Broken bolt (boy am I screwed)... HELP!!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-05-2009, 8:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Broken bolt (boy am I screwed)... HELP!!!

Finished the valves on the 929 put the cover back on was torquing the bolts to spec 7ft/lbs and one of the bolts snapped. This is a first for me so I am wondering is an Easyout the best route to remove the broken bit (below the top of the case) and has anyone ever put a helicoil in this place on the engine (if the threads are stripped)? Also what would be a good process for doing the helicoil. Luckily it is the one over the cam gears nearer the back of the bike so appears to be accessible.
Thanks folks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-05-2009, 8:53 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Broken bolt (boy am I screwed)... HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1400 View Post
Finished the valves on the 929 put the cover back on was torquing the bolts to spec 7ft/lbs and one of the bolts snapped. This is a first for me so I am wondering is an Easyout the best route to remove the broken bit (below the top of the case) and has anyone ever put a helicoil in this place on the engine (if the threads are stripped)? Also what would be a good process for doing the helicoil. Luckily it is the one over the cam gears nearer the back of the bike so appears to be accessible.
Thanks folks!
I don't recommend torquing any low-torque bolts in aluminium.
Was the bolt tight against the cover before snapping?
If you have any oil in the hole you'll be torquing the bolt down trying to compress the oil before the flange of the bolt tightens down on the cover.
A screw extractor should get it out as long as you can get in there to drill it.
For the bolt to break, it's very unlikely the threads are stripped.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 8 Old 07-05-2009, 9:02 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I don't recommend torquing any low-torque bolts in aluminium.
If you have any oil in the hole you'll be torquing the bolt down trying to compress the oil before the flange of the bolt tightens down on the cover.
A screw extractor should get it out as long as you can get in there to drill it.
lol, thats why there are torque specs. to prevent over torquing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-05-2009, 9:07 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda3x23 View Post
lol, thats why there are torque specs. to prevent over torquing
Yes, but for low-torque stuff I just don't think the average spanner swinger has the experience to get the required accuracy or consistancy to be able to work to factory torque specs. 7ft/lbs on your wrench under your particular conditions could well be 10ft/lbs under factory conditions.
If it doesn't effect oil clearances just do it up hand tight, plus a little bit :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 8 Old 07-05-2009, 10:13 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via Yahoo to sscottab

the bolt broke for a reason could be the torque wrench needs to be calibrated or oil in the hole or possibly the bolt was cracked, use a left handed drill bit and drill start with a small bit first and be careful not to break the bit off when drilling it or you will defently be screwed and if the bolt dosen't come out when drilling use a extracter. chase the threads with a thread chaser and put the new bolt in and finger tighten it to make sure you are not cross threaded then torque it with a known good torque wrench, now if you dont have the correct tools needed take it to a shop would be cheeper then buying the tools. certian things i torque others i dont but i have over 25 years experance as a mechanic so if you dont feel you can tighten it correctly then you should use a torque wrench.

when you are on a honda you are on the best
2002 CBR954RR
scott
www.itriderz.com
post #6 of 8 Old 07-05-2009, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
The bolt was tight against the cover but it was spinning with a bit of resistance before snapping.. the crappy part of this is I was just stopping because it wasn't tightening anymore but the bugger busted first.
Fingers crossed on the threads not being stripped.

Cheers
post #7 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 3:42 PM

Reputation Power: 16

prolly not stripped if you had the bolt all the way down.. sorry about the busted bolt, but you should be able to get it taken care of rather easily.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 7:43 PM Thread Starter

Got the bolt out and ends up everybody was right and the threads were not stripped. Thanks for the help everyone!
Andrew

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page