HONDA VFR800 RUNS HOT - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-07-2009, 9:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

HONDA VFR800 RUNS HOT

I can`t seem to understand what the problem is I am having..
Last weekend took it for a pretty long ride in the hot weather,
the whole trip didn`t notice anything until I got back home and
seen coolant dripping from my bike. When I looked at the temp gauge
it had got up to 233. I took off the fairings and it looked like the coolant
was leaking from the radiator. When I took off the radiator, I didn`t notice any
cracks in the radiator..
Somebody help me pleeeeease...

Last edited by Indy_ridah; 09-08-2009 at 2:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-07-2009, 10:20 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Re: HONDA VFR800 RUNS HOT

Quote:
I took off the fairings and it looked like the coolant
was leaking from there.
Where exactly is "there?" I think you may have already found your problem. It could be something as simple as a hose clamp ...
post #3 of 6 Old 09-07-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

It appeared to be leaking from the radiator, but I didn`t see any cracks. I`m new at this soo i really don`t know what to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-07-2009, 10:40 PM

Ok ... if you're REALLY new to this, you may want to take it to a shop. I'd hate to give you advice and have you scald yourself.

If you don't know exactly where it's coming from, your best bet will be to refill the system - use distilled water for the test (but don't leave it in the engine for long without corrosion inhibitors, which most antifreezes provide). Follow the service manual (the owner's manual may have the instructions too) and refill the system ... for most systems this requires you to fill the radiator (MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS COLD) to the filler neck (and fill the reservoir - reserve tank - to the MAX line) and run the engine with the radiator cap off for two or three minutes. Blip the throttle a few times to release any stubborn air bubbles. **** off the engine. If the coolant (water in this case) is low, refill to the top of the radiator filler neck, then replace the radiator cap (recheck the reserve tank level too).

In your case, you can check for leaks while the bike is running with the radiator cap OFF. If you don't find any leaks, then follow the rest of the procedure - when you replace the cap, the system will then be able to operate under pressure (DO NOT REMOVE THE CAP UNTIL THE ENGINE IS COLD AGAIN). If it only leaks under pressure (radiator cap on), you may first want to check any hose connections (you said it was by the radiator, so check where the hoses connect to the radiator) -- it could be a weak clamp (or even a missing clamp), or a cracked hose, etc.

PLEASE DON'T BURN YOURSELF!!
post #5 of 6 Old 09-07-2009, 10:42 PM

Ooops, that was supposed to be "Shut off the engine" and not "Sh*t off the engine." Should've used spell check. Sorry about that one.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-08-2009, 1:45 AM Thread Starter

Ok...I will try that out. Thanks for the advice..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page