Powder coating or paint? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 12-18-2003, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to 41ants
Powder coating or paint?

Sort of a bling question. I really like the way the stock 954 (titanitum) looks, but there are a few tasteful things that I would like to do to improve it. The first thing would be to have my swing are match the frame and the other would be to have my wheels match the gas tank. I am certain the swingarm should be powdercoated. I don't what would be the best way to go as far as changing the color of the wheels. Should I have them painted or powdercoated? Which is cheaper? Which would last longer? What about a powdercoated the color I want and then finished with a layer of clear coat?
Any recommendations to where I should have this done?

03 titanium 954
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-18-2003, 9:29 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Powder coating or paint?

I'll bump this for you. There was a thread not too old about someone powder coating his rims black, not sure if any discussions followed as to cost and painting differences. Do a search and maybe pm him or maybe he'll chime in. I toyed with the idea of powder coating the rims but too much other stuff to do. I have no idea the cost differences or benefits of each method, but it was a good question.
post #3 of 27 Old 12-18-2003, 10:10 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Powder coat will definitely last longer. It's much more durable than regular paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 12-18-2003, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Powder coat will definitely last longer. It's much more durable than regular paint.
And well-worth any difference in price.
post #5 of 27 Old 12-18-2003, 3:40 PM

If you are going to powder coat, there is usually a set up fee where they will "bead blast" the part or parts. If you are going to do one part, it will usually be cheaper to get all three (swingA, wheels) done all together. The Ureathane Paint is tough, but they will chip when mounting new tires.
Sugoi8
post #6 of 27 Old 12-18-2003, 4:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugoi8
If you are going to powder coat, there is usually a set up fee where they will "bead blast" the part or parts. If you are going to do one part, it will usually be cheaper to get all three (swingA, wheels) done all together. The Ureathane Paint is tough, but they will chip when mounting new tires.
Sugoi8
Called a local place here in town and the guy quoted me $100/wheel and about $100 for the swingarm. I don't know anything about the qulity of his work. Is it relatively simple i.e. you would have to be a moron to F it up. The only reason why I called this guy is I see his shop every day on my way to work.. convenience.

03 titanium 954
post #7 of 27 Old 12-18-2003, 5:05 PM

Just for a comparison, here is my ATV frame before and after having it powdercoated. I just dropped it off and picked it up - he did all the prep work for $200.

Last edited by johnnycrash; 12-12-2007 at 1:21 PM.
post #8 of 27 Old 12-18-2003, 6:07 PM

1 note of caution....I had wheels pwd coated on 3 different bikes and the finish is great. However, on 1 bike I notices that the front would shutter under hard braking. I replaced the bearings, etc and still no improvement.

I then decided to pull the rotors and sand the pwd coating away from underneath where the rotors bolted to the rotors. That fixed the problem. It turned out that when the pwd coating cured it was not entirely uniform...off a just a fraction of a mm.
post #9 of 27 Old 12-18-2003, 6:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I am excited to see what the end result is going to look like.
Titanium wheels to match the gas tank and black swingarm to match the frame!

03 titanium 954

Last edited by 41ants; 12-18-2003 at 6:11 PM.
post #10 of 27 Old 12-18-2003, 6:20 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via MSN to GhostRider

I'd go with powder coating if I had to...but I like the stock Black on mine.

Bikes and women - both have nice curves.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-28-2004, 11:05 PM

i know this is late in the post but if anybody has questions about powdercoating let me know. i do it. check our site for info too. www.ohiopowdercoating.com
post #12 of 27 Old 02-29-2004, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearj
1 note of caution....I had wheels pwd coated on 3 different bikes and the finish is great. However, on 1 bike I notices that the front would shutter under hard braking. I replaced the bearings, etc and still no improvement.

I then decided to pull the rotors and sand the pwd coating away from underneath where the rotors bolted to the rotors. That fixed the problem. It turned out that when the pwd coating cured it was not entirely uniform...off a just a fraction of a mm.
Any machined surface that something registers off of should be masked off before powdercoating. Anything that is powdercoated need to be clean, bare metal sand or beadblasting is almost always used to clean and etch the surface. Powdercoat will nearly always give you a more durable surface. No need to clear over it, it would just peel. If your going for a really bling bling look, you can do a multi layer powder coat where a solid base coat is put down such as a silver, then a translucent color like candy blue, rec, purple, etc is put over it. Naturaly its going to cost more.
post #13 of 27 Old 02-29-2004, 9:04 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via Yahoo to CBR629

I have my wheels powder coated and I love them,great shine and tougher than paint.
post #14 of 27 Old 02-29-2004, 9:33 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
If your going for a really bling bling look, you can do a multi layer powder coat where a solid base coat is put down such as a silver, then a translucent color like candy blue, rec, purple, etc is put over it. Naturaly its going to cost more.
Or for even better Blingy, polish the aluminum to a brilliant shine then hit it with a translucent.
Chris
post #15 of 27 Old 03-01-2004, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerPilot
Or for even better Blingy, polish the aluminum to a brilliant shine then hit it with a translucent.
Chris
FWIW, hat works, but is not as durable as the polished surface doesnt have have much bite. The silver base coat I used at work is called "Reflecta" and is nearly identical to polished aluminum under a translucent. Plus you have the benefit of doing different materials (aluminum, steel, brass, etc) and have it all look the same. It probaly wont help the original poster, but I have some really good powdercoat shops here in So Cal that do good work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page