1996 RRS Clutch-HELP - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-28-2009, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

1996 RRS Clutch-HELP

The clutch is slipping on my (now 90,000 miles old) Blade. I damaged it coming back from Czech Republic when the reg/rec went and I had to keep the engine above 5,000 rpm to stop it dying-unsuccessflly due to very heavy traffic. So I have new plates, springs etc all soaked and ready to go in.

The old plates all slid out easy enough, bar the last one (the narrow width one) which won't budge. It is loose though as it can be moved from side to side but cannot get it to move back and forth. I don't have the tools to remove the centre nut, the circlip that holds the centre nut on, or to hold the clutch still. The last clutch I stripped was on a TZ racer, and these never, ever caused a problem.

I also think the clutch has been put on wrong before, as the parts manual I have shows that the spring seat and judder spring have been put in in front of the final friction plate, and not behind it.

Any ideas? I riding it to France on Thursday! Or maybe not.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 1996 RRS Clutch-HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by whysub View Post
The old plates all slid out easy enough, bar the last one (the narrow width one) which won't budge. It is loose though as it can be moved from side to side but cannot get it to move back and forth.
Are sure it's not just sticking from oil suction?
The spring seat and judder spring came out okay?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 9 Old 06-28-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Are sure it's not just sticking from oil suction?
Possibly, but can't get anything behind the lugs to pull it out. Cant' even get anything to stick to the plate to pull it out (due to the oil). tried leaning the bike right over and tapping the basket with a rubber mallet. No luck

Quote:
The spring seat and judder spring came out okay?
They did indeen, but they were in front of the final steel plate, and not behind the final friction plate, as per the service manual.

Still stuck (pardon the pun) getting it out. Maybe why the spring seat and judder spring were in the wrong place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Possibly, but can't get anything behind the lugs to pull it out. Cant' even get anything to stick to the plate to pull it out (due to the oil). tried leaning the bike right over and tapping the basket with a rubber mallet. No luck

They did indeen, but they were in front of the final steel plate, and not behind the final friction plate, as per the service manual.

Still stuck (pardon the pun) getting it out. Maybe why the spring seat and judder spring were in the wrong place?
I can't imagine what is holding it then.
I can only suggest removing the hub.
If the engine is still in the bike you should be able to put it in gear and lock it with the rear brake.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 9 Old 06-28-2009, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I can't imagine what is holding it then.
I can only suggest removing the hub.
If the engine is still in the bike you should be able to put it in gear and lock it with the rear brake.
It has an odd looking circlip stopping the outer nut from coming undone-not sure how it is removed (manual jus says "service tool required" to remove it.

This is a real headache! Not much time as doing a track day on Tuesday on my RSV (travelling up tomorrow, and back on Wednesday morning)-off to France on thursday afternoon.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-28-2009, 1:06 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
It has an odd looking circlip stopping the outer nut from coming undone-not sure how it is removed (manual jus says "service tool required" to remove it.
No mention of a circlip in my manual.
The nut is simply staked to the shaft.
Any chance of a photo?
It's definately a '96 engine?

post #7 of 9 Old 06-28-2009, 1:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
No mention of a circlip in my manual.
The nut is simply staked to the shaft.
Any chance of a photo?
It's definately a '96 engine?
Looked again at the manual, and it says "Unstake" the circlip on the nut. What does that mean-never come across any clip like that before. I'm either stupid or tired today (probably both!)

Deffo an RRS motor-doubt there is a need for a photo see as I'm instruucted to unstake the clip (or what ever it is).

Thanks-your comments ae whittling down my problem!
post #8 of 9 Old 06-28-2009, 2:12 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Looked again at the manual, and it says "Unstake" the circlip on the nut. What does that mean-never come across any clip like that before.
It's not a clip at all.
The end of the nut has a soft edge and the shaft has a groove in it.
You stake the soft edge of the nut into the groove with a punch or screwdriver blade so it can't come undone.
Unstaking it is a simple matter of punching the staked section out of the groove.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-28-2009, 2:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks-I'll sort that in the morning (hope the neighbours can cope with my swearing at 07.00!).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page