Servicing CBR 929 help required! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-30-2009, 6:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Servicing CBR 929 help required!

Hi, I am attempting to service my 2001 CBR 929 and I am having trouble in 3 key areas. (1) Oil in the airbox (2) Valve head removal (3) Spark Plugs

(1) I have found what I think to be a large deposit of oil in the airbox. I know a certain amount of oil is to be expected but to me this seems to be too much. In the corner you can see oil mixed with something else I am guessing dirt ?? (all opinions welcome).

I do not know if it has anything to do with the presence of this much oil in the airbox but the air filter was in bad shape full of dirt.

(2) Reading through the manual it says to remove the throttle body cables, I have taken the screws out, thus the bracket is loose, but I baffled on how you actually disconnect the wires from the drum.

(3) I have taken the spark plugs out and following the guidelines for reading spark plugs I am thinking they are in normal condition, but I would like to have a second opinion on the matter.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by tasos77; 05-31-2009 at 3:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-30-2009, 7:12 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Servicing CBR 929 help required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasos77 View Post
Hi, I am attempting to service my 2001 CBR 929 and I am having trouble in 3 key areas. (1) Oil in the airbox (2) Valve head removal (3) Spark Plugs

(1) I have found what I think to be a large deposit of oil in the airbox. I know a certain amount of oil is to be expected but to me this seems to be too much. In the corner you can see oil mixed with something else I am guessing dirt ?? (all opinions welcome).

I do not know if it has anything to do with the presence of this much oil in the airbox but the air filter was in bad shape full of dirt.

(2) Reading through the manual it says to remove the throttle body cables, I have taken the screws out, thus the bracket is loose, but I baffled on how you actually disconnect the wires from the drum.

(3) I have taken the spark plugs out and following the guidelines for reading spark plugs I am thinking they are in normal condition, but I would like to have a second opinion on the matter.

Thank you for your time.
Bigger pictures maybe?
Airbox looks fine. Certainly is a lot of dirt but that's due to where you ride and park. Put a new OEM or BMC filter in it and considering how much dirt you're sucking in I'd recommend OEM.
Why are you removing the cables? Getting them on and off the linkage is a pain so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're replacing them.
Pics are too small to see any obvious problems with the plugs.
If the filter was that bad though it would affect the colour of the plugs anyway. Better to fit new filter and plugs and have another look later on.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 5 Old 05-30-2009, 10:58 PM

Reputation Power: 12

I would replace your filter, and since you have the plugs out, put new plugs in (you won't have to do it again for a long time). Plugs look ok to me, but you can always take a little sandpaper to get any buildup off of them. Also, clean your air box of all the dirt and oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2009, 3:35 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

bladeracer:
I want to check the valve clearance and these cables are in the way of taking the cylinder head cover out. Unfortunately I am unable to find how you actually take them off the drum. I will try to squeeze the cylinder head cover out with them in place and see what happens...

A new OEM filter has been ordered and I am using larger photos now.

partyhardryan16:
I did not know that plugs are so easy to rejuvenate I will do as you suggested so as to have some spare just in case.

I am now including a picture of my air filter as well.

Thanks again for your input guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Plug1.jpg‎   DSCF0166.jpg‎   plugall.jpg‎   Airbox2.jpg‎  

plugbottom.jpg‎   airboxoil.jpg‎   Airfilter.jpg‎  
post #5 of 5 Old 06-03-2009, 2:21 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Send a message via AIM to libretto

The plugs do not look too bad and that's a normal amount of oil from what I can tell in the pics... Replace the filter and put new plugs in and your should be good to go

Ride it like you stole it!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page