2009 HRC Clutch or clutch cable problem?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-11-2009, 9:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

2009 HRC Clutch or clutch cable problem??

Hi All..

I have a fireblade HRC Tricolor (2009). 4 months old and still giving me grief. Its been back to the dealers as it had a fault with the clutch and its supposed to have been fixed BUT 6 weeks on and its STILL playing up. The difficulty is in trying to describe the problem so i wanted to see if this makes sense to anyone else and whether you have the same problem (and whether its fixable)... so heres the problem...

When pulling the clutch lever, it feels like theres a bit of resistance and then it feels like it 'clicks' and the resistance is gone and the lever is then free-flowing (like it should be). This doesnt happen all the time and is predominantly when the bike is warm.

My knowledge of bikes is very limited - i use mine for travelling to and from work and thats about it... This is my 5th supersports bike and the only one i have had which has cause dme this much grief... if this can be fixed i'd be a happy-chappie once more..

Any help appreciated.
Floppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 2009 HRC Clutch or clutch cable problem??

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppy View Post
When pulling the clutch lever, it feels like theres a bit of resistance and then it feels like it 'clicks' and the resistance is gone and the lever is then free-flowing (like it should be). This doesnt happen all the time and is predominantly when the bike is warm.
I have heard this mentioned several times as being normal on these.
Have you tried others to see if they're the same?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 14 Old 09-13-2009, 2:19 PM

Hi there.
Is it mainly during downshifting?
If it does, it is normal as i know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-13-2009, 3:37 PM Thread Starter

Not at all... Unfortunately is when it both going up and down the gears. (but not every time)... Bloody thing is getting on my t***.

If it is indeed 'normal' on these bikes then i can honestly say i'm speechless (for once!). To me, it seems like a big flaw in the bike as it is soooo distracting and an uncomfortable 'feature'. If i had know it was going to do it i definitely wouldnt have upgraded the bike to the Fireblade.

On a positive note, the blade isa lovely looking bike but with the clutch as bad as it is i dont really enjoy riding it that much....

It would be nice to know if this fault can be rectified and indeed what is actually causing the 'clicky feeling'

Floppy
post #5 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 4:20 AM

I've just collected my Repsol 09 Blade. I traded in my 06 Blade on it and so have an idea of how the clutches compare.

My experience is that the clutch on the new bike only lets out at the very end (lever all the way out). On downshifting this is fine as I just pull the clutch, drop however many gears I want to and just let it go (trusting the slipper). Pulling away in 1st can be fun though as there is a very fine line between the clutch being engaged then disengaged. Sometimes there is also a "clicky" feeling as if the lever is catching on something as I pull it in. I don't use the clutch going up through the gears. It feels totally different to the 06 bike but I'm also not sure if this is as it's meant to be. I find I need higher revs to accelerate hard (5-6000) rather than the 06 Blade which pulled from about 3000. I wonder if this is the clutch still being partially engaged until the revs get higher.

I called the dealer about it who said that they don't think there's a problem but will check it out when it goes in for the first service on Friday. I always ask the dealer to take my bikes out for a proper road test when they work on them (using all the gears and some hard acceleration/braking). This way they have no comeback if there's a problem. I almost got killed once when a dealer botched a tyre, front fork oil, and brake change (all three had major faults).

I'm like Floppy, I love this bike but the clutch either takes some getting used to or is faulty.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 6:40 AM

noticed this as well on my 2009 hrc blade.mentioned it to the dealer at the 600 mile service.they contacted honda (2008 model underwent modified clutch parts) and compared it to another 2009 blade that was in at the same time.the conclusion was this was normal and may be because its a slipper clutch.as time has gone on it happens less.now done 3000 miles.please note it only did this occasionally with my bike.also the gearchange from 5 to 6th was very poor and the reply back was the bikes take a bit of bedding in.i have to say the gearbox is perfect now.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 8:09 AM

Reputation Power: 41

Mine was the same as Moby's.

I get an occasional "snick" in the clutch and my 2008 has had the clutch mod. It's normal and you just get used to it.

