Electrical Problem 929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-29-2009, 5:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Electrical Problem 929

Having a hard time figuring out what is causing this - frustrating 'cause I can ussually figure it out.

The bike will sometimes cut out, either when riding or idling. Does not happen often, but especially when it is very humid out, mostly at night. After having it sit for a month, it gave me a fit to get it to charge, had to jump start it 3 times. But this was when it had finished raining. If I leave it in gear, it will sometimes start on its own, but usually requires me to pull the clutch in and back out. Once, while warming up, it would not restart. I put some pressure on some piece that is next to the battery (relay possibly?) and that got it to start. Also, when I was had to jump start it, the gauges would go out and reset. When i was riding and it would go out, sometimes they would work off and on, and the bike would work off and on too. You would be steady with the throttle and it would cut in and out quickly. That being said, its now been two weeks and haven't had a problem (it also stopped raining every day.

Possible causes I've come up with:

a) Weak battery (gives me more trouble when it has been sitting for a couple weeks, it was raining for a while)
b) Charging system, but it should run off the battery if that was the case
c) Relay is going bad, maybe when it is humid and bouncing around from vibration, condensation possibly?
d) something else.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-29-2009, 5:50 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Electrical Problem 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks929 View Post
Possible causes I've come up with:

a) Weak battery (gives me more trouble when it has been sitting for a couple weeks, it was raining for a while)
b) Charging system, but it should run off the battery if that was the case
c) Relay is going bad, maybe when it is humid and bouncing around from vibration, condensation possibly?
d) something else.

Any ideas?
Kill switch or the bank angle sensor, clutch or kickstand switches could be shorting.
Since you mentioned the clutch I'd start by bypassing that one.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 8 Old 06-29-2009, 8:51 PM Thread Starter

So you don't think its any of the ones I listed?
I hate trying to fix intermitent problems.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-29-2009, 9:49 PM

Reputation Power: 11

have you double checked the connections on the battery, make sure they are not loose, also make sure the relay the red wire travels to is not loose, the system uses power off of that connection also. if the gauges are resetting I would have to say it is losing battery power. They do not reset any other time. I have had a bad battery do that also, mostly when you open the throttle hard, when it needs a lot of juice that the generator can not supply on its own
post #5 of 8 Old 06-30-2009, 4:12 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks929 View Post
So you don't think its any of the ones I listed?
I hate trying to fix intermitent problems.

Thanks for the help.
I think it's most likely the charging system or a loose connection.
I was merely supplying some other things to check :-)
Have you checked voltage at the battery and whether the system is charging?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 8 Old 07-01-2009, 11:35 PM

i ve had the same problems with my 929 sometimes i would crank it and it would die the gauges go out and reset and would crank back and sometimes it would would stay dead for a few days, time when riding when i go to get on it it would cut out for a second, it ended up being a burnt connection, where the ingnition switch hooked up into the harness its a the only connecter with four wires and its located right under the right air duct cover and also the red connecter can do the same thing if the connections is bad my bike stayes out side with a cover on it and i ve had probs with dirty losse conectors since ive had the bike
post #7 of 8 Old 07-02-2009, 6:22 PM
D.S

Reputation Power: 14

My money is on a bad connection somewhere, like a ground shorting or something.... and these issues are rarely alone as a bad connection could cause other components to go bad, or is the result of a bad electric component. Been there. It's fault finding time, start with the charging system.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-05-2009, 1:14 PM

Reputation Power: 15

My wife's bike had a bad battery connection that describes your problems. The dealer put too long of bolts in for the battery cables. Of course this happened on a trip but cut a few threads off the bolts and then it worked great. By looking at it and tightening the bolts you could not tell it was loose had to wiggle the cable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page