04RR Stock Fork Springs - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-09-2009, 4:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

04RR Stock Fork Springs

I weigh 91kgs and after consulting the Race tech calculator it appears that the stock springs are suitable for a 67kg rider. I havent owned my bike long but was about to start changing settings to improve handling.
Am I wasting my time with the stock springs.
Interesting phenomenen the stock rear spring is suitable for a 97kg rider, why would Honda have wildly miss matching spring rates on either end?
My VTR was the same far too light in front rate and heavier in the rear, is it a Honda thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-09-2009, 4:24 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 04RR Stock Fork Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo3006 View Post
I weigh 91kgs and after consulting the Race tech calculator it appears that the stock springs are suitable for a 67kg rider. I havent owned my bike long but was about to start changing settings to improve handling.
Am I wasting my time with the stock springs.
Interesting phenomenen the stock rear spring is suitable for a 97kg rider, why would Honda have wildly miss matching spring rates on either end?
My VTR was the same far too light in front rate and heavier in the rear, is it a Honda thing?
Those figures are specific to RaceTech, Honda may consider the springs to be set up for a different weight rider. And RaceTech probably don't make any allowance for carrying a pillion either.
Measure what your springs are doing to decide if you need lighter or heavier springs. It all comes down to how you - the rider - want the bike to behave.
I had to put heavier springs in my '98 GSXR but I've been racing the 929 on totally stock suspension with no trouble at all, and I'm over 100kg.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 5 Old 09-13-2009, 4:19 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good, so you think the stock springs should be able to be set up to suit me without a change. I am going to start making changes one at a time to see what I can be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-13-2009, 7:35 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo3006 View Post
Sounds good, so you think the stock springs should be able to be set up to suit me without a change. I am going to start making changes one at a time to see what I can be done.
It's entirely up to how you are riding the bike as to whether you can work with the springs you have.
I've heard guys of half my weight complaining the 929 springs are far too soft :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 5 Old 09-16-2009, 7:56 PM
GRD

Not sure why Honda selected the springs that way. Pillion? Handling? Front lower than the back sharpens up the the steering. The '06 model came with stronger springs in the forks, 1.0 kg as opposed to the 0.88 kg in the '04.
The '06 also had a softer spring in the rear. I think a lot of people complained of the harsh rear end.
A lot of people with '04 s do change out the springs for stronger ones. I'm 93 kg and my forks use almost 100% of their travel.They are away at the moment for some work which will include heavier springs, 0.95 kg or 1.00 kg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page