Clutch Slipping - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-06-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Clutch Slipping

I don't know if any of you remember me, but i bought a 94 900rr about a month ago that had a spun bearing. well i swapped out the motor with a different one that runs great......here is my new problem, i used the clutch from my old motor and it was working fine in that bike, well now it is slipping in the new motor. my friend that is working on the bike took the clutch plates to the bike garage that he works in and cleaned the plates ( i dont know how but they look brand new ).....well since he did that some of the plates were very hard to slide on, you have to push them hard for them to go on. would this be causing the bike to slip out of gear? he is gonna take them tomorrow and try to file them down so they fit correctly again. final question, its probably dumb, but wouldn't the bike slip out of 1st also? my bike is only slipping in the higher gears. right when you get on the gas it comes out of gear 2nd-6th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Clutch Slipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb2231 View Post
I don't know if any of you remember me, but i bought a 94 900rr about a month ago that had a spun bearing. well i swapped out the motor with a different one that runs great......here is my new problem, i used the clutch from my old motor and it was working fine in that bike, well now it is slipping in the new motor. my friend that is working on the bike took the clutch plates to the bike garage that he works in and cleaned the plates ( i dont know how but they look brand new ).....well since he did that some of the plates were very hard to slide on, you have to push them hard for them to go on. would this be causing the bike to slip out of gear? he is gonna take them tomorrow and try to file them down so they fit correctly again. final question, its probably dumb, but wouldn't the bike slip out of 1st also? my bike is only slipping in the higher gears. right when you get on the gas it comes out of gear 2nd-6th
Slipping out of gear?
Clutch slippage doesn't cause it to come out of gear.
A slipping clutch simply allows the revs to rise without the bike accelerating.
Regarding the clutch, the plates shouldn't be hard to put on so that's definately a worry. Find out exactly what he did to them first but I'm guessing you'll want to get new ones at least.
As for it slipping out of gear, that's a whole different problem probably stemming from the shift forks, shift shaft or shift pawl.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 4 Old 07-06-2009, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

ok, im thinking maybe a bent shifter shaft because it seems like its a lot harder to shift then it should be, i have the one out of my old motor, so i might try to switch them to see if that is the problem. we looked at the tranny with the oil pan off before we installed the motor and the dogs and forks looked ok. would a bent shaft make it hard to shift and cause it to come out of gear? im so close to getting my bike done, and another problem occurs. just my luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-14-2009, 5:34 PM Thread Starter

ok....lesson learned, just cuz someone says the motor is in great shape, doesn't mean that it is. it turns out the left shift fork is burned up (almost halfway through) and the shift drum has a chunk missin out of it. from the bottom the dogs and gears look ok. i got the forks and drum on order, hopefully i can finally get this thing fixed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page