5th to 6th had a bit of a false neutral when new, but doesn't happen with a few thousand on the clock now.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 8:15 AM

I guess it just takes a while to get used to banging down 2-3 gears and dumping the clutch!
post #9 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 11:56 AM

Reputation Power: 11

Yep I've got an 09 Blade and have not been too impressed with the clutch, seem to miss gears, mainly 5-6 (not always but every now and again). I'd put it down to not being used to the bike and my previous bike having a hydraulic clutch. I tend to be a bit more deliberate with gear shifts now, but I have noticed a bit of a "snick" at times. Not pleasant when you're on the gas grab the clutch up a gear an revs up to the red line and your slowing down - bollox. Feel like a right arse, clutch, click in to gear, off again.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 3:39 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Just logged in with the intention of asking about the same question.

My RR9 clutch operation is exactly the same as described by others here, does it a lot but not every time. It's in for the 600 mile service on Thursday so'll I'll ask then, no doubt I'll be told "They all do that Sir"

Quick question about the back brake. It was abysmal when the bike was new, spent the last 580 miles riding with my foot on the brake trying to bed it in. It was so bad early on I couldn't do a hill start without rolling backwards. It has improved now from the original abysmal status to atrocious! Hill starts are possible but filtering slowly through traffic using only the back brake may result in accidents. Even if I stand on it on a wet road I can't lock the wheel. Piston is operating fine, just getting no friction. I'm convinced the pads or disks were contaminated during the build or they put in wooden pads.

Hopefully they'll stick new pads in at the 600 mile service and it'll be sorted, how's your back brake, any one else had similar problems?

--
John
post #11 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 4:51 PM

I understand what you mean John.

On both of my Blades the rear brake is only good for holding me when stopped. I try to use it under hard braking in an effort to lessen the front diving but don't think it does much good to be honest. My first Blade is what encouraged me on to the 98% front brake approach to slowing down as the rear just wasn't effective at all.

Having said that I can lock the rear up if I want. Definitely get them to check it. If you're not happy then tell the dealer. Their attitude should be to take you seriously and sort it out. If you don't get good service go somewhere else and let them know that you will.

I don't know if there's a post about good dealers or not.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 5:10 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtbuttons View Post
Definitely get them to check it. If you're not happy then tell the dealer. Their attitude should be to take you seriously and sort it out. If you don't get good service go somewhere else and let them know that you will.
Today I booked the bike in for its 600 mile service on Thursday, mentioned I'd like the rear brake looked at while its there and they said they'd check it out. I haven't had and don't expect to have any problems with the dealer (fingers crossed>

My RR5 had a poor rear brake in comparison to other bikes, but at least it was possible to lock the rear wheel on the wet. The brake on my RR9 is so poor there has to be a problem with it.

The last time I had problems like this was when a dealer done the 4000 mile service on my RR5, they got copper grease on the front disks and pads, no amount of cleaning/emerying of the disks/pads would fix the problem and they had to put new pads in eventually, this sorted it.

Other than the lack of a rear brake and the odd feeling using the clutch sometimes I really really like this bike. Didn't think it would be such an improvement on my RR5
post #13 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 5:27 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtbuttons View Post
On both of my Blades the rear brake is only good for holding me when stopped. I try to use it under hard braking in an effort to lessen the front diving but don't think it does much good to be honest. My first Blade is what encouraged me on to the 98% front brake approach to slowing down as the rear just wasn't effective at all.
Yep, the forward weight transfer that makes sportsbikes handle the way they do dictates that there is little if any weight on the rear tyre so there is no way of getting effective braking at the rear.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #14 of 14 Old 09-15-2009, 7:00 AM

Reputation Power: 11

Now got 1300 miles on the clock, just done a 130 mile run this morning, one 5-6 gear miss (It felt like it dropped out of 6th) I'm quite cautious on that change and have started quick shifting more because of it, touch wood I think it's getting better. If only there was a gear indicator I wouldn't have to keep checking revs to speed to see if there is one more gear to go.

As for the back brake, yep very little there but mine does lock if used too heavy. I rarely use it anyway front brake and engine braking in the dry and a bit of back if it's wet. Probably got cobwebs on my rear piston lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page