CBR1000RR Track Test - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-18-2003, 1:14 PM Thread Starter
 
allred's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-04-2003
Location: Redding, Northern California
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17
 
CBR1000RR Track Test

Here is a link to a track test of the CBR1000RR

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/17dec...4cbr1000rr.htm
allred is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 12-19-2003, 6:10 PM
 
Join Date: 01-26-2002
Posts: 6,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
   
Re: CBR1000RR Track Test

Just came across this.... I was about to post but i searched first

Quote:
This bike RIPS! I cannot believe that a bike with this much power handles as well as many of the 600's I've ridden lately. The new CBR doesn't do much wrong, it steers like a little bike and has the power of a locomotive.

The engine pulls from just above idle all the way to the rev limiter without a "hit" anywhere. The engine pulls harder with each rpm, but it is as "linear" as I have ever felt. You don't realize how fast this bike is until you hit your brake marker a lot sooner than you expected. Then you quickly learn to appreciate the brakes because with one finger on the front brake lever the correct entry speed is just a light squeeze away. The brakes are as wonderful as the rest of the package, strong and usable.
Wow! Again, i'd like to say I'm suprised but I'm not. I am suprised by this statement by Dirck.

Quote:
Honda claims this all adds up to the best sport bike it has ever produced, combining racing prowess with user-friendly, steetable performance.
I had no idea about them saying that, (in cartman voice) kickass!
deez is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 12-19-2003, 8:28 PM
 
Join Date: 03-02-2003
Posts: 4,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
                 
Re: CBR1000RR Track Test

You beat me to it - I just read the review on motorcycledaily.com, and I must say that it's great to hear such a glowing review already about this bike. With all the speculation (and my lukewarm feeling about the way the bike looks) I've been concerned about Honda not keeping up with the competition, but based on this review, I'm feeling a little more comfortable that maybe they're on the right track. Exciting stuff!
bwhip is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 12-20-2003, 9:22 PM
 
Join Date: 12-20-2003
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR1000RR Track Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhip
You beat me to it - I just read the review on motorcycledaily.com, and I must say that it's great to hear such a glowing review already about this bike. With all the speculation (and my lukewarm feeling about the way the bike looks) I've been concerned about Honda not keeping up with the competition, but based on this review, I'm feeling a little more comfortable that maybe they're on the right track. Exciting stuff!
Don't count your chickens before they're hatched... This was also stated in the article..

"Is the new CBR 1000RR better than the Kawasaki ZX-10R? I don't think so. The CBR feels at least 20 pounds heavier and feels a little slower in a straight line."

Once again, I'm afraid we're down on power, especially given the extra weight. I've been a long-time honda customer but I'm doubting that my next liter bike will be the RR. We'll see.

Last edited by blade954; 12-20-2003 at 9:23 PM.
blade954 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 12-20-2003, 11:49 PM
 
ND4SPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-07-2002
Location: US
Age: 16
Posts: 16,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50
                     
Re: CBR1000RR Track Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade954
Don't count your chickens before they're hatched... This was also stated in the article..

"Is the new CBR 1000RR better than the Kawasaki ZX-10R? I don't think so. The CBR feels at least 20 pounds heavier and feels a little slower in a straight line."

Once again, I'm afraid we're down on power, especially given the extra weight. I've been a long-time honda customer but I'm doubting that my next liter bike will be the RR. We'll see.
If you can use even 90% of the power either bike provides, you should at LEAST be in the AMA
ND4SPD is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 12-20-2003, 11:58 PM
TAZ
 
TAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-10-2001
Location: Delaware
Age: 48
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20
 
Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ
Re: CBR1000RR Track Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
If you can use even 90% of the power either bike provides, you should at LEAST be in the AMA
In defense of power:
Whenever you accelerate using full throttle, you're using 100% of the bike's available power. This could be when you're coming off a corner; when you're drag racing our buddy; when you're passing a semi...

I'm quite sure you were alluding to the fact that having a bike with a lot of horsepower doesn't mean you'll be able to to turn fast laps on a racetrack, or get to the end of a twisty road faster than someone on a bike with less power...and or course, that's true. But to play devil's advocate, any rider who can twist the throttle to the stop 'can use even 90%' (and more) of the power.

I'm surprised to read that bit about the RR feeling heavy. We know that it IS heavy (based on the weight 'rumors' we read a couple months ago), but I figured the centralized mass stuff would make the bike feel lighter than it is.

Last edited by TAZ; 12-20-2003 at 11:59 PM.
TAZ is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 12-21-2003, 12:48 AM
 
jetbdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-22-2002
Location: Quebec, Canada..... for how long???
Age: 45
Posts: 2,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 28
             
Send a message via AIM to jetbdude
Re: CBR1000RR Track Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
In defense of power:
Whenever you accelerate using full throttle, you're using 100% of the bike's available power. This could be when you're coming off a corner; when you're drag racing our buddy; when you're passing a semi...

jetbdude is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 12-21-2003, 12:57 AM
 
Join Date: 07-25-2003
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17
 
Re: CBR1000RR Track Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade954
"Is the new CBR 1000RR better than the Kawasaki ZX-10R? I don't think so. The CBR feels at least 20 pounds heavier and feels a little slower in a straight line."
I saw the Kawi at the motorcycle show and thought is looked cheaply made (POS), in typical Kawi fashion. Honda for me please! Examples are the cheap looking exhaust, hoses hanging down, controls, loose fuel tank (designed this way) etc.
ULEWZ is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 12-22-2003, 4:03 AM
 
Join Date: 10-30-2002
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR1000RR Track Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by allred
Here is a link to a track test of the CBR1000RR

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/17dec...4cbr1000rr.htm

This test is a good sign, but means very little. I have a deposit on the new 100rr and the R1 and will wait for dyno numbers and magazine head-to-head tests to decide which one is the real McCoy!
Mako is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 12-22-2003, 10:46 AM
TAZ
 
TAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-10-2001
Location: Delaware
Age: 48
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20
 
Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ
Re: CBR1000RR Track Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako
This test is a good sign, but means very little. I have a deposit on the new 100rr and the R1 and will wait for dyno numbers and magazine head-to-head tests to decide which one is the real McCoy!
Ooooh! 100RR? Maybe I'll get one for my kid!
TAZ is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 12-22-2003, 10:50 AM
 
soon2b954's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-02-2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 47
Posts: 2,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20
 
Re: CBR1000RR Track Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULEWZ
I saw the Kawi at the motorcycle show and thought is looked cheaply made (POS), in typical Kawi fashion. Honda for me please! Examples are the cheap looking exhaust, hoses hanging down, controls, loose fuel tank (designed this way) etc.
soon2b954 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 12-23-2003, 6:21 PM
 
Join Date: 07-30-2002
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: CBR1000RR Track Test

The power/weight issues are all academic for me. I don't need anything faster than my 954. Overall ergo's and looks are most important to me. And for street/freeway riding, excuse me, full throttle on a 954? Are you guys serious?
Supperconductor is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda CBR1000RR Superbike Produces Close To 215 Horsepower freq Honda FireBlade 13 12-18-2003 10:26 AM
CBR1000RR at Daytona Test sprint Road Racing: Professional 77 12-12-2003 1:50 PM
Gautam and track days... HondaGal Honda FireBlade 33 10-17-2003 3:12 PM
Last track day of the year. Baketech Honda FireBlade 18 09-30-2003 6:20 PM
The good, the bad, and the ugly at Vegas coderedcbr Road Racing: Club / Amateur 9 05-15-2003 3:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome