02 954 slipping into neutral - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-18-2009, 3:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

02 954 slipping into neutral

I just purchased an 02 954. When I shift from 1st to 2nd gear it slips back into neutral once i roll on the throttle. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-18-2009, 8:45 PM

Reputation Power: 18

post #3 of 13 Old 10-18-2009, 8:46 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-18-2009, 8:47 PM

Re: 02 954 slipping into neutral

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/gen...ear-954-a.html
these should help you. and good luck
post #5 of 13 Old 10-19-2009, 6:15 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsouth78 View Post
I just purchased an 02 954. When I shift from 1st to 2nd gear it slips back into neutral once i roll on the throttle. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Worn dogs.
Does it do it when you shift down from third to second as well?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 13 Old 10-19-2009, 8:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Worn dogs.
Does it do it when you shift down from third to second as well?
I never made it past 2nd gear, once It let me know it wasn't going to stay in second, I returned home and called the guy I bought it from. The day I purchased the bike was rainy and cold, so I didn't test ride it. Being kind of dumb and a noob I figured I was a little safer buying a used bike from a dealer....wrong.

He wrote me back last night and asked me to drain the oil and re service it with full synthetic. Would that make a difference, oil type and oil level? If the bike isn't service to the correct level, will it not stay in gear??

I don't know, this has been another bad experience for me. Thanks for everyones input and advise
post #7 of 13 Old 10-19-2009, 9:25 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I never made it past 2nd gear, once It let me know it wasn't going to stay in second, I returned home and called the guy I bought it from. The day I purchased the bike was rainy and cold, so I didn't test ride it. Being kind of dumb and a noob I figured I was a little safer buying a used bike from a dealer....wrong.

He wrote me back last night and asked me to drain the oil and re service it with full synthetic. Would that make a difference, oil type and oil level? If the bike isn't service to the correct level, will it not stay in gear??

I don't know, this has been another bad experience for me. Thanks for everyones input and advise
Changing the oil _might_ help it but if the dogs are worn they're still going to play up. If you bought it from a dealer take it back as "not fit for purpose".

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 13 Old 10-19-2009, 9:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Changing the oil _might_ help it but if the dogs are worn they're still going to play up. If you bought it from a dealer take it back as "not fit for purpose".

Thanks Larry, Im working with them right now to hopefully come up with a resolve to this issue. If they are willing to make the repairs and fix the issue I would be willing to keep the bike. If not, It could be a long and drawn out legal issue that would be no fun, meanwhile I still do not have a bike to ride
post #9 of 13 Old 10-19-2009, 5:01 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed954

Quote:

Changing the oil isn't gonna solve this issue. Worn out oil will cause slop shifting but not a constant slip into neutral also known as a flase neutral.

I agree with the worn dogs in the tranny. If you bought it from a dealer they should have some kind of 30 day return policy or 30 day power train warrenty.

Good luck!

"If you feel you're in control you're not going fast enough" ~ Mario Andretti
post #10 of 13 Old 10-21-2009, 1:45 PM Thread Starter

Well after a lot of research and working with the dealer, he decided to replace any worn parts in the transmission as long as I pay for the parts at dealer cost. He was going to cover the maintenance fees, which I was happy about.

So, I go out to my parking spot in the afternoon.....No Bike!!

Someone stole my bike that I have had for 5 days and have ridden less a mile. Some people are not worth shooting.

I filed a claim with my insurance and hopefully I don't get screwed. Do insurance companies go off of blue book or do they have some other scale they use?
post #11 of 13 Old 10-21-2009, 1:48 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I filed a claim with my insurance and hopefully I don't get screwed. Do insurance companies go off of blue book or do they have some other scale they use?
If you have an agreed value then they'll pay you that.
Otherwise they pay "market value" - what the bike might sell for in the market today. Since you just bought it I would expect the market value to be what you paid for it.
You would have to pay whatever the policy excess is (deductible I think you guys call it?).

post #12 of 13 Old 10-21-2009, 5:05 PM Thread Starter

I paid 4,000 for an 02 with 24,000 miles on it. I hope that after they minus the 500 dollar deductible, I'll still have enough to get a better/newer bike at auction. I have never had anything major stolen from me and it makes me sick to think people would be as useless to steal.

I hope who ever stole my bike gets a urinary tract infection and herpes!!
post #13 of 13 Old 10-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Global Moderator

There might even be a clause that if it's stolen within the first year or so then they agree the market value is what you paid for it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page