If something is getting hotter than normal there's a short circuit somewhere.
I presume you have checked this but I recently (like a few days ago) had my 93 blade die on me.
After a bit of electrical deduction I worked out the battery was not getting charged by the bike
I measured the voltage at the battery terminals with a newly charged battery and was getting about 12.5VDC and when I rev'ed the engine to 5000 rpm I got exactly the same; it should be around 15VDC according to Mr Haynes (the manual that is).
The three yellow wires from the stator run up and under the seat, through a connector to the rectifier/regulator (on my bike). The connector must have had some water settled in it for a while and it had rusted/corroded.
I decided to remove the connector and hardwire the wires together (soldered) then covered them in self amalgamating tape which works well with water/moisture.
As this connector has a relatively large amount of current flowing through it the water wouldn't have to be sat there for long for it to corrode.
If I'd known about this I would have had a look at the connector a while ago. I couldn't actually see anything until I unplugged both halves of the connector.
As you probably have this connector I would have a look at it (check it if you haven't already) and then use a volt meter on the ohms setting to measure the resistance between the three yellow wires going back into the stator and going to the rectifier/regulator. Measure from wire to wire and measure from wire to chassis. If all the readings are the same (and none of them are close to zero ohms (i.e. a short)) then I would suggest the problem (short) is after the rectifier/regulator.
My tupence worth.
BTW I'm an electrical engineer, not that that means anything, just FYI