Plastech / plastifix anyone try these? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-20-2003, 6:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Plastech / plastifix anyone try these?

Anyone try any of these plastic fairing fixes??
I see quit a few of them around not sure if any of them are worth trying out.
Theres plastech, plastifix, and probably several others.

I have a crack in my front fairing that goes from the corner of the headlight to the edge all the way through. It seems to have just cracked from stress (too many hard bumps and too many times letting the front wheel slam back down), because the bike has never been down. I tried using quick steel putty and sanded it and painted it, it looked great but then it just came apart again after a few weeks. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with these products. The spot where the crack is has alot of tension on it since the fairing kinda bends in that area. So I need something that will hold it firmly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-21-2003, 12:44 AM

Re: Plastech / plastifix anyone try these?

I have plastifix and it works reasonably well. I repaired (copied the tab from the other side) a seat cowl with it and it broke about 6 months later. Make sure you clean the area well before using. Still works good, so I would say buy it.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-21-2003, 1:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULEWZ
I have plastifix and it works reasonably well. I repaired (copied the tab from the other side) a seat cowl with it and it broke about 6 months later. Make sure you clean the area well before using. Still works good, so I would say buy it.

Thanx for the reply I'll give it a try i guess. hope it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-21-2003, 11:51 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfmotorcycle
Anyone try any of these plastic fairing fixes??
I see quit a few of them around not sure if any of them are worth trying out.
Theres plastech, plastifix, and probably several others.

I have a crack in my front fairing that goes from the corner of the headlight to the edge all the way through. It seems to have just cracked from stress (too many hard bumps and too many times letting the front wheel slam back down), because the bike has never been down. I tried using quick steel putty and sanded it and painted it, it looked great but then it just came apart again after a few weeks. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with these products. The spot where the crack is has alot of tension on it since the fairing kinda bends in that area. So I need something that will hold it firmly.
Where did you get the placticfix from? Thanks. I'll give it a try
post #5 of 6 Old 12-21-2003, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligz
Where did you get the placticfix from? Thanks. I'll give it a try
I got it from Eastwood, but their prices are only good when on sale. http://www.eastwoodco.com/

Last edited by ULEWZ; 12-21-2003 at 12:08 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-22-2003, 11:56 AM

Reputation Power: 0

I've used plastifix several times: once to fab a tab, but mostly as backkup after I welded the plastic. Why don't you plastic weld the piece? Check out this website for instructions and pics:
http://www.urethanesupply.com/street.html

I used a low wattage soldering iron when I was welding. Follow the instructions, 'cut' a groove, and then weld it back up. I bought some of their sticks to use as filler, but any scrap of body material will work (sand it free of paint first). Note: I only worked on the back which allowed the crack to be seen on the front, but I didn't have to refinish and repaint the piece either. I then backed up the repair with fiberglass tape (sheetrock supplies at home depot) and plastifix. Urethanesupply sells the plastifix if you can't find it locally.

I did this on my F2 fairings two years ago and nothing has opened or 'moved.' The stresses on the repairs might not be the same, but it really worked for me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page