Help! cbr900rr rings - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-01-2009, 9:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Help! cbr900rr rings

Hello, I'm looking at purchasing a 93 cbr900rr from our local craigslist. The owner says it smokes and needs new rings. Does anyone know if this model has the electroplated cylinders? He also says it will only cost $200 to repair. He is asking $850 for the bike and I believe that's all that is wrong with it. Is this a good purchase or should I shy away? Thanks!
Dustin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-01-2009, 9:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Re: Help! cbr900rr rings

If that is all that's wrong with it, buy it. If worst comes to worst you can part it out for more than $850.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-01-2009, 9:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Do you think $200 for new rings is realistic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-01-2009, 10:47 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via AIM to MTXMUGEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinBryan View Post
Thanks for the advice. Do you think $200 for new rings is realistic?
200 sounds cheap. for just the labor then maybe. don't forget you have 3 compression rings per piston. 12 rings. im guessing like $5 each. that's another 60. you will need a new head gasket, lower jug gasket, cam chain tensioner gasket (comes in a gasket kit for about 100). new rings requires almost a complete disassembly of the engine.

as a motorcycle mechanic i would charge 400 (then cost of parts) and just rebuild the engine since it would be almost completely disassembled anyway. valve seals also cause oil burn and since the heads will be removed i would replace them. since the valves are removed for that i would lapp them, new springs. i would also set the valve lash, swap the automatic cam chain tensioner for a manual unit, replace the #3 rod bearing before it goes out. then anything else i would find i would replace/repair.

for 850 you cant really go wrong. even if that engine is torn to bits you can still turn a decent profit on the rest of the parts.

EDIT: thres 2 compression rings and a oil ring. they come in a kit with all 3 for $33. you need 1 kit per piston so your looking at $132 in parts just to replace the rings (Langston Racing , California / South Africa : apparel, accessories, parts and service)
valve seals are $16 for the inner 2 cylendars and $12 for the outers. i would higly recommend replacing those aswell as they can also cause oil burn

Last edited by MTXMUGEN; 07-01-2009 at 11:17 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Hello, I'm looking at purchasing a 93 cbr900rr from our local craigslist. The owner says it smokes and needs new rings. Does anyone know if this model has the electroplated cylinders? He also says it will only cost $200 to repair. He is asking $850 for the bike and I believe that's all that is wrong with it. Is this a good purchase or should I shy away? Thanks!
Dustin
I believe the 893cc engine ('92-'95) has iron sleeves that don't need plating.
$850 sounds _really_ cheap though if all it needs is rings.
You _might_ be able to replace the rings for $200 in parts only by doing the job yourself but I'd be surprised, as you need to completely disassemble the engine to get the pistons out.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 9 Old 07-01-2009, 1:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTXMUGEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I believe the 893cc engine ('92-'95) has iron sleeves that don't need plating.
$850 sounds _really_ cheap though if all it needs is rings.
You _might_ be able to replace the rings for $200 in parts only by doing the job yourself but I'd be surprised, as you need to completely disassemble the engine to get the pistons out.
the 893 has rough casted, flanged iron liners. i beleve it is cross hatched.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-01-2009, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Dustin
I would suspect valve seals before rings... I'd buy it, pop the head off, and have a look-see. If there doesn't appear to be any marks in the cylinders, I'd do the head up and ride it!
post #8 of 9 Old 07-01-2009, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Dustin

STAY AWAY!!!!

to put new rings in - you have to drop the engine and dismantle the whole bloody thing - spilting the cases and all. thats just to put rings in. you have to get rings, a full gasket kit, seals, and more then likely new crankshaft/connecting rod bearings. these are NOT electroplated stock. mine is being 1mm bored right now cuz i had to replace the rings and valve seals cuz mine was smoking at high rmp....im in well over 500 (my cost) for the motor work so far and im the one doing everything but the bore job)
post #9 of 9 Old 07-02-2009, 10:50 PM

Reputation Power: 13

200 is pretty realistic if you do the work yourself. I'd go with the valve seals like someone else suggested. I ordered a set from local dealer couple of years ago, they were like 5 or 6 bucks each. Now I order them from Carolina Cycle for 3 bucks each. You can save bucks by reusing your head gasket. Clean it really well and spray 3 coats of gasket sealer made by Permatex. Can't think of the exact name of it, it's in a gold can with white top from Autozone. I've reused steel head gaskets countless times with it and never had a problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page