Newbie Questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-13-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Newbie Questions

Hi guys,

I just came over from Germany and used to ride bikes for more than 20 years. I couldn't import my last bike (seemed to be too complicated to virtually impossible) and so I ended up with not having a bike for two months now. I went to a local large motorcycle dealer and I compared the latest 1k bikes. I like the Fireblade best and they have a new 08-Model on offer. Now, I have a couple of questions and some might be pretty basic to you. Besides, I might not use the proper English words... anyway, I'll give it a shot:

1. Are there any major differences between the 08 and the 09 model (except the optional ABS)? Both versions look quite similar to me and the salesman told me that there were just minor changes that are hardly worth talking about. True?
2. Since March 09, I have got serious problems with both of my forearms. This will hopefully disappear at some point. But until then, I would like to raise the bars (I think this is how it's called??). The salesman recommended a fixed raised bar, but I would like to have a flexible bar where you can make adjustments (e.g., up-middle-down). He didn't know of any other options, however. Any ideas?
3. I brought along my gear from Germany. The helmet fulfills all European standards, but doesn't have a DOT symbol. Now, I believe I have to make a Driver's License again and have to make a practical test. In the brochure they note that you'll net a DOT helmet. Do I have to buy a DOT helmet? Do I have to expect any problems in case of an accident (insurance) or when the police is pulling me over (ticket)? Any recommendations what helmet to go for (currently, I'm having the Schuberth S1Pro, but am looking for something more sporty)?
4. Any recommendations that you would change on the new bike?

Thank you very much for your comments - very much appreciated!

Freddy (aka xonox)

Last edited by XONOX; 10-14-2009 at 1:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 2:58 AM

Reputation Power: 78

Re: Newbie Questions

Willkommen in Amerika!

I grew up in Kiel

I can only state that there are many reports of oil consumption on the 08 and a clutch recall.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 3:57 AM

Reputation Power: 166

I believe there were some engine modifications to the 09, and some tweaks to the rear styling. Try searching on this forum, I think there might be something....???

I was looking at raising the bars on my Blade, start by looking at Gilles Variobars, Convertibars and Helibars (just google them). The problem on my model is that the clearance between the bars and the fairing is tight already - raising them looks like it'll cause the bars to foul on the fairing. I'm not familiar with the 08/09 front fairing so this may or may not be a problem.

No idea on the helmet as I'm not from the US, but at a guess I would say you need a US approved one.

I would also check out any info you can find about the 08/09 models using oil (lots of it in some cases). Some say the problem is far less commmon with the 09 model, some say they are about the same. Again do a search on this forum and you'll find something.

Good luck with your relocation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the feedback guys!

Kiel? Wow.. just moved over from Hamburg.. so just 60-90 mins. drive apart

I went to a shop selling helmets. I thought of getting a Suomy helmet, but the salesman told me that an ECE number is sufficient in the US. Thus, I won't have to get a new helmet with a DOT label necessarily. So, that's neat - could keep the Schuberth S1Pro helmet.

Regarding the changes between 08 and 09 cbr1000rr models, there doesn't seem to be done a lot of changes. So I would be happy with an 08 model.

I will definitely look into the different bars, but will start riding with the original ones. The riding position on the cbr is far more comfortable than on the Ducati and hopefully, I won't get much problems with my forearms. I found a very nice 08 cbr / new in red... could even use the gear (leather kit) that I already have.

Thanks again,

Freddy
post #5 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 12:49 AM

Aloha Nox .

Ich bin in 06 in die Staaten gekommen und musste mich auch erstmal an alles gewoehnen. Ich dagegen hatte beinahe 1 1/2 jahre kein Motorrad aufgrund von finanziellen schwierigkeiten .

Was Deine Frage in sachen Motorradkleidung angeht macht es wirklich gar keinen Unterschied was Du in den Staaten traegst. Es interessiert hier ehrlich gesagt keine Hupe was Du traegst oder ob es DOT ist oder nicht. Niemand wird es jemals nachschauen. Ich wurde einige male an die Seite gezogen von unserer Polizei hier und alles was Die kontrolliert haben war mein Fuehrerschein. ..

