Cam Chain Tensioner Tool - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-04-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Cam Chain Tensioner Tool

I'm in valve hell right now on my 2000 929 and could use a little Mechanic to English translation. I have the service manual and have constructed the tool as per the drawing. I am stumped at this point however.... "Turn the cam chain tensioner lifter shaft fully and secure it using the mechanics stopper tool". I've tried using the tool but when I insert it fully it seems to be locked into a position and will not turn. I guess I just am not understanding the mechanics of the cam chain tensioner and what I am supposed to be accomplishing with this step and what would be the best tool/technique to complete this job. Is there a spring in there that would be compressed? Any help would make the life easier on this visual guy.

Cheers,

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-04-2009, 11:53 PM
D.S

Reputation Power: 14

Re: Cam Chain Tensioner Tool

I think you should use something like a small screwdriver to turn the tensioner lifter shaft into a retracted position, and then insert the locker tool to keep it from going out again while attaching it to the frame. I don't think you're supposed to use the locker toll to actually do the turning, only to keep it from moving after you remove the screwdriver. Not 100% sure on that though, I don't have a stopper tool.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-05-2009, 2:21 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via Yahoo to sscottab

the tool just holds it in the retracted position, use a small screwdriver to retract it. are you doing this with the tensioner in or out of the engine because i dont think it can be set to the retracted position with the tensioner in the engine.

when you are on a honda you are on the best
2002 CBR954RR
scott
www.itriderz.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-05-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

I am doing this in the engine (just checking/adjusting the valves). The manual doesn't say anything about removing the tensioner so I have not been trying to. Do I need to remove this to adjust the valves and if I do need to remove it do I need to compress it before removal?
Thanks for your help folks!
post #5 of 5 Old 07-05-2009, 4:23 PM Thread Starter

After much swearing getting my fat fingers in there, I got the custom tool to work. It appears there is an 'x' pattern at the bolt hole of the cam chain tensioner. By not inserting the tool all the way it was VERY easy to tighten the tensioner and then by pushing the tool all the way in it locks it in place.... nice design (once you figure out what the h**l it's supposed to do). Construction of the tool cost me a total of $1.68 plus 2 cutting wheels for my dremel and about 15min time. Hope this helps someone else in the future (that doesn't have a clue as well).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page