honda 929/954 no power to anything - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-09-2009, 7:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

honda 929/954 no power to anything

i am in desperate need of help from my fellow honda riders. i have a cbr 929 with a cbr 954 motor swap, power commander and half yoshi exhaust. the bike was running as beautiful as ever, no past problems except for the battery draining within 4 to 6 days if i ride or don't ride. i have a charger so i don't really worry about that but one day i had went for a ride and the pwer shut off to everything while riding with a fully charged battery. it started back up but not on the first try. a mile later it happened again at a light. started back up within 5 minutes but no power was going to anything during the no start time while cycling the key on and off/ engine run and stop cycling and so on. luckily the next time it started i made it to my storage unit where it died. i need troubleshooting tips and i am currently going through both 929 and 954 manuals. i am an auto technician by trade and am not scared to diagnose i just need guidence from people who might have experienced this before. thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-09-2009, 7:30 PM

Reputation Power: 78

Re: honda 929/954 no power to anything

Charging system is shot and may have caused the battery to develop a bad cell.

Follow the procedure to test the stator, then r/r!
post #3 of 18 Old 10-09-2009, 8:19 PM

Reputation Power: 20

have you checked the ignition switch???

IM OLD GREEEEEEG!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-09-2009, 8:27 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbd84 View Post
i am in desperate need of help from my fellow honda riders. i have a cbr 929 with a cbr 954 motor swap, power commander and half yoshi exhaust. the bike was running as beautiful as ever, no past problems except for the battery draining within 4 to 6 days if i ride or don't ride. i have a charger so i don't really worry about that but one day i had went for a ride and the pwer shut off to everything while riding with a fully charged battery. it started back up but not on the first try. a mile later it happened again at a light. started back up within 5 minutes but no power was going to anything during the no start time while cycling the key on and off/ engine run and stop cycling and so on. luckily the next time it started i made it to my storage unit where it died. i need troubleshooting tips and i am currently going through both 929 and 954 manuals. i am an auto technician by trade and am not scared to diagnose i just need guidence from people who might have experienced this before. thx
As an auto electrician surely you should be telling us what's wrong, not asking us.
If the battery is draining while the bike is sitting then you either have a stuffed battery or something is drawing power. Does it drain when disconnected from the bike as well?
The fact that it's dying as well probably points to the system not charging.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 18 Old 10-10-2009, 5:01 PM Thread Starter

the bike charges fine, the battery is fully functional and charges like a champ. i know automotive systems and just starting to learn motorcycle systems. the draining isn't really my concern because after i fully charged the battery there was still no power to anything with key on. i'm going to do more test today. the manual is so spread out it doesn't really have an exact flow chart to follow without the pages being too congested. i would appreciate any further guidence or advise anyone has to offer and thanks for responding, i'm new to the forum thing.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-10-2009, 5:04 PM Thread Starter

i haven't checked the ignition switch yet but will do today on with relays, tilt sensor. if you have any more ideas they will be much appreciated
post #7 of 18 Old 10-10-2009, 5:09 PM Thread Starter

i do believe its more towards the ignition system than a charging system problem i just don't know all the major components of the system and some locations. my manual is black and white and the pictures are not that big of a help in some situations.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-10-2009, 5:14 PM

Reputation Power: 78

Fuses?
post #9 of 18 Old 10-10-2009, 5:46 PM

Reputation Power: 20

thats what i would start(ignition switch)
then the harness

IM OLD GREEEEEEG!!!
post #10 of 18 Old 10-10-2009, 6:02 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via Yahoo to unfetteredmight

Quote:
no past problems except for the battery draining within 4 to 6 days if i ride or don't ride. i have a charger so i don't really worry about that
So your battery will die in 4 to 6 days, regardless of if you ride it or let it sit? So if it sat for 4 days, then you rode it for a day, then the next day it would be dead?

Quote:
the bike charges fine, the battery is fully functional and charges like a champ.
So you've checked charging output at the battery terminals and it was around 13.5?

Quote:
but one day i had went for a ride and the power shut off to everything while riding with a fully charged battery. it started back up but not on the first try. a mile later it happened again at a light. started back up within 5 minutes but no power was going to anything during the no start time while cycling the key on and off/ engine run and stop cycling and so on. luckily the next time it started i made it to my storage unit where it died. i need troubleshooting tips and i am currently going through both 929 and 954 manuals. i am an auto technician by trade and am not scared to diagnose i just need guidance from people who might have experienced this before. thx
The only tip I can give you is to systematically go through every possible device that can kill the bike, kill switch, kickstand switch, tip over switch, etc. There isn't any other way to do it other than to comb through every circuit.

Quote:
i know automotive systems and just starting to learn motorcycle systems.
Functionally the same.

Quote:
the draining isn't really my concern because after i fully charged the battery there was still no power to anything with key on.
Those batteries aren't cheap and dragging them down to nothing time and time again is hard on them. Be concerned.

