First post and already need help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 06-05-2009, 9:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

First post and already need help

Hello everyone, i am new to the site and this is my first post. I just bought a 94 blade for a very low price because of a strange sound its making in what seems like the front of the engine. I am on a mission to fix it and have a nice running bike. I have searched the forums and found some suggestions but i wanted to get some more opinions.
Here's what i'm working with.....
The bike starts just fine, idles great, no smoke, no sounds. If you rev the bike up in neutral, around 4000 rpms you can hear funny knocking (sounds like a wood stick smacking the engine). Its not very loud when in neutral, but when i am riding in gear it seems to be a lot louder. It starts right around 3500 rpms and doesnt go away until i let off the throttle. Power seems to be ok, i haven't really got on it because of fear of doing more damage.
Is this the sign of cam chain or something more serious?
Thanks......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-05-2009, 11:26 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Send a message via MSN to Jetpilot07
Re: First post and already need help

CAM CHAIN OR TENSIONER, depending on the miles the bike has, if it's over 20,000 mile, it might be both....

or it could be an exhaust leak from one of the head pipes.

DO YOUR DUTY IN ALL THINGS, YOU CANNOT DO MORE, YOU SHOULD NEVER WISH TO DO LESS!

GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE
post #3 of 27 Old 06-05-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply, im going to start taking it apart Monday to try to find the root of the problem. I will go for the cam chain and tensionor first. thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 06-07-2009, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

ok, the engine is out and i got as far as removing the bottom end. the bike slips out of second and i found some worn dogs and worn shift fork. i found some copper metal shavings in the oil pan. i dont know if this is from the source of the knocking or what. the cam chain seems really tight. i did find a unusual mark on the bottom of one of the cylinders. its a chunk of metal missing, i dont know if the crank is hitting it or is it possible that the piston sleeve is slamming down to make the knocking sound. i've never heard of a sleeve coming loose. i'll post pics, please let me know what you think. (the pics were taken looking from the bottom of the 1st cylinder....notice the chunk of metal missing)

Last edited by dcb2231; 06-28-2009 at 9:36 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 06-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb2231 View Post
ok, the engine is out and i got as far as removing the bottom end. the bike slips out of second and i found some worn dogs and worn shift fork. i found some copper metal shavings in the oil pan. i dont know if this is from the source of the knocking or what. the cam chain seems really tight. i did find a unusual mark on the bottom of one of the cylinders. its a chunk of metal missing, i dont know if the crank is hitting it or is it possible that the piston sleeve is slamming down to make the knocking sound. i've never heard of a sleeve coming loose. i'll post pics, please let me know what you think. (the pics were taken looking from the bottom of the 1st cylinder....notice the chunk of metal missing)
That looks to me like it's broken a rod at some time.
If a new rod was put in without measuring the oil clearance or if the journal is damaged that might explain the noise.
Definately inspect the rod journals while you're in there.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 27 Old 06-08-2009, 9:14 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Send a message via MSN to Jetpilot07

turn the rotating mass slowly and look to see if there are any clunks in the rotation, as far as the shavings, that worries me, you might be up for a rebuild or new motor.....

DO YOUR DUTY IN ALL THINGS, YOU CANNOT DO MORE, YOU SHOULD NEVER WISH TO DO LESS!

GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE
post #7 of 27 Old 06-08-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions, i'm gonna go further into the motor tonight, so i'll let you guys know what i find. if all else fails, i might just have to slap a different motor in there. what years will be a direct fit, and what is the easiest way to find one?
post #8 of 27 Old 06-08-2009, 4:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Check rod and main bearings and also check crank for being straight. If no major problems I would suggest that rebuilding would be reasonable.
post #9 of 27 Old 06-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
thanks for the suggestions, i'm gonna go further into the motor tonight, so i'll let you guys know what i find. if all else fails, i might just have to slap a different motor in there. what years will be a direct fit, and what is the easiest way to find one?
If it did break a rod you might see minor damage to the top and bottom of the piston, the bore, the combustion chamber and the valves. The piston and valves would most likely have been replaced though. It's even possible that cylinder has been over-bored to repair any damage so measure it carefully.
I believe '92-'95 are exactly the same engines.
'96-'99 are the 918 engine but I believe they bolt straight in still.
I think the 919 Hornet right through to '07 is also an option.
The Hornet is injected so you could also consider a complete harness/ECU/instrument cluster swap and have injection as well :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #10 of 27 Old 06-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbzorro View Post
Check rod and main bearings and also check crank for being straight. If no major problems I would suggest that rebuilding would be reasonable.
I'd always prefer to rebuild than replace.

post #11 of 27 Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

well i think i found the problem, i should have noticed it right away when i took the bottom end off. i have a bad bearing on the 3rd rod, i can wiggle the piston rod on the crank, it roughed up the crank a little. can i get this smoothed out, or am i lookin at a new crank?
post #12 of 27 Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
well i think i found the problem, i should have noticed it right away when i took the bottom end off. i have a bad bearing on the 3rd rod, i can wiggle the piston rod on the crank, it roughed up the crank a little. can i get this smoothed out, or am i lookin at a new crank?
Only the crank repairer can tell you if it can be repaired.
Is it blued as well or just scored?
Be sure to measure all bearing clearances to ensure you have good oil pressure. Any one bearing only needs to be a few thou loose and it will reduce pressure throughout the rest of the engine.

post #13 of 27 Old 06-09-2009, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Only the crank repairer can tell you if it can be repaired.
Is it blued as well or just scored?
Be sure to measure all bearing clearances to ensure you have good oil pressure. Any one bearing only needs to be a few thou loose and it will reduce pressure throughout the rest of the engine.
post #14 of 27 Old 06-09-2009, 7:58 AM Thread Starter

its not blue, its the same color as the others. when i run my finger across it you can feel it is a little rougher then normal.
post #15 of 27 Old 06-09-2009, 8:30 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
its not blue, its the same color as the others. when i run my finger across it you can feel it is a little rougher then normal.
It sounds repairable then but it'll depend on how much metal needs to be ground away to smooth it out and whether an over-size bearing is available.
Otherwise it might be possible to metal spray it and grind it back to stock size.
Get it to a crank shop.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page