proper chain slack? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-16-2009, 4:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

proper chain slack?

i have a 01 cbr 929 and i just replaced the rear tire on it and now i hear kinda like a whining sound from the chain area. im thinking the chain is on to tight and there is not much slack in it. i was wondering what i should have the chain set to as far as slack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-16-2009, 4:34 PM

Reputation Power: 10

Re: proper chain slack?

I generally try to keep mine to a little under an inch. Almost a full inch, not quite.... About 7/8th of an inch

About 25mm in metric I'd say. This is what I have always kept it at on my dirtbikes and ATVs, much more than this and the chain slaps against the guides
post #3 of 9 Old 10-16-2009, 4:48 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brusslesprouts View Post
i have a 01 cbr 929 and i just replaced the rear tire on it and now i hear kinda like a whining sound from the chain area. im thinking the chain is on to tight and there is not much slack in it. i was wondering what i should have the chain set to as far as slack.
Unless you moved the axle adjusters (which is not necessary to change a tyre) the chain tension shouldn't have changed in any way at all. Neither should the wheel alignment unless you put in the axle spacers or adjuster blocks incorrectly.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-16-2009, 4:51 PM Thread Starter

the axle adjusters were moved but i also never heard the sound before the tire change
post #5 of 9 Old 10-16-2009, 4:57 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
the axle adjusters were moved but i also never heard the sound before the tire change
If the chain was adjusted then I would agree, it's probably too tight.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 9 Old 10-17-2009, 2:24 AM

Quote:

also make sure that both adjusters are in the same position a mm off can cause noise and trouble already .. i missed it once and was just too dumb to find it lol ...
post #7 of 9 Old 10-17-2009, 2:49 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808state View Post
also make sure that both adjusters are in the same position a mm off can cause noise and trouble already .. i missed it once and was just too dumb to find it lol ...
And to check this you measure from the centre of the axle to the centre of the swingarm pivot on each side of the bike.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-18-2009, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffesaurusRex View Post
I generally try to keep mine to a little under an inch. Almost a full inch, not quite.... About 7/8th of an inch

About 25mm in metric I'd say. This is what I have always kept it at on my dirtbikes and ATVs, much more than this and the chain slaps against the guides
You only run an inch of slack on a DIRTBIKE? They need way more slack than that... like, double. You should make sure that your suspension can travel through it's full range of motion without the chain stopping it.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-19-2009, 12:14 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
30-40mm at the center point off the chain between the front and rear sprocket. I set mine at 35mm. Check the slack with the bike on the sidestand. The chain may be tighter in some sections than others so check it in a few different spots. A chain a little on the loose side is always better than a tight one. Good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page