Valve adjustment...before and after? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-07-2009, 3:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Valve adjustment...before and after?

So Im pretty sure my 929 needs a valve adjust. It taps more than it ever has and an ever so slight "deeper" tap at different RPM ranges, I wouldn't call it a knock but it much more noticeable of a tap than the norm. Plus I know its recommended at 16000 and mines now at 24000 and from what I know of the previous owner he didnt do it at 16000. Anyways my questions is how many others have adjusted there valves? And does it quiet up the bikes engine noise? Im always paranoid Ill spin a bearing (because ive spun one on a boat I had). What does a spun bearing sound like?.....(in these bikes...i know what it sounds like in my boat) Wouldnt it be a much more noticeable knocking than a tap? and would there be performance problems?

ANyways my main question is when people do the valve adjust does it quiet down? Also if Im paranoid about a bearing on its way out what should I be looking for? My last oil change (2 days ago) showed nothing more than dark oil really, it looked a little shiny right when it started to poor out but only for a sec. wouldnt I see bits of metal in the oil?? bits of metal normal at all? (that one sounds really dumb).

Last edited by temperedtim929; 09-07-2009 at 8:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-07-2009, 11:48 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via Yahoo to unfetteredmight
Re: Valve adjustment...before and after?

I can't tell you a thing about adjusting the valves on these bikes because I haven't had to do it yet, but I can share my experience with a spun bearing.

Basically, I had a spun bearing (about 3/8 of an inch into each other) and mine only had engine noise at idle, couldn't even tell at speed. I've been told that there can be streaks of silver in the oil, but if it's not changed regularly and it's black then you may never see anything. When I drained my oil, there wasn't any silver streaks in mine, but when I dropped the pan, there was about half a tablespoon of shiny metal at the bottom of it. A little bit of metal at break in when you change the oil is ok, a little bit of metal at 24,000 miles is not. If you have metal shavings, somethings not getting lubricated.

I would have never thought of that noise as a "tap" though. Basically, if you suspect that you may have one, drop your pan and look. If you do, there won't be any doubt.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 3:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

They were chhecked on my 929 at 16,000 and not one needed adjusting. my rr-w had them checked at 16,000 and 32,000 and none needed adjusting. hth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 5:58 PM

Reputation Power: 0

My RRW blade had its done at 16000 and didnt need any attention shes got 22500 on the clock at the minute and is still nice and quiet,but I do change the oil and filter very regular im sure it helps.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 5:51 PM

A Honda mechanic told me he's heard of Hondas with 50,000 miles and the valves are still within specs.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 6:25 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via Yahoo to sscottab

my 954 has 42,000 plus on it and never needed adjusting checked at 16 and 32 and sounds the same now as when i bought her.

when you are on a honda you are on the best
2002 CBR954RR
scott
www.itriderz.com
post #7 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 7:31 PM

Reputation Power: 12

my last 954 engine all valves for 3 cylinders were out of spec and #4 cylinder had no clearance at all on the exhaust valves... she had 30k on her.. 954's have loud top ends... best way to quiet the motor up is 20-50 oil (i live in arizona) and theres a pin that holds the tip on the cam chain tensioner, i've always taken a poker/pick tool and flared the pin to stop the cam chain tensioner tip from rattling, after my valve adjustment pre cam tensioner mod was loud too.. my recent new motor with only 1k miles on it tics too.. just a combination of very aggressive cams and and honda enginering along with short skirt pistons and large bearing clearances you cant really get rid of it.. and if u burn up a rod bearing you know its toast.. if your questioning yourself its obviously not spun.. and way to tell is copper pieces in your oil..
post #8 of 9 Old 09-10-2009, 2:27 PM

There's no one set sound for a spun bearing. I've had one make a slight clunking noise, one with slight tapping noise (mainly at idle) and one not make a sound (bike would rev up irratically). Valve clearances out of spec "can" make your topend noisy, only way to find out is to check. Even if they are all within tolerances, you get some peace of mind out of it. It's a fairly easy process (although space is very limited with engine in frame)
post #9 of 9 Old 09-12-2009, 4:36 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Valve gaps get tighter as a rule not looser! As the valve wares into the seat the gap is less, listening for a tapping valve is impossible if you ask me.. just a thought...

The saying goes a tappy tappet is a happy tappet..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page