odd charging issue 900rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-14-2009, 6:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

odd charging issue 900rr

Here's one for you electrical geniuses. Since I've bought my bike I have put in new, batt, reg/rec had great charging after that then went to poop again so dropped in a new stator. Have an extra ground off batt and off the ground to RR. Now bike is charging close to 15V at idle and around 13 above 2,500rpms and the green ground off of rr gets hot. Guessing there is a bad spot in the ground loop somewheres. What do you think?
Bike is a 98.

Thanks for any and all help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-14-2009, 7:44 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: odd charging issue 900rr

Interesting.
How long has the new stator been in it?
If voltage is dropping when the rotor is spinning faster I can only suggest you check the output of each of the stator windings and inspect the rotor for any sign of damage. If you can borrow another rotor to try that would rule it out of the equation for sure.
I wouldn't think it's a regulator problem as the regulator doesn't know what revs the engine is doing so I can't see how it would change. It just takes whatever power is coming from the stator, converts it to DC, sends what is required to the battery and electrical system and dumps the excess as heat.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 12 Old 09-14-2009, 10:52 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via Yahoo to unfetteredmight

Quote:
Originally Posted by t96f View Post
Have an extra ground off batt and off the ground to RR.
Not sure I understand what you mean here?

Is the ground for the R/R still tied to the harness, or are you saying it's tied directly to the battery?
How hot are we talking, just warm or you can't stand to touch it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-15-2009, 6:49 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfetteredmight View Post
Not sure I understand what you mean here?

Is the ground for the R/R still tied to the harness, or are you saying it's tied directly to the battery?
How hot are we talking, just warm or you can't stand to touch it?
Good point.
I missed that bit.
Do you get the same readings if you disconnect this ground?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 12 Old 09-15-2009, 8:09 AM Thread Starter

The stator doesn't even have a mile on it. I dropped it in and then tested the voltage at battery. When it wasn't what it should be I walked away pissed off and left the bike in the garage. The rotor looked fine (like I'd know differently LOL) and highly doubt I'd be able to borrow one. Rare bike in these parts.

The grounds I speak of are 1- a wire run from the negative terminal of the batt to the frame. 2- I tapped in another wire off the ground from RR and tied that to the frame as well, actually the RR mount bolt. The ground is still into the harness just and extra close to the RR ground was my thought. The wire gets hot enough that you don't want to touch it. Mind you this still happened with the extra ground on it and haven't had a chance to check after new stator.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-15-2009, 8:52 AM
Global Moderator

Then I would definately remove whatever wiring you've altered and check it again.

post #7 of 12 Old 09-15-2009, 9:31 AM Thread Starter

The only wiring I have touched is the ground off the batt to the frame and the extra ground off the RR. I did the RR ground after the ground wire started getting to hot to touch. I doubt the batt ground is affecting anything as I put it on almost as soon as I bought the bike.

I'm thinking I have to chase the green ground and look for a bad spot. I saw the thread where buddy found a bad connector with the green grounds on a 929. Was hoping someone here would say check the conector located at XXXXX this is where the common grounds meet up.

Have I mentioned I hate electrical issues?
post #8 of 12 Old 09-15-2009, 9:40 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
The only wiring I have touched is the ground off the batt to the frame and the extra ground off the RR. I did the RR ground after the ground wire started getting to hot to touch. I doubt the batt ground is affecting anything as I put it on almost as soon as I bought the bike.

I'm thinking I have to chase the green ground and look for a bad spot. I saw the thread where buddy found a bad connector with the green grounds on a 929. Was hoping someone here would say check the conector located at XXXXX this is where the common grounds meet up.

Have I mentioned I hate electrical issues?
The charging system is periferal to the main harness though.
The stator goes to the regulator then to the battery and harness.
If you have low charge at the battery then it's unlikely to be due to a common ground further into the harness.

post #9 of 12 Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

If something is getting hotter than normal there's a short circuit somewhere.

I presume you have checked this but I recently (like a few days ago) had my 93 blade die on me.

After a bit of electrical deduction I worked out the battery was not getting charged by the bike

I measured the voltage at the battery terminals with a newly charged battery and was getting about 12.5VDC and when I rev'ed the engine to 5000 rpm I got exactly the same; it should be around 15VDC according to Mr Haynes (the manual that is).

The three yellow wires from the stator run up and under the seat, through a connector to the rectifier/regulator (on my bike). The connector must have had some water settled in it for a while and it had rusted/corroded.

I decided to remove the connector and hardwire the wires together (soldered) then covered them in self amalgamating tape which works well with water/moisture.

As this connector has a relatively large amount of current flowing through it the water wouldn't have to be sat there for long for it to corrode.

If I'd known about this I would have had a look at the connector a while ago. I couldn't actually see anything until I unplugged both halves of the connector.

As you probably have this connector I would have a look at it (check it if you haven't already) and then use a volt meter on the ohms setting to measure the resistance between the three yellow wires going back into the stator and going to the rectifier/regulator. Measure from wire to wire and measure from wire to chassis. If all the readings are the same (and none of them are close to zero ohms (i.e. a short)) then I would suggest the problem (short) is after the rectifier/regulator.

My tupence worth.

BTW I'm an electrical engineer, not that that means anything, just FYI
post #10 of 12 Old 09-15-2009, 10:24 AM

Don't sweat the extra wire off the negative terminal, it wouldn't have an effect, but why do you have it on there anyway?

So the factory R/R ground wire became hot, but not the new one you put from the R/R to the chassis?
It became hot after you put in a new R/R, or was like that before?

I want you to run a continuity check from that main ground circuit where it ties to the frame, big loop with a fat green wire, and the negative battery terminal.

It sounds like the R/R is struggling for a good ground, you have high resistance somewhere in the ground circuit, but we'll find it.

Last edited by unfetteredmight; 09-15-2009 at 11:34 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-15-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinw View Post
If something is getting hotter than normal there's a short circuit somewhere.
High resistance will cause a heat buildup as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinw View Post
As you probably have this connector I would have a look at it (check it if you haven't already) and then use a volt meter on the ohms setting to measure the resistance between the three yellow wires going back into the stator and going to the rectifier/regulator. Measure from wire to wire and measure from wire to chassis. If all the readings are the same (and none of them are close to zero ohms (i.e. a short)) then I would suggest the problem (short) is after the rectifier/regulator.
t96f, there should be 0.1 to 0.3 ohms of resistance between the yellow wires and no continuity at all from each wire to ground.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-15-2009, 10:56 AM

Um.....

Quote:
Now bike is charging close to 15V at idle and around 13 above 2,500rpms
Then...

Quote:
The stator doesn't even have a mile on it. I dropped it in and then tested the voltage at battery. When it wasn't what it should be I walked away pissed off and left the bike in the garage.
Which is it? Are you getting the right voltage or not?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page