Wheel Spacer Problem - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-28-2009, 7:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Wheel Spacer Problem

so because i was out of town and needed tire. I had my fiance run my bike down to the local tire shop. i get home and put 400 miles on in a weekend. However I noticed something wrong.

My bike dosn't seem to feel the same, just going down the road and while in turn. it seems when in turn when bike hits a bump it get upset such as the rear suspension is way to hard it steps out.

so if a few people could shed some light on this by taking pictures of your spacers front and rear left and right.

This would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-28-2009, 8:27 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Wheel Spacer Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato85 View Post
so because i was out of town and needed tire. I had my fiance run my bike down to the local tire shop. i get home and put 400 miles on in a weekend. However I noticed something wrong.

My bike dosn't seem to feel the same, just going down the road and while in turn. it seems when in turn when bike hits a bump it get upset such as the rear suspension is way to hard it steps out.

so if a few people could shed some light on this by taking pictures of your spacers front and rear left and right.

This would be greatly appreciated.
Check the wheel alignment and chain adjustment. If the chain is too tight it will prevent the swingarm from moving so will feel just like the shock is too hard.
And this should help you sort out the spacers.
Attached Thumbnails
929rearwheel.gif‎  

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 14 Old 05-28-2009, 10:08 PM

Reputation Power: 0

80psi???? Check tire pressures???... Correct me if i'm wrong but does the caliper not go back on if the spacers are reversed??? I know this can happen with the front wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-28-2009, 10:29 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via Yahoo to sscottab

the spacers on the rear tire can be reversed and the caliper will go on , take a look at your rear rotor and see if it looks very close to the bracket mount, if so the spacers my be backwards it happened to my bike a couple years ago. i think i have pics of it in my gallery on here.

nope just checked and the pics are on my other computer that is now in the basement not hooked up.

when you are on a honda you are on the best
2002 CBR954RR
scott
www.itriderz.com
post #5 of 14 Old 05-29-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

bladeracer - thanks for the fiche i went online and looked at it but couldn't discern which is which with any certainty. Chain is tensioned properly and rear wheel is well within .5mm of alignment.

Cromag - 80psi a pirelli might pop at that pressure. no, im at my happy street 38psi. correct the spacer on front forks left side (if sitting on bike) actually butts up against the axel bolt head, and goes into the recieving end of the fork. other side only fits there.

sscottab - looked at it and noticed, if they were swapped to either side they wouldnt make a huge difference in the distance between the rotor and the mounting bracket for the rear caliper.

so looking at my rear wheel from behind the bike, the right side spacer is the top-hat style butting up against the rear brake mount. on the left side is the standard cylindrical spacer.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-29-2009, 11:47 AM

When you push on your passenger seat do you get compression of the shock?? does it spring back fast???? Did you change the model of tire?? if anything you get a softer ride with brand new tires. Did you break in the new tires??

Last edited by CROMAG; 05-29-2009 at 11:58 AM.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-29-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

my suspension is perfectly balanced(compression, rebound, preload). that was done when i first got the bike, dialed it in perfect in the course of 3 weekends of riding. the tires now have about 700 miles on them. my second set since january. they are pirelli diablo corsa 3's.
the tires were broken in during the first 50 miles.

I ride the snot outta my bikes. been riding since I was 6 years old. i work on all my bikes and have restored several and restored about 10 vintage cars.....
post #8 of 14 Old 05-29-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:

I ride the snot outta my bikes. been riding since I was 6 years old. i work on all my bikes and have restored several and restored about 10 vintage cars.....

Not to question your experience.. Just trying to pry more info Just makes no sense that everything was perfect and with new tires you have a problem... What else is there to eliminate??? Has anyone ever called you particularily anal??? My bro will find 18 billion things wrong with a perfectly running machine lol..
post #9 of 14 Old 05-29-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

im the same way. everything has to be just so.

i mean you are out on a motorcycle dipping through turns you don't want a swing arm bolt to get loose or have your suspension improperly set up or have a myriad of things go wrong. there is no metal around you.

i wasn't trying to be an a$$ i haven't met you. you dont know how I am, and the knowledge i posess. pretty much i was just trying to let you and others know that i wasnt just some dumb squid.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-29-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
im the same way. everything has to be just so.

i mean you are out on a motorcycle dipping through turns you don't want a swing arm bolt to get loose or have your suspension improperly set up or have a myriad of things go wrong. there is no metal around you.

i wasn't trying to be an a$$ i haven't met you. you dont know how I am, and the knowledge i posess. pretty much i was just trying to let you and others know that i wasnt just some dumb squid.

Lol, I hear ya man... I am curious as to whats going on..

When people don't post much info you kinda gotta get stuff out of them, even if it appears to be something basic or overlooked. Sometimes like in my Bro's case... No matter what you do it's always broken.

Process of elimination...
post #11 of 14 Old 05-29-2009, 6:19 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via Yahoo to sscottab

Quote:

so looking at my rear wheel from behind the bike, the right side spacer is the top-hat style butting up against the rear brake mount. on the left side is the standard cylindrical spacer.
according to the fisch on bikebandit.com the tophat style spacer goes on the left side the side where the sprocket is.

when you are on a honda you are on the best
2002 CBR954RR
scott
www.itriderz.com
post #12 of 14 Old 05-29-2009, 6:26 PM Thread Starter

Then its backwards. the parts fiche i was looking at didnt have the image clear enough.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-29-2009, 7:13 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Then its backwards. the parts fiche i was looking at didnt have the image clear enough.
It's pretty clear in the fiche I posted above.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #14 of 14 Old 05-30-2009, 1:29 PM Thread Starter

when you are running dial up on an old 486 nothing comes in clear even text.

running the 486 cause i fried my other computers processor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page