pumping up a 929 questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 1:48 AM Thread Starter
JDC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

pumping up a 929 questions

Hi guys haven't been here long, but I'm working on a winter game plan to pump up my 01 929. had some ideas but my reserch is coming up short. I can't seem to find articals on what I'm looking to due. so I was looking for a little help. if I'm thinking of something stupid please shout it out.

1. Power commander
2. 2 up rear
3. port and polish the head
4. 3 or 4 angle cut the valves... maybe even go Ti valves
5. degree the cams for opt performance... is this a common issue?
6. 954 swing arm.... is it a direct fit?
7. I've heard a full system is not the way to go since the servo actually helps with the power
8. any mods I can do to the throttle bodies?
9 K&N air filter
10. ignition upgrades? do they make such a thing
11. better clutch

I'm trying to bump it up with out getting into the motor and spending a ton on new cams. all the work I'm planning is relativly cheep compared to cams and pistons.... if it will all help I should be able to bump the power up to around 145hp at the wheel.... I may be wrong is saying that. but thats why I'm here asking guys that have doing this for longer than I have.

Any help at all is greatly welcomed. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 2:02 AM

Re: pumping up a 929 questions

dyno screen shots show that k&n filter will restrict air flow over stock set up.
think that you'll find pcIII and a good (dyno tune) map will get your rocks off w/o drainin your account.

When life throws you a curve .............drag a knee
post #3 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 2:19 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
Hi guys haven't been here long, but I'm working on a winter game plan to pump up my 01 929. had some ideas but my reserch is coming up short. I can't seem to find articals on what I'm looking to due. so I was looking for a little help. if I'm thinking of something stupid please shout it out.

1. Power commander
2. 2 up rear
3. port and polish the head
4. 3 or 4 angle cut the valves... maybe even go Ti valves
5. degree the cams for opt performance... is this a common issue?
6. 954 swing arm.... is it a direct fit?
7. I've heard a full system is not the way to go since the servo actually helps with the power
8. any mods I can do to the throttle bodies?
9 K&N air filter
10. ignition upgrades? do they make such a thing
11. better clutch

I'm trying to bump it up with out getting into the motor and spending a ton on new cams. all the work I'm planning is relativly cheep compared to cams and pistons.... if it will all help I should be able to bump the power up to around 145hp at the wheel.... I may be wrong is saying that. but thats why I'm here asking guys that have doing this for longer than I have.

Any help at all is greatly welcomed. thanks
1. Required.
2. Good if you're already one down on the front.
3. Good but would be of more benefit with cams.
4. I wouldn't bother with more than a three-cut on a road engine. Ti valves are good _if_ you run lighter springs or run higher redline, otherwise there's little if any benefit.
5. I doubt degreeing is going to give much improvement on a stock engine with a fresh camchain.
6. As far as I know yes, but I'm not aware that it improves the bike, apart from saving perhaps 200gms weight.
7. HTEV is useful if you spend time below 4000RPM perhaps as it robs power from the topend. If you enjoy 8000RPM+ a full system is the way to go. Certainly if you're chasing a big peak number you need a full system.
8. 954 throttle bodies work well but again, expect to lose midrange.
9. K&N is junk. Go OEM or BMC.
10. Probably but I can't see any value in it for a stock engine.
11. Why? The clutch should be just fine.

If you're going to pull the head and throw hundreds of dollars at porting, valve cuts and even more still at ti valves and springs I'd recommend cams as well. In fact, I'd go cams instead of removing the head at all if you're working within a budget.
A full system and cams should get you your 145hp depending on what you're starting with on that particular dyno.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 2:24 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo View Post
dyno screen shots show that k&n filter will restrict air flow over stock set up.
think that you'll find pcIII and a good (dyno tune) map will get your rocks off w/o drainin your account.
Sure, but you probably won't break 130hp.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 10:45 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
In fact, I'd go cams instead of removing the head at all if you're working within a budget.
Unfortunately the money I print out isn't legal tender so I'm on a budget!