Willkommen in den Staaten

Hier ein Link zu einem Freund den ich kenne. Er ist aus Koeln und hat seinen Laden nun in Florida. Gute Teile und eventuell kann er Dir weiter helfen mit Deiner Lenkung .. Raise the Bar Sein Name ist Francois Buder und wenn Du ihn kontaktierst kann er Dir eventuell genau sagen was Du brauchst oder aber er stellt es fuer Dich her

~SF~ :: European Streetfighter
post #6 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 2:42 AM

Reputation Power: 78

Germanians unite!
post #7 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 9:33 AM

Hallo, ich bin auch aus Deutschland

und muss sagen mit meinem Helm hatte ich hier nie Probleme. Ich denke die Polizei ist froh wenn sie einen Full face helmet sehen. Da guckt keiner drauf ob dot oder nicht. Zu dem Fuehrerschein: Leider muss man hier mit seinem eigenem Motorrad erscheinen. Da ich zu der Zeit niemanden kannte der ein Motorrad hatte musste ich mir MSF antun. Dort wird einem ein Motorrad gestellt und am Ende bekommt man ein Zetifikat, das man dann beim DMV vorlegen kann und man bekommt den Fuehrerschein dafuer. (Weiss nicht ob das fuer Dich auch zutrifft).
Und zur 08/09 CBR 1000: Ich habe mir gerade eine angeschafft (08 Version weil wirklich ist dasselbe und gibt's im Moment sehr billig ). Wuerde ich auf jeden Fall wieder kaufen. Das einzige was Mist ist sind die Reifen. Die Bridgestone sind so schlecht die werden ueber Kurz oder Lang abgesetzt und vom meinem 'commuter' aufgebraucht.

Elke (aus Bochum)
post #8 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Hui.... sind ja doch ein paar aus good cold Germany hier .. vielen Dank fuer die vielen Tips!

Mein Problem ist die "fehlende Credit History".. muss ich erst aufbauen. Daher kann ich das gute Teil nur in bar kaufen, weswegen ich noch ein paar Wochen warten muss .. bahhhhhhhh. Und hier ist so eine richtig schoene fuer einen guten Preis. Na ja, wer weis wozu die Warterei gut ist.

Vielen Dank wg. dem MSF Tip: Habe mir jetzt mal darueber eine Broschuere besorgt. Zu bloed, dass ich die schoene cbr noch nicht in Cash zahlen kann.... in ein paar Tagen gibt's wieder Geld... vielleicht am Monatsende? Mal sehen.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-16-2009, 12:59 AM

Die credit History ist einfach aufzubauen. Hier ein Tip. Als ich in 06 in die Staaten kam hatte ich erst gar keinen Credit. Ich hab ne Bank gefunden die anfangs einen "secure loan" oder "secure credit line" angeboten hat. Du gibst Ihnen 500 $ und bekommst eine Credit Karte dafuer im Wert von 500. Du benutzt sie einmal im Monat um Sprit aufzuladen und zahlst es direkt danach wieder ein. Somit kommt man auf keine dumme ideen zu tief ins negative zu rutschen. Nach nem Monat oder 2 kommen mehr Karten angebote oder loan angebote rein. Nutze die die keine Annual Fee haben oder aber mit Deiner Bank verbunden sind. Benutze sie erst gar nicht, Du bekommst 2 1/2 Punkte angerechnet fuer alle 3 monate die die karte nicht im negativen ist. Nach einem Jahr cancelst du nach und nach die credit karten die annual fees haben nach nem jahr. Boom jetzt ist es 2009 und meine Credit Score ist 765 und ich hab kein Problem guenstige Credit Karten oder aber Loans zu bekommen mit geringem Zins wert .. ok jetzt aber genug davon ..

aloha ...
post #10 of 14 Old 10-16-2009, 4:44 PM

also wenn Du so kurz vor einem Kauf einer eigenen Maschine stehst, kannst Du es auch folgendermassen machen: Auf zum DMV fuer die theoretische Pruefung damit bekommst Du die Permit, mit der Du nur nicht nachts, auf der Autobahn, und mit einem Passagier fahren darfst. Alles andere ist okay. Damit kannste dann ueben gehen und fuer die Fahrpruefung dann auf Deinem eigenen Motorrad musste dann nix extra blechen.
Aber: geh' lieber zum DMV und guck Dir vorher den aufgemalten Kreis auf dem Parkplatz an. (Ist eigentlich das einzige was Du da fuer die Pruefung machen musst) aber der kann auf einem 'dicken Joghurtbecher' schon ein bisschen unangenehm sein.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-17-2009, 4:20 AM

Reputation Power: 59

I think i'll stay out of this one

Btw, welcome to the Org!

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #12 of 14 Old 10-17-2009, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam View Post
I think i'll stay out of this one

Btw, welcome to the Org!

Germans United in US lol .. hostile takeover ? or ... just lucky coincidence ? .. just kidding .. Always good to help someone out
post #13 of 14 Old 10-17-2009, 4:34 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

G'day &

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-22-2009, 1:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies! Will let you know when I get the bike (but might still have to wait for a while since I haven't got the full amount in cash... bahhhhhhh).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page