Quote:
i'm going to do more test today. the manual is so spread out it doesn't really have an exact flow chart to follow without the pages being too congested. i would appreciate any further guidance or advise anyone has to offer and thanks for responding, i'm new to the forum thing.
So take the raw data and a bit of logic and go from there.

Quote:
i do believe its more towards the ignition system than a charging system problem i just don't know all the major components of the system and some locations. my manual is black and white and the pictures are not that big of a help in some situations.
Use those wiring diagrams, it should be all you need to find the problem. The color codes on the wires cross referenced to the components they are attached to on the diagram should tell you where each one is on the bike. Electrical gremlins are never fun to find.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-10-2009, 6:28 PM

Check the Kickstand switch. My bike never like start because the switch was broken off and didn't get the signal that the stand was closed. Easiest way to find out is to start up in neutral while stand is open. kick stand in and put it in first gear. If the bike shuts off your kickstand switch is broken.

Another problem i experienced was a wire contact of a ripped off rear blinker that was contacted and the fuse blew every time the bike was started.

Aloha ...
post #12 of 18 Old 10-10-2009, 7:23 PM Thread Starter

i just got finished doing a little trouble shooting guys and thanks for the advice (everyone). All of the fuses are good. I hate intermittent electrical problems with a passion!!! luckily it started right up this time so i was tapping everything i could to make it shut off... of course it wouldn't cut off. so the bike is still running while i'm looking around for connections and it cut off. the bike was getting hot so when the power cut off to the dash lights and engine the radiator fan was still activated (spining) until i turned the key off. i had to stop because it had stated raining and my storage unit is pretty tight for space. oh and by the way... power remained circulating through out the dash and everything work fine. i'm just having trouble duplicating the problem when i'm diagnosing. guess its back to studying these schematics again. thank you guys... hope yall have some more useful information for me
post #13 of 18 Old 10-20-2009, 5:06 AM

Hi All
Ive been on this site before as Chukkybut got new address etc etc.
Ive just looked for a electrcal problem on my 954 aswell.Ignition totaly dead.Checked the fuses,harnes everything,no problems,charged the battery,12.75V no promlem,so what now?So I take my car ,jump the battery and Wham the bike starts.I friggan hate working on DC power,anyway point being there are 12.75v but zero Amps,a real twot I feel now.Th ebattery charges but its as good as a torch battery.Now I have to put back the tailpiece etc etc.Check the battery FIRST
Cheers
post #14 of 18 Old 10-22-2009, 6:30 PM

wat it sounds like to me, if you have swapped out the engine then there is a good chance that somewhere some pins are in different places and draining battery. you are very very wrong to look elsewhere till you find out what is drawing down your battery, this is not intermittent. this will too cause your charging circuit to work extremly hard to bring the system back up to full, during this time your circuit can overload and simply turn off depending on the circuit protection used by honda or by your recent engine change out (fuse or resetable circuit breaker) this over charging can cause spikes in electrical current, a spike in the charging circuit would be enough for the pgm fi system to turn off to protect it self. its just wat they do. and that runs your whole bike. i would also suspect you have a bad battery connection.

tests. put mulitmeter test leads on battery while you crank the engine over. do something so the engine wont start, disconnect fuel pump fuse maybe. while cranking you should have around no less than 10 volts. if you have less your battery is rooted. if you have more do the same test at starter motor.

next test voltage drop.
hold one test lead on battery positive and the other on the starter postive terminal, set multimeter to volts and crank engine you should not read any more than 0.05 volts. if you do you have a bad connection FIX IT.
then do the same with the negative battery post to the engine. this time you should read less than 0.02 volts if you read more you need to repair your earth straps or maybe add a new good earth from battery to engine as manufactures often do a poor job with this.

get back to me
post #15 of 18 Old 10-22-2009, 6:41 PM

1. you can forget checking your switch on sidestand ect because you have no power to anything these items will just stop the engine running.
  • to test whether the bike is drawing current you need to turn off the bike disconnect on battery lead, set multimeter to AMPS DC thats the one with the straight line on top and dotted line underneath. and probably take the red mulitmeter lead and put it in a different hole in meter. put one lead on the battery and the other lead on the batter lead for the bike harness and see what your reading, IGN OFF, you may draw milliamps due to the HSS security system making the red ligt come on, if you draw any sort of current (measured in amps) leave the meter connected. and disconnect items till it reads zero. i would GUESS anymore than 0.005 amps needs to be investigated
take relays off and shake them if theyre loose replace them. also they have coils inside and coils get hot short and turn off sounds pretty viable for your trouble also. find the ignition one and swap it wth the headlight one. see if your headlights drop out instead of the whole bike. ignition switches are pretty well built in these things and prob wouldnt drop out but be dead. but if it looks to have had water in it or if you aim gerni at it to wash bike. it chatteres ect then test it with meter also.
you will be a busy boy

PRINT THIS HELP OUT AND FOLLOW STEP BY STEP RECORD ALL RESULTS AND SUBMIT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page