'02 954 rr high engine rev when gas pulled .. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-10-2009, 2:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

'02 954 rr high engine rev when gas pulled ..

Aloha !

I have a '02 954 rr that i just got for free. The pre owner used the bike for drag racing on our track for a few times and installed a Powershifter. I fixed up the Bike so far so good and changed all gaskets etc. to avoid leaking and so far. Now that i removed the Powershifter i reconnected all wiring from the harness to the spark plugs to original. When i start driving and i pull the throttle to get forward my bike revs all the way up to 10 000 rpm stays there while i am slowly moving forward until i reach the speed the 10 000 rpm would be reasonable ... where do i adjust the idle when i pull throttle ? what did i miss ? Or is the Bike broken for good ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-10-2009, 3:17 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: '02 954 rr high engine rev when gas pulled ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808state View Post
Aloha !

I have a '02 954 rr that i just got for free. The pre owner used the bike for drag racing on our track for a few times and installed a Powershifter. I fixed up the Bike so far so good and changed all gaskets etc. to avoid leaking and so far. Now that i removed the Powershifter i reconnected all wiring from the harness to the spark plugs to original. When i start driving and i pull the throttle to get forward my bike revs all the way up to 10 000 rpm stays there while i am slowly moving forward until i reach the speed the 10 000 rpm would be reasonable ... where do i adjust the idle when i pull throttle ? what did i miss ? Or is the Bike broken for good ?
Sounds like the clutch is toast.
Is the twist grip still functioning or is it jammed open?
The idle adjuster is mounted just in front of your left knee below the frame rail.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 13 Old 10-10-2009, 3:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Sounds like the clutch is toast.
Is the twist grip still functioning or is it jammed open?
The idle adjuster is mounted just in front of your left knee below the frame rail.

ok the clutch i believe .. i had to loosen the screw on the lever all the way out to tighten the cable that goes to the clutch . If the clutch is toast wouldn't my bike pull once i kick it into first gear ? dunno never changed a clutch yet.

the idle adjuster is only to adjust the idle while the bike is standing ? because that is just perfectly fine running by 0.9 - 1k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-10-2009, 3:41 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
ok the clutch i believe .. i had to loosen the screw on the lever all the way out to tighten the cable that goes to the clutch . If the clutch is toast wouldn't my bike pull once i kick it into first gear ? dunno never changed a clutch yet.

the idle adjuster is only to adjust the idle while the bike is standing ? because that is just perfectly fine running by 0.9 - 1k
That would happen if your clutch mechanism wouldn't disengage.
Yours is slipping.
Perhaps it's got some kind of launch system that holds the revs steady?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 13 Old 10-10-2009, 3:56 AM Thread Starter

Not that i've seen anything else than the Powershifter that i removed and the wiring is back to normal at the sparks. I couldn't see any changes when i took off the airfilter etc. everything seems to be normal. So you rekon to change the clutch ?

is it also normal for a toasted clutch that the engine revs high once you pull the throttle but no power at all or if .. than super slow ..
post #6 of 13 Old 10-10-2009, 3:58 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not that i've seen anything else than the Powershifter that i removed and the wiring is back to normal at the sparks. I couldn't see any changes when i took off the airfilter etc. everything seems to be normal. So you rekon to change the clutch ?
I don't know if you need to replace it but you definately need to investigate why it's not engaging. 10,000RPM makes it extremely likely that the plates are fried though.

post #7 of 13 Old 10-10-2009, 4:03 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
When i start driving and i pull the throttle to get forward my bike revs all the way up to 10 000 rpm stays there while i am slowly moving forward until i reach the speed the 10 000 rpm would be reasonable.
The revs only stay up when the bike is in gear? Blipping the throttle in neutral is fine?

post #8 of 13 Old 10-10-2009, 6:16 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via Yahoo to sscottab

I agree with bladeracer sounds like the clutch.
have you road before or are you new to bikes.

when you are on a honda you are on the best
2002 CBR954RR
scott
www.itriderz.com
post #9 of 13 Old 10-10-2009, 2:40 PM Thread Starter

Ok i just tried it this morning after i installed a new back tire. I started her up and drove down the road until 2k rpm everything seems fine but as soon as i pull the gas harder it goes up in rpm and not only to 10k it goes all the way and it takes forever before the bike is gaining speed. Yeah it is the clutch.

Yes i ride bike since 12 years , started with GSXR over R6 to cbr 600 now since 08 i have a 01 cbr 929 rr and just 2 weeks ago i scored this beautifull 954 . I am fixing her up because the pre owner was treating her like **** and he owed me a big favor so i called in the favor for the bike

I never had trouble with a clutch of any of my bikes because i either sold em or crashed em before any clutch problems could come up lol ...

I will replace the clutch as soon as possible . i just needed help with an idea after all i did already to the bike my brain was kind of stuck to think what could be next

Mahalo for your guys help i realy enjoy this forum
post #10 of 13 Old 10-10-2009, 7:17 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ok i just tried it this morning after i installed a new back tire. I started her up and drove down the road until 2k rpm everything seems fine but as soon as i pull the gas harder it goes up in rpm and not only to 10k it goes all the way and it takes forever before the bike is gaining speed. Yeah it is the clutch.
Does the twist grip still function or is it jammed open?
Does this only happen in gear or is it the same in neutral?

post #11 of 13 Old 10-14-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Today i opened my baby up and checked out the Clutch. Clutch still had meat and was clean and not realy burned but what i saw was actually that my cable was adjusted wrong. It was not totally releasing the clutch and thats why it made it slip. I put everything back together and adjusted the cable that i had about 1/4 inch play on the lever and when i held the clutch lever in first gear the bike doesn't jump forward. Now it works perfect i have my power back and took it right away for a spin and ran my baby on top of our Mauna Kea in 2600 feet elevation up to 174 mp/h

Thank you for your guys help and aloha ... cya in other posts
post #12 of 13 Old 10-14-2009, 3:03 AM

Reputation Power: 78

for easy fixes!
post #13 of 13 Old 10-14-2009, 10:08 AM

Reputation Power: 12

I'm not sure if the 954 clutches are more resilient than others but My bike was originally a stunter before I got it. I figured the clutch would have been pretty eaten up but 4,000 miles after i got it its still smooth as butter and catches like a champ.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page