929 Fireblade Standard Exhaust Question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-07-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 Fireblade Standard Exhaust Question

Hi everyone,

Quick question for you guys, I just bought a very well kept Fireblade 929, and I am looking to take off the rather loud blue flame and put the standard exhaust back on, at least until I can afford a power commander and setup time on the dyno anyway , anyway my question is do I need a gasket for the standard can ? On the pipe I took off there was a gasket there, but just assumed it was for that pipe only, however on replacing the new can it is blowing slightly through the front end of the exhaust. Have I just put it on incorrectly ? Or does this happen on all of them ? or do I need a gasket ?

Any help appreciated, looks to be a great site, hope to chat to all of you soon, I am loving the bike and think after 13 years of various other bikes I may have found the brand / model that I finally feel at one with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-07-2009, 11:53 AM

Reputation Power: 11

Re: 929 Fireblade Standard Exhaust Question

Neither one of my exhausts that I have put on had a gasket.... But I did notice that the first couple of times I changed them out, there was a little air getting loose from where the can connects to the midpipe. It was slightly misaligned, u have to wiggle and turn it a little once u have the bolts in and slightly secure. Not only that but u have to kind of hold the can up so its secure. Don't bolt it to the foot peg (hanger) until you have fully torqued the three bolts. I think thats why mine was leaking. I was aligning the three bolts and didn't fully torque then put it on the hanger to hold for stability. I have no leaks now.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-07-2009, 12:22 PM

Reputation Power: 78

I have had two slip ons and both slightly leaked at the base...

and of course, Welcome to the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-07-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Nice one, thanks for the info guys, I did indeed attach it to the hanger first and then do the bolts up so I will take them off and try and align it again properly and if it still blows a little then I am sure i'll live lol

Thanks for the welcome, looks to be a wealth of information, although cant seem to find anything related to this flapper mod that I hear everyone talking about.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-07-2009, 2:32 PM

the flapper is useless in terms of performance. It is used to limit noise of the intake below 8k rpm. It is a plastic flap in the airbox under the filter.

If you remove it, also detach the control cables from the servo under the seat on the left hand side.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-07-2009, 8:34 PM

Reputation Power: 31

So...., the flapper's only function is to help eliminate "intake noise"? please advise in as much detail as required.
Bob
post #7 of 10 Old 09-07-2009, 9:09 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Just a quick note: the 954 and 929 BOTH use a gasket between the midpipe and the muffler. Number 16 on the attached figure. It should be around $7 from the dealership...
Attached Thumbnails
2001CBR900RR53.gif‎  
post #8 of 10 Old 09-08-2009, 1:28 AM

The flapper is part of the blades intake/exhaust system. The other part the HTEV between the headers and midpipe

both are controlled by cable from a servo motor in the left side of the bike under the tank.

The gears inside are plastic and frequently strip causing code 35.

The servo moves at 3k rpm and 8k rpm. The first motion of 90 degrees of the servo at 3k only moves the HTEV to the 'midrange' position to allow a slightly less restrictive exhaust to boost backpressure and thereby midrange power.

At 8k rpm, the HTEV moves 180 degrees to fully open and the flapper is opened to allow increased air flow through the intake.

If the servo isnt working, it is not a big deal to simply safety wire the HTEV open to one of its three positions, however the flapper must be removed in order to prevent 'air starvation' above 8k rpm.

It has been stated that the flapper mod increases low/midrange, however it had already been done on my bike when I bought it so I cant support it.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-08-2009, 9:13 AM Thread Starter

I think I will leave it for the time being my previous bike (ZX636 C1h) had a race pipe on which eliminated the use of the servo motor and it did not like it at all, I was in the process of trying to source a standard underseat can to resolve when i got rid, so I think I will leave all this for the time being.

Its more power than I have had in a long time so I am going to enjoy it then maybe a year or so down the line start looking into modifying it if needs be then, I put the standard can on yesterday and took her out for a wee run and I dont like it, she sounds too quiet, so gonna stick back on the blueflame evo twin outlet today I think and look into getting a PC3 as quickly as possible So if anyone knows of anyone selling one let me know, my sister stays in the states iff anyone is unhappy shipping to Scotland so can get it shipped to her

Cheers..

Tony.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-08-2009, 3:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

my 929 had no gasket and didn't leak and has a blueflame evo on it now with no gasket and no leak. There isn't much pressure there with an almost straight through can to cause a leak. Hope it will be ok when you get it alligned.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page