My 954 is starting to use some oil - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-29-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

My 954 is starting to use some oil

I have 23000 on my blade, had it since 4000 miles, I have been pretty hard on it, always let it warm up before beating on it, It has progressed to approximately 2 quarts of oil between oil changes, I keep it full, and have always changed it every 3500 to 4000 miles, always ran royal purple in it, I am wondering if the valve guides are more common or am I going to have to drop this engine out and re ring it. Just trying to get some opinions before I proceed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-30-2009, 4:33 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: My 954 is starting to use some oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsimon2nd View Post
I have 23000 on my blade, had it since 4000 miles, I have been pretty hard on it, always let it warm up before beating on it, It has progressed to approximately 2 quarts of oil between oil changes, I keep it full, and have always changed it every 3500 to 4000 miles, always ran royal purple in it, I am wondering if the valve guides are more common or am I going to have to drop this engine out and re ring it. Just trying to get some opinions before I proceed.
Have somebody follow you for a while when you're riding fairly hard. Closing the throttle from high revs should blow smoke as the engine sucks oil through the valve guide seals. If it's blowing smoke when you get on the throttle out of the turns then it's more likely the rings.
A compression test will also confirm if the rings are worn.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 7 Old 06-30-2009, 1:40 PM
Mor

Reputation Power: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
A compression test will also confirm if the rings are worn.
Cylinder leakage test will be better IMO. It will rather show which way the air is going out (rings or valves).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-30-2009, 3:53 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mor View Post
Cylinder leakage test will be better IMO. It will rather show which way the air is going out (rings or valves).
A compression test should always include a leakdown test but neither will diagnose bad valve guides or seals as they only leak while the valves are open (no compression but lots of suction on the induction stroke).
You can determine if it's rings or valves with a wet test after the dry test - simply by pouring a tablespoon of oil into the cylinder and re-doing the compression test. If it doesn't change significantly then it's a valve. If it does, then the rings are leaking and the oil is sealing them.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 7 Old 07-05-2009, 9:39 PM Thread Starter

Yet if I do a leakdown test and the cylinders do hold up good, it does say the valve guides have a problem, if the cylinders do leak then the head goes out anyways cause it is off and needs to be ported a lil and polished a lot
post #6 of 7 Old 07-05-2009, 9:42 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsimon2nd View Post
Yet if I do a leakdown test and the cylinders do hold up good, it does say the valve guides have a problem, if the cylinders do leak then the head goes out anyways cause it is off and needs to be ported a lil and polished a lot
To replace the rings you need to strip the entire motor - transmission, crank and head to get the pistons out.

post #7 of 7 Old 07-05-2009, 9:43 PM Thread Starter

yup, well aware of that one bladeracer, thinking this is going to suck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page