02 954; pouring fuel from exhaust..help! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 1:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

02 954; pouring fuel from exhaust..help!

I have an 02 954 with an issue that randomly just arose the other day. I was riding it, and it began losing power. When I jumped on the gas it fell on its face, and I turned around to notice some white smoke coming from the pipe. A few seconds after, I looked on the ground and it was POURING, and im not exaggerating; there had to be 1 qt's worth of fuel on the ground. When cranking after that, it just fills the cylinders with fuel and locks up. If the fuel pump is disconnected it will come to life and run normally for a few seconds, but as soon as I reconnect it; same problem occurs. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 1:14 AM

Reputation Power: 78

Re: 02 954; pouring fuel from exhaust..help!

Welcome to the forum first off!

Have you checked your fuel lines from the tank to the fuel rail?
Are you getting spark?
post #3 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 1:22 AM Thread Starter

Yea, fuel lines from the tank to the rail are clean and flowing well..also, plenty of spark...it will run maybe only about 3 seconds before the fuel is shooting out of the exhaust. And its firing on every cylinder. its totally weird...like the injectors are stuck wide open or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 1:31 AM

Reputation Power: 78

Interesting. Have you tried an ECU swap with another 929?
post #5 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 2:43 AM

Reputation Power: 11

well it sounds to me like the spring in the injector might have collapsed and not allowing it to close. It might run fine for three seconds due to its a pressurized system and with no pressure it is just trickling through the orifices for the injectors. Maybe pull them and have them checked for flow and make sure they are still good. Just my thought.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 6:11 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcskillet View Post
I have an 02 954 with an issue that randomly just arose the other day. I was riding it, and it began losing power. When I jumped on the gas it fell on its face, and I turned around to notice some white smoke coming from the pipe. A few seconds after, I looked on the ground and it was POURING, and im not exaggerating; there had to be 1 qt's worth of fuel on the ground. When cranking after that, it just fills the cylinders with fuel and locks up. If the fuel pump is disconnected it will come to life and run normally for a few seconds, but as soon as I reconnect it; same problem occurs. Any ideas?
Fuel pressure regulator.
Pull the vacuum hose off and it's probably wet with fuel.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 6:21 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via Yahoo to sscottab

a couple things to look at, the fuel pressure regulator, the ecu or the injectors sticking.If they are all flooding i would rule out the injectors themself unless something else has damaged them all. if the pressure regulator has stuck and increased the fuel pressure to the point to damage the injectors or push fuel past when close would flood out. If you have access to another ecu i would recommend swapping it out and checking because the ecu controls the injector opening and closing also known as injector pulse. is there any codes stored because there should be a cam or crank sensor that will tell the ecu when to open and close the injectors.

when you are on a honda you are on the best
2002 CBR954RR
scott
www.itriderz.com
post #8 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 6:27 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscottab View Post
if the pressure regulator has stuck and increased the fuel pressure to the point
The fuel pressure regulator doesn't get stuck.
The diaphram tears allowing fuel to bypass the injectors entirely.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #9 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 3:04 AM Thread Starter

Spot on with the fuel pressure regulator...I pulled the vacuum hose off of the fpr just after a start attempt and it was def. wet with fuel. I ordered a new fpr today ($90 Bucks! whoa) and hopefully this solves the problem. Ill let you guys know...thanks for all the help, this forum really is great and one of the best motorcycle forums on the net. thanks again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page