Who still makes cams for the 929 and where can I get them?
post #6 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post

Then, as I said, leave the head on and just throw a pair of cams in. Unless you're porting it yourself the cams are probably cheaper and will give more benefit.
Email APE, Crow, Yoshimura, Erion, etc and see what's around.
Or you can simply send yours to a cam grinder and have them reground to suit your needs.
Ivan Tighe does them down here - Tighe Cams, brisbane, camshafts, automotive, Motorcycle, diesel, semi finished - but there would be others around.

post #7 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 2:35 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post

check the marketplace, if I recall correctly I saw some used ones(2500 miles) for 250 shipped.....
post #8 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 4:42 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

a guy on here a long time ago put cams in his 929. spent hours and hours with Dan Kyle getting them degreed and getting a custom map made on the dyno. all for just a couple hp. completely not worth it unless you really get into the engine and do porting, high compression pistons and all that jazz.

Full system and a custom dyno tune is well worth it. I don't feel like I lost any power when I did mine. The tuner said there's a bit of a stumble below 4000 (and you can see it on the graph) and even worse below 2500 but there's nothing that can be done about it really. doesn't matter to me because if I'm at 4000 I'm just putting along and even then I'm rarely that low anyway.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #9 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Sure, but you probably won't break 130hp.
true, true, bang for the buck can't beat a MAP and exhaust. w/o losing any of that Honda reliability.

When life throws you a curve .............drag a knee
post #10 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 7:36 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo View Post
w/o losing any of that Honda reliability.
Honda reliability?
How many Honda's have you owned?

post #11 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 7:42 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
a guy on here a long time ago put cams in his 929. spent hours and hours with Dan Kyle getting them degreed and getting a custom map made on the dyno. all for just a couple hp. completely not worth it unless you really get into the engine and do porting, high compression pistons and all that jazz.

Full system and a custom dyno tune is well worth it. I don't feel like I lost any power when I did mine. The tuner said there's a bit of a stumble below 4000 (and you can see it on the graph) and even worse below 2500 but there's nothing that can be done about it really. doesn't matter to me because if I'm at 4000 I'm just putting along and even then I'm rarely that low anyway.
That's a really poor result from the cams. Do you know what cams they were and what else they were running with?

I agree, the 929 has more than enough midrange that any losses aren't missed, especally with custom mapping to smooth the dips.
I think the problem is only for riders that ride around in top gear instead of the proper gear for their road speed and situation. I never get up to fifth or sixth around town.

post #12 of 26 Old 09-15-2009, 8:46 AM Thread Starter
JDC

well after talking with people localy and reading what blade racer has to say. I belive I'm just for now going to put on a power commander and 1 down 2 up the gearing. and start saving for an exaust
post #13 of 26 Old 09-15-2009, 4:51 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Wise choice. you won't be disappointed. I did the cams and I'm still trying to get the horse out of them I had hoped for. But to be fair I have not found a decent tuner that I feel comfortable leaving my bike with. She's my babie.
Bob
post #14 of 26 Old 09-15-2009, 7:20 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
That's a really poor result from the cams. Do you know what cams they were and what else they were running with?

I agree, the 929 has more than enough midrange that any losses aren't missed, especally with custom mapping to smooth the dips.
I think the problem is only for riders that ride around in top gear instead of the proper gear for their road speed and situation. I never get up to fifth or sixth around town.
It was luvtolean, he hasn't been on here in a few years but if you search his posts it should be in there somewhere. I think they were Mori cams with identical specs to the HRC cams or something like that.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #15 of 26 Old 09-15-2009, 7:55 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERION929 View Post
Wise choice. you won't be disappointed. I did the cams and I'm still trying to get the horse out of them I had hoped for. But to be fair I have not found a decent tuner that I feel comfortable leaving my bike with. She's my babie.
Bob
What cams did u throw in ur erion i was thinkin about cams over the winter thought about the erion cams but not sure?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page