[954] Overheating and other problems on 954 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 7:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

[954] Overheating and other problems on 954

Hello there!
I am new member. I'm reading this forum for some time now but I didn't see anyone having the same problem as I've got with my '02 954.
I recently changed whole exhaust system to free flow (no HTEV) titanium downpipes and carbon Devil can I've shortened myself.
I did my first ride after changes this morning, and I was totally shocked and disappointed. There's completely NONE power from the bottom. It's hard to move at all. But over 3-4000 rpm it's running smooth. The other problem is overheating. Usualy in traffic the temperature was around 103 deg Celsius (217.4 F) but now it easily reached 115oC (239 F) which is something to worry about, I think. It could probably reach more, but I turned the engine off and wait for it to cool down.
Is there any chance to get some of power back from bottom, just for regular, everyday use without changing back to original exhaust system? Is this a matter of proper settings on dyno or other things? I've installed "+15bhp High Performance Power Module" hoping for smoothing flat spots and healing lack of power at bottom revs, but I think it's overheating even more after this.
Please help me guys...

P.S.
Sorry for my English. I hope I made myself clear enough.

Thanking you in advance,
Hoffman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 7:18 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: [954] Overheating and other problems on 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
Hello there!
I am new member. I'm reading this forum for some time now but I didn't see anyone having the same problem as I've got with my '02 954.
I recently changed whole exhaust system to free flow (no HTEV) titanium downpipes and carbon Devil can I've shortened myself.
I did my first ride after changes this morning, and I was totally shocked and disappointed. There's completely NONE power from the bottom. It's hard to move at all. But over 3-4000 rpm it's running smooth. The other problem is overheating. Usualy in traffic the temperature was around 103 deg Celsius (217.4 F) but now it easily reached 115oC (239 F) which is something to worry about, I think. It could probably reach more, but I turned the engine off and wait for it to cool down.
Is there any chance to get some of power back from bottom, just for regular, everyday use without changing back to original exhaust system? Is this a matter of proper settings on dyno or other things? I've installed "+15bhp High Performance Power Module" hoping for smoothing flat spots and healing lack of power at bottom revs, but I think it's overheating even more after this.
Please help me guys...

P.S.
Sorry for my English. I hope I made myself clear enough.

Thanking you in advance,
Hoffman
The OEM headers are already titanium.
There shouldn't be any usable power under 3000RPM anyway (it's a sportsbike) and the full system would reduce that even further.
Are you running a PC3 as you should be able to tune a lot of it back.
What exactly is this "15hp module" because it sounds like garbage.
Have you tried removing it?
It could just be running very lean.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 7:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for quick reply.
(quote) "+15bhp is used as a product name only, and does not necessarily represent the power gain acheved by the product" Celox Performance '+15bhp' Power Module
I know I can't expect some awesome pull from the bottom, it's not a V engine, but I didn't have any problems before I've replaced the downpipes and the end can. Unless I made it even worse installing that "wonderfull" chip. I'll try to remove it tomorrow and check if there's any difference.
What do you mean by "running lean"? What can I do to make it come back to normal? Does anyone have similar problems after changing the exhaust system? Apart from those changes the bike is stock, no PCIII or other fancy stuff. Just K&N filter and Denso Iridium spark plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 7:43 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thank you for quick reply.
(quote) "+15bhp is used as a product name only, and does not necessarily represent the power gain acheved by the product" Celox Performance '+15bhp' Power Module
I know I can't expect some awesome pull from the bottom, it's not a V engine, but I didn't have any problems before I've replaced the downpipes and the end can. Unless I made it even worse installing that "wonderfull" chip. I'll try to remove it tomorrow and check if there's any difference.
What do you mean by "running lean"? What can I do to make it come back to normal? Does anyone have similar problems after changing the exhaust system? Apart from those changes the bike is stock, no PCIII or other fancy stuff. Just K&N filter and Denso Iridium spark plugs.
I would throw the 15hp thing in the bin as it almost certainly does more harm than good. Even a full exhaust system probably won't give you 15hp. Definately remove it and see if it runs better though.
The 929 doesn't have any less bottom end than a V-engine - compare the 929cc inline-four with the 1000cc V-twin. Awesome V-torque is just that, all talk.
Yes, it's expected to lose midrange when fitting a full exhaust system, that's the point of them. They move power from the midrange (4000-8000RPM) to the topend (8000-12000RPM). Sportsbikes don't have bottom end (under 4000RPM).
With a full exhaust system it is almost a requirement to run a PC3 to tune the bike to run well although it's really up to rider preference whether they mind the ups and downs in the power.
The K&N filter is garbage and I'd recommend an OEM filter or a BMC if you must have a cleanable filter.
Running lean means too much air and too little fuel.
Did you remove the flapper from the airbox or is it still operated from the servo motor?
Attached Thumbnails
RC51dynoSportRider.jpg‎   929dynoSportRider.jpg‎  

