Knocking sound...? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Knocking sound...?

So some of you may know Im a bit paranoid of some "newer" tapping coming from my motor. My bike has always been noisy and I can always here the injectors etc but I have been noticing some more direct tapping at different RPMS. Most noticeable at about 2000 RPM(loudest) then it goes away and come back around 5000RPM then seems to go away as you get higher in the RPM range (although over 8000RPM's is hard to make out anything as the motor is very loud and caotic). When I say tapping I do mean...tapping...(Ive spun a bearing in my 4 cylinder boat motor and that "knocking: sounded like a the piston was ready to shoot out the block...very obvious)

It also knocks/loud taps a bit right at start up after the bike has been sitting for a while...like its takes 10 second for everything to get lubricated and quiet down, once it quiets down "that" knock doesnt ever return.

Now I know my bike hasnt had a valve adjust and is prob do with 24,000 miles and Im happy to have it done over the winter (riding coming to an end here in Maine) but my worry and becoming more severe paranoya is the possibility of a spun bearing. Ive searched previous threaded about spun bearings and most seem to describe a knocking noise prior to there unfortunate discovery. what and how loud were these knockings? There seems to be a fine line between valve tapping (out of spec) and a louder...knock. So what do these knocking sounds that untimately end of in a discovered junk bearing sound like exactly and how loud/severe/obvious were they and did it just appear one day or did it start as a tap and prgressively get louder and louder?

OH AND..(edited) may I also say that when I carry a passenger...150lb or so plus my 200lbs, EVERYTHING...seems to get slightly louder.

Last edited by temperedtim929; 09-08-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-09-2009, 1:50 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Knocking sound...?

Try Youtube :-)
This one sounds good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Mv5...eature=channel

I don't think this one even has bearings in it - hard to watch him destroying his crank like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ubhk...eature=related

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 5 Old 09-09-2009, 2:07 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via Yahoo to unfetteredmight

Oh my god blade, that second one literally hurts my bones to listen to. But the commentator was amusing.

Like I said before, if your THAT worried, get an oil pan gasket and drop the pan. Your never going to feel confident about it one way or the other unless you look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-09-2009, 7:24 AM Thread Starter

Oh My God...and they just sit there and let it run....painful to watch! LOL my bike sounds NOTHING like either of those!
post #5 of 5 Old 09-09-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Alright so I took the bike to school today. Def sounds like valve lash not bearing knocks. Happens at 2000RPM and right at 5000RPM. More noticable at the 2000RPM and mostly under load...not to bad during a rev. Bike is as quiet as can be at idle and all other RPM ranges. Im gonna get the the valves checked and adjusted if needed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page