wth could this be? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 07-04-2009, 5:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

wth could this be?

So I have a 929 rr 2001. When the bike is cold it runs fine but when it gets to the 200 F range I loose 1 or 2 cylinders. I need a new air filter I know that but Im not sure what the hell could cause that. The bike has had no trouble running at 225 F but for some reason I loose the two cylinders and it misfires as well. Any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-04-2009, 5:54 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: wth could this be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexheath11 View Post
So I have a 929 rr 2001. When the bike is cold it runs fine but when it gets to the 200 F range I loose 1 or 2 cylinders. I need a new air filter I know that but Im not sure what the hell could cause that. The bike has had no trouble running at 225 F but for some reason I loose the two cylinders and it misfires as well. Any Ideas?
Was anything done to the bike before it started behaving this way?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 23 Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

nope. I washed the bike before I rode it last time. I went for a night ride with it. It acted fine no malfunction what so ever. think the coils could be bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
nope. I washed the bike before I rode it last time. I went for a night ride with it. It acted fine no malfunction what so ever. think the coils could be bad?
Any chance you got water into the injectors or coils?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 23 Old 07-05-2009, 7:30 PM

Reputation Power: 11

how much water did you use? bikes do not belong in lakes, it only needs enough water to for soap and a rinse, harness does not need to shine...
post #6 of 23 Old 07-06-2009, 2:44 AM Thread Starter

So your never going to believe what the problem was. I worked at a dealership and had a monkey of a technition check my valves and he looked over some stuff. Some how one of the coils was screwed up. The clip on the inside of the coil was bent. I replaced it last year. I guess after so long the coil managed to unhook its self from the plug and was bouncing around in the socket. I have no clue how this could have happend? The roads around here are not paved to perfection in a lot of areas so that and a loose suspention setup could have caused this. As far as my bike washing abilities go. I know that I dont need to rinse my bike of with the amount of water that niagara falls dumps in a year. Thank you. As far as the good tech advice goes. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Any good cornering advice? Im trying to get faster. If you have a good sweeper thats a yellow sign of 25, how fast can you hit it?
post #7 of 23 Old 07-06-2009, 2:57 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Any good cornering advice? Im trying to get faster. If you have a good sweeper thats a yellow sign of 25, how fast can you hit it?
I would usually limit my entry speed to just a little faster than when the front starts sliding. Any more than that and you're just making work for yourself :-)

post #8 of 23 Old 07-06-2009, 3:47 PM

Reputation Power: 16

you're asking the wrong guy alex... you ride at blade's speeds right now and you're liable to end up replacing more than a coil connect..

take your time.. concentrate on body position and be aware of where you are looking.. your bike REALLY will go where you look. and your yellow 25 sign really differs in different areas. but i would say i usually hit them at 55-65? give or take.. no knees down here yet.. but close..
post #9 of 23 Old 07-07-2009, 3:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Im just trying to get some kind of concept befor I hit a 25 at 120 and end up on my ass. I usually try and get all the info I get before I go and try something. By the way does any
post #10 of 23 Old 07-07-2009, 3:03 AM Thread Starter

anyone have a good practice routine for getting a knee down?
post #11 of 23 Old 07-07-2009, 4:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

take lessons
post #12 of 23 Old 07-07-2009, 6:52 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Im just trying to get some kind of concept befor I hit a 25 at 120 and end up on my ass. I usually try and get all the info I get before I go and try something. By the way does any
Your corner speed is not limited by your tyres, suspension setup, the road condition or anything else external.
It is entirely a function of your experience.
With enough experience you can take a corner at a speed that has both tyres overcoming grip so they're both sliding.
The only way you can gain experience is by trying it over and over and over pushing your entry speed up as you get more comfortable with the turn. Eventually you'll be hitting it fast enough to be sliding the front on the way in, which you'll be able to feel as pressure against the palm of your inside hand. On the 929 the front also tends to become vague compared to the GSXR's I'm used to but it is still doing the job just fine. I doubt this is noticeable if you haven't ridden many different bikes.
Sliding the front will usually also dictate a wider entry or you'll find yourself running off the track at the exit but it also allows you to get on the gas sooner.
I deliberately practiced to learn to spin the rear up out of turns but I don't recall ever making a conscious decision to learn to push the front going into turns - it's purely a result of increasing confidence and going in harder until you simply know absolutely without any doubt that you are right on the edge of control and any faster would be a crash. But, you will get comfortable with that sensation and find yourself pushing it a little more and a little more and you start having big uncontrolled slides where you have to bring it back or crash, and sometimes you actually will lose the front and go down.
The first time you lose the front at speed it's very disorienting as it happens faster than you can think :-)
You must always remember that your maximum possible corner speed is _not_ the same as anybody else's. Just because somebody else can get into that turn faster than you doesn't mean that you can do the same. We're all individuals and our bikes are set up uniquely for how we're most comfortable riding them. On somebody's first track day their corner speed could be 20kph slower than mine but we are _both_ riding at our own maximum speeds for our experience levels. The slower guy though has years of fun ahead of him learning to push his corner speed higher and higher. For me, I'm already pushing _my_ limits so significant improvements are rare and are much more related to improvements in my equipment than in myself.

post #13 of 23 Old 07-07-2009, 6:55 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's pretty pointless until you're cornering at such speeds that it becomes necessary.
But you could find a nice clean deserted carpark on a sunny day and simply do figure eights and circles tighter and tighter.
But you must ensure your tyres are up to temp before really putting load into them.
On the 929 you will be dragging both pegs long before you should be getting your knees down.

post #14 of 23 Old 07-08-2009, 1:55 AM

Reputation Power: 11

knees are just to know where the bottom is anyways, like another eye on your side.
post #15 of 23 Old 07-08-2009, 8:19 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Quote:
Go to the track.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page