need new chain - which manufacturer - Fireblade 2k8 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-30-2009, 3:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

need new chain - which manufacturer - Fireblade 2k8

Hey guys,
got issues with my chain, thing keeps continuously corroding. Most likely bc I live next to the ocean. Anyhow, time to change (have nearly 12000km on the clock). Any advise which chain supplier to use and where I can order them online (shipping to Dubai)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 1:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

new chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeCBR2008 View Post
Hey guys,
got issues with my chain, thing keeps continuously corroding. Most likely bc I live next to the ocean. Anyhow, time to change (have nearly 12000km on the clock). Any advise which chain supplier to use and where I can order them online (shipping to Dubai)?

Thanks!
I am surprised if you get corrosion because of the sea unless you ride regularly on the sand by the beach.
If you check the condition of cars for rust & corrosion then you should get an idea of the conditions there.
The main problem there I would have thought would be high heat + dust and sand blown around by the wind.
Chain lubricant will disappear quicker in the heat and even quicker is they are mixed with sand and dut where you get the perfect grinding paste!
Frankly 12k from a chain is poor. You first course of action is to look in the owner's handbook where suitable makes of chain have been mentioned.
My second advice would be to clean & lube your chain more frequently (300~500 miles depending on condition). Remember proper cleaning prior to lubing is extremely important.
£rd recommendation is to use non oily lube (wruth, profi ...) these are less
susceptible to dirt sticking to the chain & give v good corosion resistance (I use them & ride in throughout winter)
Hope this helps
post #3 of 15 Old 07-02-2009, 1:56 AM
Mor

Re: need new chain - which manufacturer - Fireblade 2k8

Quote:
(...) Any advise which chain supplier to use (...)
I used D.I.D. ZVM2 (and VM2 sometimes on smaller) in few bikes and I always was satisfied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-02-2009, 3:50 AM Thread Starter

Re: new chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjo View Post
I am surprised if you get corrosion because of the sea unless you ride regularly on the sand by the beach.
If you check the condition of cars for rust & corrosion then you should get an idea of the conditions there.
The main problem there I would have thought would be high heat + dust and sand blown around by the wind.
Chain lubricant will disappear quicker in the heat and even quicker is they are mixed with sand and dut where you get the perfect grinding paste!
Frankly 12k from a chain is poor. You first course of action is to look in the owner's handbook where suitable makes of chain have been mentioned.
My second advice would be to clean & lube your chain more frequently (300~500 miles depending on condition). Remember proper cleaning prior to lubing is extremely important.
£rd recommendation is to use non oily lube (wruth, profi ...) these are less
susceptible to dirt sticking to the chain & give v good corosion resistance (I use them & ride in throughout winter)
Hope this helps
Heat, dust and sand may be the options as well, yep, you are completely right. Still I do believe that the OEM chain of Honda is very poor quality, bc if i compare it with my friends' bikes (mainly Suz and R1's) mine is constantly in worst condition (initially thought they all have the same supplier, apparently not) Wire brushed it a lot of times & lubed it, still rusting.
Rather get a new one. non OEM, gold AM, preferred. Where can I get it?
btw, never rcd a owner's handbook for the 08
post #5 of 15 Old 07-02-2009, 4:14 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mor View Post
I used D.I.D. ZVM2 (and VM2 sometimes on smaller) in few bikes and I always was satisfied.
The OEM chain should be either DID VM2 or RK GFOZ1.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 15 Old 07-02-2009, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Heat, dust and sand may be the options as well, yep, you are completely right. Still I do believe that the OEM chain of Honda is very poor quality, bc if i compare it with my friends' bikes (mainly Suz and R1's) mine is constantly in worst condition (initially thought they all have the same supplier, apparently not) Wire brushed it a lot of times & lubed it, still rusting.
Rather get a new one. non OEM, gold AM, preferred. Where can I get it?
btw, never rcd a owner's handbook for the 08
I would get your dealer to get you an owner's h/b if you bought the bike new otherwise buy one; it will be your best investment!
Noticed you mentioning about wire brushing your chain. You should only use soft brush (e.g toothbrush) if you need to because metal brush will damage the X ring seals & you will loose the grease inside the rollers = increased chaine corrosion + reduced life.
You may be interested to read this article @: Facts you should no about Motorcycle Chains!
Honda h/b spec is DID50VA11-116YB or RK50HFOZ6-116LJFZ; I would check these directly against the manufacturers recommendation just to be on the safe side.
Demon-tweeks.co.uk & mandp.com are suppliers that ship abroad & they do chains. Not sure if they are the best options for you out there
post #7 of 15 Old 07-02-2009, 4:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjo View Post
I would get your dealer to get you an owner's h/b if you bought the bike new otherwise buy one; it will be your best investment!
Noticed you mentioning about wire brushing your chain. You should only use soft brush (e.g toothbrush) if you need to because metal brush will damage the X ring seals & you will loose the grease inside the rollers = increased chaine corrosion + reduced life.
You may be interested to read this article @: Facts you should no about Motorcycle Chains!
Honda h/b spec is DID50VA11-116YB or RK50HFOZ6-116LJFZ; I would check these directly against the manufacturers recommendation just to be on the safe side.
Demon-tweeks.co.uk & mandp.com are suppliers that ship abroad & they do chains. Not sure if they are the best options for you out there
Highly appreciated, mate!
post #8 of 15 Old 07-02-2009, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Highly appreciated, mate!
glad it helped
post #9 of 15 Old 07-07-2009, 1:34 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Send a message via MSN to sb1000rr

