Touring blade - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-08-2009, 4:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Touring blade

Well, having covered 3,000 miles in 2 weeks, only 800 of them motorway, i can say with confidence this bikes not all day comfy. It is however all day giggle inducing fun.

couple of pics to show off the luggage carrying capacity of the sherpa:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-08-2009, 4:52 AM
FRD

Re: Touring blade

Very nice

but how did you keep the saddle bags from swinging under the tail and touching the tyre?
post #3 of 15 Old 09-08-2009, 6:33 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Good on you for doing some decent distance on a sporty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-08-2009, 6:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRD View Post
Very nice

but how did you keep the saddle bags from swinging under the tail and touching the tyre?
they strap over and under the tail piece, that coupled with the venura bag on top of the straps meant it wasnt going anywhere. Tested to 160Mph + on the autobhans and they never moved an inch.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-08-2009, 7:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Blade at Hull prior to a 2,500 mile blast round France. I do this at least once a year.
Givi luggage, Bagster tank harness and bag and a bum bag on the pillion seat for Giggies on the way back home,
post #6 of 15 Old 09-08-2009, 5:13 PM

I nmust travel very light then-Bagster tank bag and a bungeed on top box OR a waterproof stuffa bag bungeed on. But then I don't cart a tent around because I'm a big Suvvern Shandy Drinking Jessie who prefers the comfort of a bed.

My RRS is near enough all day comfy for 500 mile one day rides, but don't know how you cope on RR7's and RR8's, as the give me such back pain after 90 minutes, so a big to those that can.

Last edited by whysub; 09-08-2009 at 5:23 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-08-2009, 5:30 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Hi, I use mine for touring too. I like the idea of Ventura above the rear seat, but I would prefer to mount something like a Givi box above the rear seat. Does anyone know if there is any one selling a frame to do that, at the moment the only option I have is to fabricate one myself.

............. Hoody
post #8 of 15 Old 09-09-2009, 1:39 AM

That is awesome, I have used mine for touring a few times. My setup is a very large tankbag that I rest my upper body against, and in the back I have a 1 piece tailbag that doesnt drop bellow the rear seat, plus I've been looking fro a rear rack to hold my tent, air matress and a few other odd shaped items. The tailbag also has tie straps to put stuff on top of the bag. I also added a GPS, and if finances allow, this winter i will be adding a valenine one and integrated audio system (ipod, chatterbox, valentine, gps). I also found That seat beads keep my ass from getting all sticky and nasty from sitting on it all day.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1003/1000681kt8.jpg
post #9 of 15 Old 09-09-2009, 4:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
That is awesome, I have used mine for touring a few times. My setup is a very large tankbag that I rest my upper body against, and in the back I have a 1 piece tailbag that doesnt drop bellow the rear seat, plus I've been looking fro a rear rack to hold my tent, air matress and a few other odd shaped items. The tailbag also has tie straps to put stuff on top of the bag. I also added a GPS, and if finances allow, this winter i will be adding a valenine one and integrated audio system (ipod, chatterbox, valentine, gps). I also found That seat beads keep my ass from getting all sticky and nasty from sitting on it all day.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1003/1000681kt8.jpg
I hate tank bags with a vengeance, always feel like they compromise my riding style and ability to hussle the bike along. Still the most important thing is to have the weight as close to the centre line of the bike as possible as it keeps the bikes balance in tact.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody View Post
Hi, I use mine for touring too. I like the idea of Ventura above the rear seat, but I would prefer to mount something like a Givi box above the rear seat. Does anyone know if there is any one selling a frame to do that, at the moment the only option I have is to fabricate one myself.

............. Hoody
I amnot a fan of the Givi boxes as I think they add to much weight to the rear. This is why I prefer the ventura system.

That being said, if you want a givi, I have found several people on this forum & the VFRD forum who used ventura sport rack's as the mount for a givi rear box.

The ohter nice thing about the ventura systems is that you only have to buy a new bracket set for each bike. You can use the same racks & bags. (just like the bagster bags & bras)
post #11 of 15 Old 09-10-2009, 4:18 AM
FRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattyswad View Post
they strap over and under the tail piece, that coupled with the venura bag on top of the straps meant it wasnt going anywhere. Tested to 160Mph + on the autobhans and they never moved an inch.

Cool. Only I asked because after my last bit of touring my girlfriend was fed carrying the Kreiga 35L rucsack . So we tried some Givi saddle bags at a shop on the way but the seemed to swing under the tail. But, this was in addittion to the Ventura, Bag Connections tank bag. We went camping on the way to a track day. So all the gear was stripped off for the track day and put back on for the trip home. I have also got a Autocom setup so i can hear, her, the iPod and the Tomtom but not particularly in that order
post #12 of 15 Old 09-15-2009, 8:39 AM

Reputation Power: 11

For the Ventura system, I have used them for years, had a ZX9 when I changed bikes I kept the rack, as my ZZR14 had a different size. Now on a blade a it uses the same rack size as my ZX just needed a new bracket this time. BUT Ventura state the rack for the blade is only designed to carry the large bags sitting over the pillion seat and not on the back rack, so if you're carrying a pillion the option of a heavy bag on the rack may not be a good idea. Having looked at the fitting bracket I think that due to the way it fits would put excess stress on the fixing points if a heavy bag sat on the rack.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-15-2009, 9:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
For the Ventura system, I have used them for years, had a ZX9 when I changed bikes I kept the rack, as my ZZR14 had a different size. Now on a blade a it uses the same rack size as my ZX just needed a new bracket this time. BUT Ventura state the rack for the blade is only designed to carry the large bags sitting over the pillion seat and not on the back rack, so if you're carrying a pillion the option of a heavy bag on the rack may not be a good idea. Having looked at the fitting bracket I think that due to the way it fits would put excess stress on the fixing points if a heavy bag sat on the rack.
agree with the only having a heavy bag over the pillion seat, the L brackets fit into the four bolts holding the number plate assy to the bike.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-16-2009, 3:02 PM

Reputation Power: 19

I have the Ventura system for my 929 and love it over any strap on bag. The only thing I wish was different was the material used for the rack ... alloy would have been much lighter
post #15 of 15 Old 09-16-2009, 9:43 PM

Reputation Power: 17

sheepofblue would be proud

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page