Help! 06' burning oil??? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-01-2009, 3:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Help! 06' burning oil???

Hi all. New to the forum and seeking answers. I have an 06' 1000rr and it puts out dark smoke when I hit high revs. I just changed the oil at 6000 and I have added oil (about a 1/3 quart each time) two times since then. (Only 625 miles ago.) I bought the bike from a friend of mine who just wasn't riding it. With such low mileage, and knowing it was well maintained, what could be going on with this thing? Thanks for any help. ~Sikz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-01-2009, 3:30 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Help! 06' burning oil???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikz View Post
Hi all. New to the forum and seeking answers. I have an 06' 1000rr and it puts out dark smoke when I hit high revs. I just changed the oil at 6000 and I have added oil (about a 1/3 quart each time) two times since then. (Only 625 miles ago.) I bought the bike from a friend of mine who just wasn't riding it. With such low mileage, and knowing it was well maintained, what could be going on with this thing? Thanks for any help. ~Sikz
How high are the revs you're talking about?
What oil are you using?
How long was the bike sitting?
Any oil around the engine?
Any oil in the airbox?
If you're concerned then do a compression and leakdown test. If they check out okay, then check valve guides and seals.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 5 Old 11-01-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Hey Larry. Thanks for the reply. In the order your questions were written;
~Twisting the throttle to around 8k rpm and releasing.
~I put in full synthetic. Motul. The previous owner was using Mobil 1 full synthetic.
~Not sure how much the bike sat. At this time I know it sat long enough to kill the battery.
~No oil around the motor. This bike is real clean.
~I'll check the air box after I finish posting.
I have very little experience with fully synthetic oil. I'd previously heard that going back to regular oil is not recommended once you use full syn. I don't go to the track/race and so using 100%syn doesn't seem necessary. Your thoughts?
Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum Larry. Chat again soon.
Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikz View Post
Hey Larry. Thanks for the reply. In the order your questions were written;
~Twisting the throttle to around 8k rpm and releasing.
~I put in full synthetic. Motul. The previous owner was using Mobil 1 full synthetic.
~Not sure how much the bike sat. At this time I know it sat long enough to kill the battery.
~No oil around the motor. This bike is real clean.
~I'll check the air box after I finish posting.
I have very little experience with fully synthetic oil. I'd previously heard that going back to regular oil is not recommended once you use full syn. I don't go to the track/race and so using 100%syn doesn't seem necessary. Your thoughts?
Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum Larry. Chat again soon.
Danny
Do you mean revving it in neutral?
It's not unusual to see smoke in neutral if you're revving it that high.
I was more interested in the weight of the oil as lighter oil tends to blow past the rings more readily.
It it's been sitting a long time it's possible to get rust in the chambers if the airbox and muffler aren't plugged. On modern engines with plated riings and bores it's not such a big deal but valves and seats can still rust.
It doesn't matter whether you are swapping between full-synthetic, semi or mineral as all do the same job. I personally run semi-synthetic in all my engines. It's more important that the oil is clean so change it and the filter regularly.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 5 Old 11-01-2009, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Oh...10w40. =) I do know the bike was garaged all the time and there is no rust anywhere on the outside of the bike. The pipe and airbox were not plugged though.

Also; We noticed it blowing smoke when I would bring it up in second. Poppin the clutch for wheelies. It will also blow smoke if I rev it high in neutral.

Last edited by sikz; 11-01-2009 at 5:13 PM. Reason: To add another piece

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page