hey duke, corey at motomummy has good deals on driven chain/sprocket combo's at good prices and plenty of color options, as well as 520 conversions, thats what ill be buying next....
post #10 of 15 Old 07-07-2009, 7:04 PM

Reputation Power: 0

...Corey/Motomummy are great to deal with. Considering your concerns, i would get a DID ERV3 (gold) or the RK Gold--the "gold" color will inhibit rust and seems to be easier to maintain--and they are the best quality chains out there. And if you are not fond of replacing chains and sprockets, stick with steel sprockets when you buy a new chain...
post #11 of 15 Old 07-08-2009, 5:00 PM

25000 miles and still on original poor quality Honda chain. Perhaps scottoiler (Scottoiler - Automatic Chain Lubrication System) and their dual injector helps Ö ?
post #12 of 15 Old 07-08-2009, 5:06 PM

25k is a lot to ask of a chain, no matter how well it is kept. I would think 15 to 20 k is about the service life of any chain on a sport bike that is ridden as such. The Scottoiler is a neat idea, but it just didn't get off the ground here in the U.S. we're too worried about how clean our bikes and rear wheels are... LOL!!!
post #13 of 15 Old 07-09-2009, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
25k is a lot to ask of a chain, no matter how well it is kept. I would think 15 to 20 k is about the service life of any chain on a sport bike that is ridden as such. The Scottoiler is a neat idea, but it just didn't get off the ground here in the U.S. we're too worried about how clean our bikes and rear wheels are... LOL!!!
I was at the dealer today to swap the tyres after a track day and asked him to check the chain, itís absolutely fine (now we are close to 26k). If you set the flow of the oil in the scottoiler carefully and adjust it as the temperature outside changes then you do not get bike that dirty, yes, the excess oil is not nice, but I can live with that. I think the dual injector lets you to put less oil on the chain compared to the standard setup. As for riding style, I get to indicated 150-160 mph daily and regularly rev the bike in as many gears as I can to almost 13000 rpm, usually on almost full or full throttle.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-09-2009, 3:48 PM

Reputation Power: 15

I too run with a scottoiler and honestly cannot praise it enough. As blackadder mentioned, once you get the flow rate right you'll be sorted and it only take's a bit of messing around with and a dirty back wheel or two before you get it right. Small price really for the return it give's you, as it can extend chain life 5 fold. Try it and you wont regret it.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-09-2009, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gappo mancini View Post
I too run with a scottoiler and honestly cannot praise it enough. As blackadder mentioned, once you get the flow rate right you'll be sorted and it only take's a bit of messing around with and a dirty back wheel or two before you get it right. Small price really for the return it give's you, as it can extend chain life 5 fold. Try it and you wont regret it.
Oh no, don't misunderstand--I believe they are a great idea! The Scottoiler principle is very sound--they're just hard to find stateside because they weren't very popular. I was being a bit sracastic about us weorrying about the looks of our bike too much--that's not necessaryily a good thing, especially when something like the Scottoiler can extend the life of your chain and allow you to forego maintenance (at least greatly increase the intervals). I still think chains/sprockets are wear items and have a finite life, though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page