RRX Airbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khatouche View Post
The mechanic said it needed new sparkplugs and the airbox was 'hanging off', and 'that'll be 130 please...'. However, after that it went beautifully until - just now! It's died on me again!
So, what IS an airbox (I'd never heard of it...) and where is it located - what does it look like, and why is it quite so important?
The airbox is the big black box that takes up most of the space under the fuel tank. 1999 Honda Motorcycle Parts for CBR900RR, OEM and Aftermarket at BikeBandit.com
It contains the air filter and is screwed tightly onto the carburetors so the engine can only suck air through it and not from anywhere else.
Its job is to trap air that is moving past the bike at speeds varying from 0kph right up to 300kph+ and bring it down to a consistant velocity before feeding it into the engine. It also receives gases from the crankcase which allows them to be fed back into the engine to be burned.
If the engine is able to suck air through the intake manifolds or the bottom of the airbox then that air is of course unfiltered and any dust will increase engine wear. It also messes up the fueling as this air is coming in at an unregulated velocity and will tend to cause that cylinder to run lean.
It would depend on what he meant by "hanging off" as to how you would fix it. I'm not familiar with the 900RR but it appears the airbox has rubber boots that fit tightly into the underside which go over the carb throats and are held by clamps. It may be that the clamps were loose or that the boots had come out of the airbox.
Attached Thumbnails
99CBR900RRAirBox.gif‎  

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 05-25-2009 at 4:09 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-24-2009, 8:30 PM

Reputation Power: 11

I have the RRX as well and i done work in this area a few weeks ago. it wasnt hard to change the airfilter in the airbox or the sparkplugs. get a haynes manual and some tools, they will pay for themselves soon enough.

to see the airfilter you take 3 bolts off holding the tank on and 3 or 4 tubes off below the tank (depending if the fuel tap has the extra tube for the vacumn model) and lift the tank off. 9 screws hold the airbox lid on, undo them and lift off, you can remove the filter element. the underside of the airbox has 4 holes on it which push onto the carbs like blade says, and 4 large jubilee type clamps are tightened by screwdriver to form a seal. if they were loose, that would be the hanging off bit. although he prob just meant loose as theres not the room for the airbox to really hang off.

mine was really dirty as it was the original i think (10yrs) when i replaced it and the plugs, i really noticed the difference in acceleration and noise.

good to know i saved myself 130,lol

Last edited by johnx144; 05-24-2009 at 8:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-25-2009, 3:23 AM Thread Starter

Hi John - thanks for the advice! I must say that I agree with you totally! When I got it back, the difference was quite noticeable - it ticked over much better and the was generally a lot smoother, particularly at lower revs...all is well now...
post #5 of 8 Old 05-25-2009, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khatouche View Post
...all is well now...
Is it running again? if so did you do anything to fix it?

i know u said u cant fix bikes, but have u tried an oil change, its very easy and will save you a few quid.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-25-2009, 6:09 AM Thread Starter

All is indeed well...because I'm stupid I didn't realise that actually it was running out of petrol. Onto Res and down to the garage and now all is well again...apologies for wasting everyone's time...

I am going to stand in the corner and beat myself right now...
post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2009, 6:12 AM

lol, flip! , slap urself about the face,lol, im in the habit of resetting the odometer when i fill up and i get about 110miles before i hit reserve
post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2009, 7:23 AM Thread Starter

Great minds think alike there John! I have just done the exact same thing my friend!

Thanks for the help... i am now out from the stupid corner and I'm off for an afternoon cruising the highways and byways...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page