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 7:44 PM
Global Moderator

Also, you haven't listed your location so you may have a bike that requires an O2 sensor in the exhaust system. Does your OEM mid-pipe have an O2 sensor in it?

post #6 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 8:01 PM Thread Starter

There's no sensor on the mid pipe. It's an English bike. I just removed that chip thing and I'll see if there's any changes first thing in the morning. I didn't do any other mods to the system, so the flapper is in its original form. I took out HTEV cables but I left the engine connected to wire loom. Will you recommend any mods I can easily do at home? I'm DIY friendly guy with two right hands And BTW, we're talking about 954 here.
Thanks!!
post #7 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 8:08 PM

Reputation Power: 12

its running lean... thats why its over heating..
post #8 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 8:08 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
There's no sensor on the mid pipe. It's an English bike. I just removed that chip thing and I'll see if there's any changes first thing in the morning. I didn't do any other mods to the system, so the flapper is in its original form. I took out HTEV cables but I left the engine connected to wire loom. Will you recommend any mods I can easily do at home? I'm DIY friendly guy with two right hands And BTW, we're talking about 954 here.
Thanks!!
As long as the flapper is still being operated by the servo motor it should be fine.
Number one recommendation is to drop one tooth down on the front sprocket. If you like that, then you can go up two on the rear as well without needing a new chain (assuming your chain is still good).
If you just want to play around, I'd remove the flapper from the airbox and remove the PAIR system. Neither actually affects the bike's performance but removing them does reduce the number of pointless gadgets that can go wrong, saves some weight and improves airflow around the cylinder head.
Other than that, ride it as much as you can - they're terrific bikes :-)

post #9 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 8:18 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much!
I'll let you know if removing that amazing yoke changed anything.
If it's running lean - what can I do to make it work right? I can't afford PCIII at the moment, maybe next month. But still - does it need to be set on dyno or will that work straight after it's plugged in?
I remembered one more thing, maybe it does matter. I felt like it's running out of gas at around 7000rpm, slowing down with the throttle open. And I'm not sure if it's the downpipes with no HTEV or the end can, but it makes some throaty sound (I'll try to put some on youtube this w-end) I never came across before.
Here's some of my previous exhaust sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJVj_PmxoFE
post #10 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 8:24 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thank you very much!
I'll let you know if removing that amazing yoke changed anything.
If it's running lean - what can I do to make it work right? I can't afford PCIII at the moment, maybe next month. But still - does it need to be set on dyno or will that work straight after it's plugged in?
I remembered one more thing, maybe it does matter. I felt like it's running out of gas at around 7000rpm, slowing down with the throttle open. And I'm not sure if it's the downpipes with no HTEV or the end can, but it makes some throaty sound (I'll try to put some on youtube this w-end) I never came across before.
Here's some of my previous exhaust sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJVj_PmxoFE
My concern is this gadget might be leaning it out so see if removing that helps first.
If it's still lean after that you will need a PC3 to tune the air/fuel ratio. You can just download maps from the website, you don't need to dyno it.
The 7000RPM problem may relate to what I've been asking about the flapper valve. When you disconnected the _two_ cables from the HTEV from the servo motor did you leave the third cable that operates the flapper?

post #11 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 8:46 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I just removed those two cables connected to the valve.
That chip yoke was recommended by the guy I bougth the downpipes from. He said it'll fix the problem with lack of power at the bottom revs.
Thank you very much! You helped me a lot!
I'll see if removing that thing worked and I'll come back for more info after getting PCIII fitted.
Thanks again!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page