Thinking of pulling a Conq and trading the 929 for a XX - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-17-2003, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Thinking of pulling a Conq and trading the 929 for a XX

The local dealer has a 2002 silver XX left over for 8k and a 2003 black for 8.5K. I do mostly highway miles and the ocassional backroad twisties. Usually putting 500 miles on the bike for a weekend ride. I have this feeling that an XX would fit me alittle better. My problem is I absolutely love my 929, but can't afford both. Thinking the insurance may even be cheaper on the XX.

I own the 929 outright, sell for maybe 5.5-6k with out the aftermarket stuff, maybe another $1000-700 from the sale of the spares. Could step from a 929 with 21k to an XX with 0mi for about $1-2k out of pocket. They also have some 12R's for 9k...which is a thought.

Choices choices.....have till spring to figure out. I'd really like to test ride an XX and 12R before I pick of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-17-2003, 11:47 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Re: Thinking of pulling a Conq and trading the 929 for a XX

the 12R is defenetly an option I think.

Keep the rubber side down!
post #3 of 10 Old 12-17-2003, 12:03 PM

I went from a ZX-11 (not too far from an XX) to a 929. The 'bird is going to be a lot heavier than your 929, which is actually a nice thing on the highway, where you spend the majority of your time. The XX will be worlds better for your passengers if / when you carry them.

The 12R is a cool bike. The power is unbelievable. You will likely go through tires quite a bit faster and get worse mileage than with either your 929 or an XX. It, too, is a good mile burner, with plenty of room for the pilot. Not as good for passengers as the XX, but definately better than the 929.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-17-2003, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

You think a Corbin Seat and some Helibars would solve my issues with the 929? Even though, the cost of the Corbin and helibars would almost be what it'd cost me to get on the XX....just alot less headache.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-17-2003, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirkbac
You think a Corbin Seat and some Helibars would solve my issues with the 929? Even though, the cost of the Corbin and helibars would almost be what it'd cost me to get on the XX....just alot less headache.
Depends on what you want. The Corbin will make the bike a LOT more comfortable on the road, but not quite so nice if you tend to move your butt around the seat when riding the twisties.

No personal experience with the Helibars, but I've heard good things about them. If you add a Throttlemeister and/or heavy bar ends, heated grips and a taller wind screen you'd have a touring monster.

It's nearly always cheaper to keep what you've got. If the 929 isn't what you want, then no matter what you do to it, you won't be happy.

You'll find that to do long miles on an XX or 12R, most people put bars and seats on them too.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-17-2003, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Well, the 929 is 90% of what I want. I've had the bike since new in 2000 and 21k miles later I still love it. I just like long rides and thats where the flaws in the 929 start to show. Though I do have a Kaw 750 Turbo with a Corbin seat on it that is very roomy and comfortable.....I just worry on the reliability aspect. If I didn't like the 929 I'd be all over this, but for the most part the 929 has been perefct for me and I've done alot of work on it....so it's a hard one to let go of. I have till spring to figure out what I'll do, maybe after a test ride things will be more clear.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-17-2003, 5:26 PM

I've tried to convert my 929 over to more of a touring machine, Got the corbin, heli-bars, Dan Kyle rebuilt front shock, Penski rear shock and while I can do a 700 mile day, I'm still really sore by the end of it. Had a chance to ride the XX (it was lowered, had VFR bars on it and an Olins suspension) and all I can say is heaven (Did I mention it had a turbo kit installed so it was pumping out about 200HP or so I was told). I would jump on the XX if you do more touring / commutting and less teraing around the twisties. I haven't done it because it would increase my insurance by 40%.

Good Luck

Last edited by crtsoln; 12-17-2003 at 5:26 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-17-2003, 5:50 PM

Helis are cool, no doubt, but these are probably much better: http://www.convertibars.com/

...and for a seat, I once again preach about the Airhawk.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-17-2003, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtsoln
I haven't done it because it would increase my insurance by 40%.
Sirkbac mentioned insurance possibly dropping in the first post. It may be less of a "racer" to us, but on paper it's a CBR with a bigger motor.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-17-2003, 6:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial Thriller
Sirkbac mentioned insurance possibly dropping in the first post. It may be less of a "racer" to us, but on paper it's a CBR with a bigger motor.
Yeah, my insurance went up a bit when I switched. It's a more expensive bike, and it has a larger engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page