Absolute Tightest Valve Clearance before Failure - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-01-2009, 1:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Absolute Tightest Valve Clearance before Failure

Has anyone measured or have a calculated guess at how tight you can let the clearance get on a 929 before failure occurs? I know what the tolerances in the service manual are (IN- .16mm EX- .27mm both +-.03mm), but I'm interested in what the absolute tightest you can let an exhaust and intake valve get before major issues happen. I know there are probably a thousand different variables.

I just guessing that on the Intake you can let it get pretty close to no clearance before issues and on the Exhaust I'm not too sure with the extra heat expansion, but I'm guessing here again it might be the difference between Intake and Exhaust which it .11mm.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas or have actually measured this out somehow?

-Richie-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-01-2009, 1:30 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Absolute Tightest Valve Clearance before Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad13RR View Post
Has anyone measured or have a calculated guess at how tight you can let the clearance get on a 929 before failure occurs? I know what the tolerances in the service manual are (IN- .16mm EX- .27mm both +-.03mm), but I'm interested in what the absolute tightest you can let an exhaust and intake valve get before major issues happen. I know there are probably a thousand different variables.

I just guessing that on the Intake you can let it get pretty close to no clearance before issues and on the Exhaust I'm not too sure with the extra heat expansion, but I'm guessing here again it might be the difference between Intake and Exhaust which it .11mm.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas or have actually measured this out somehow?
The EX has larger clearances to allow for expansion already as it runs hotter than the IN valve.
The minimum spec is about as tight as you want it to be as any spike in temperature can push it over to where it holds the valve open during combustion and burns the valve face - and then you need to pull the head off to replace the valve.
One advantage to rocker systems is that you can set the clearances at minimum spec to maximise cam duration knowing that they'll get loose rather than tight. With shims they invariably get tight though as the valve "stretches" so you can't do this unless you're happy to go in and check them very regularly - like you would on a race engine.
The valve doesn't actually stretch very much but "valve stretch" is the usual way of refering to the way the valve clearance reduces with wear to the valve face, seat and collet groove.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 6 Old 11-01-2009, 1:34 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Larry is awesome
drop some rep on him for infinite knowledge

IM OLD GREEEEEEG!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-01-2009, 3:10 PM

Reputation Power: 0

As Bladeracer said...

As the valves get tighter than spec, the valve will begin to remain slightly open under operating temps. At first, you will notice a loss of power. The longer you allow it to be out of spec, the more damage will inevitably occur leading to failure of the valve train like a burnt valve. Keep the valves within spec if you want it to live a long healthy life..
post #5 of 6 Old 11-01-2009, 5:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
The EX has larger clearances to allow for expansion already as it runs hotter than the IN valve.
The minimum spec is about as tight as you want it to be as any spike in temperature can push it over to where it holds the valve open during combustion and burns the valve face - and then you need to pull the head off to replace the valve.
One advantage to rocker systems is that you can set the clearances at minimum spec to maximise cam duration knowing that they'll get loose rather than tight. With shims they invariably get tight though as the valve "stretches" so you can't do this unless you're happy to go in and check them very regularly - like you would on a race engine.
The valve doesn't actually stretch very much but "valve stretch" is the usual way of refering to the way the valve clearance reduces with wear to the valve face, seat and collet groove.
Um, not all rocker systems get loose. Ninja 250s are well known for burning exhaust valves if you don't adjust them on time.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-01-2009, 9:44 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Um, not all rocker systems get loose.
True, I should have said most rocker systems do :-)
Between cars and bikes that I've worked on (including one EX250R) I have never seen a rocker system clearances decrease. I'm sure there must be some that do though. Generally, the numerous moving parts and the clearances for each all add up over time to wear faster than the valve "stretches".

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page