Oil Leak on the right crankcase cover - 929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-11-2009, 1:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Oil Leak on the right crankcase cover - 929

Hi Guys,
I noticed that my bike is leaking some oil (just a few drops per week - I can't actually see it leaking, but it is currently stored in a garage, and from one week to another I noticed an oil stain under the right crankcase cover).
I was wondering what could be causing the leaking there? Is there a paper gasket that goes between the cover and the crankcase that could be replaced? I looked at the Honda drawings for that part and it didn't look like there was a gasket for that - like the one on the altarnator cover on the left side.

Let me know what you guys suggest I should do - I am definitely going to take the cover apart, but would like some insights for the assembly phase afterwards.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-11-2009, 11:29 AM

Re: Oil Leak on the right crankcase cover - 929

hello, once the gaskets wet it will continue to leak. can be caused from over full crankcase oil. always level bike to check or fill. you will need a new gasket both gasket surfaces clean and dry sealer not needed unless theirs a rubber alternator wiring coming from gromet. in that case 1104 bond will do the trick not silicone seal. tim do it your self.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-11-2009, 1:22 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstoys01 View Post
hello, once the gaskets wet it will continue to leak. can be caused from over full crankcase oil. always level bike to check or fill. you will need a new gasket both gasket surfaces clean and dry sealer not needed unless theirs a rubber alternator wiring coming from gromet. in that case 1104 bond will do the trick not silicone seal. tim do it your self.
I don't use sealant but I never install paper gaskets dry either. I wet both sides with oil first. In this case though, I don't think there is a gasket on the clutch cover although I haven't checked.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-11-2009, 6:44 PM

Reputation Power: 18

there is no gasket on the clutch side cover on 929's so it might be the silicone gave up on ya, if there is no damage to the cover or the casing.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 2:10 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrfxr View Post
there is no gasket on the clutch side cover on 929's so it might be the silicone gave up on ya, if there is no damage to the cover or the casing.
probably correct. just pull the cover off, scrape off all the old gasket then use some new rtv gasket maker. I'm pretty sure this is what I used when I did my clutch http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm easy to do and if its not the problem no big deal it was cheap

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 9:40 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys. I will be working on it next weekend, and will let you know the results - I hope it is just the liquid gasket that gave up on me - we will see.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-14-2009, 1:04 AM

The clutch cover doesn't have a gasket only the stator cover on the left. I just did mine on my 29 a week ago. Clean it up and use RTV high temp sealant. I paid 4$ for a tube in the local store. I prefer the red one because i can cut off on the outside what is sticking out and i can see better if i missed a spot. I use sealant since years and never realy had any trouble. I also used the RTV high temp sealant on my 954 and replaced the stator cover gasket because it was leaking.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-14-2009, 1:20 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808state View Post
The clutch cover doesn't have a gasket only the stator cover on the left. I just did mine on my 29 a week ago. Clean it up and use RTV high temp sealant. I paid 4$ for a tube in the local store. I prefer the red one because i can cut off on the outside what is sticking out and i can see better if i missed a spot. I use sealant since years and never realy had any trouble. I also used the RTV high temp sealant on my 954 and replaced the stator cover gasket because it was leaking.
If you can cut it off the outside how do you ensure there isn't excess on the inside as well? The problem with sealant is too much of it leaves dags that fall of into the sump and block the oil pickup.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #9 of 10 Old 10-14-2009, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
If you can cut it off the outside how do you ensure there isn't excess on the inside as well? The problem with sealant is too much of it leaves dags that fall of into the sump and block the oil pickup.
I never had anything dripping into the engine side. I take my time before i put the cover back on. the sealant can harden a lil bit and squeezes itself into the places where you need it. When i remove a cover after a few thousand miles i still have sealant that is sticking to the inside but it is also still attached to the edge of the covers and i never really had trouble of sealant being in places where it;s not suppose to be. I guess it is up to everyone how they do it and experience varies ...
post #10 of 10 Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via Yahoo to unfetteredmight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post

I've never used RTV for a gasket by itself, the results can be inconsistent. However I always spread a light coating on paper gaskets to take up any possible imperfections in the sealing surfaces. It's cheap insurance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page