Gas / Fuel tap leak? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-01-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Gas / Fuel tap leak?

Hi guys, I'm new here, just got a '98 RR last week and it's amazing. However: I ran out and swapped to the reserve tank halfway down the motorway and then went to go fill up. Now, I might have overfilled the tank but there seems to be some fuel coming from the fuel tap, no matter what I set it to. Took the tank off and had a look to see what was happening, no leaks coming from the tap, but also the fuel cap seemed to be leaking too when I had the tank upside down to take the tap off.

Any ideas?

Cheers guys,
Conrad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-01-2009, 1:14 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Gas / Fuel tap leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakraist View Post
Hi guys, I'm new here, just got a '98 RR last week and it's amazing. However: I ran out and swapped to the reserve tank halfway down the motorway and then went to go fill up. Now, I might have overfilled the tank but there seems to be some fuel coming from the fuel tap, no matter what I set it to. Took the tank off and had a look to see what was happening, no leaks coming from the tap, but also the fuel cap seemed to be leaking too when I had the tank upside down to take the tap off.

Any ideas?

Cheers guys,
Conrad
Where are you seeing the fuel leaking from?
If you spill fuel in the well around the fuel filler it drains through a pipe that runs through the tank and out of a drain tube to the botoom of the fairing. Is this what you're seeing?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 18 Old 11-01-2009, 1:34 PM Thread Starter

A bunch of fuel did come out of the bottom of the fairing, yes. Also, there was fuel leaking around the fuel tap; I took the tank off like I said, locked the cap in again after I was done and it appears to be all sorted. Would the cap being slightly unlocked affect the fuel leaking at all?

Conrad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-01-2009, 1:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Send a message via AIM to SoliceDreamer Send a message via MSN to SoliceDreamer Send a message via Yahoo to SoliceDreamer

make sure all the lines are back on tightly
post #5 of 18 Old 11-01-2009, 1:43 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
A bunch of fuel did come out of the bottom of the fairing, yes. Also, there was fuel leaking around the fuel tap; I took the tank off like I said, locked the cap in again after I was done and it appears to be all sorted. Would the cap being slightly unlocked affect the fuel leaking at all?

Conrad
Definately.
Any fuel able to slosh out of the unsealed cap will drain out through that drain line into the fairing. It's not uncommon to find the drain tube has been removed so the fuel may simply be draining onto whatever sits under the outlet under the tank.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 18 Old 11-01-2009, 1:47 PM

Reputation Power: 11

remember to attach the vacumn hose!, took me 3 days to figure that out when it wouldnt run,lol
post #7 of 18 Old 11-01-2009, 1:50 PM

Reputation Power: 11

1999 Honda Motorcycle Parts for CBR900RR, OEM and Aftermarket at BikeBandit.com

check out ur model at this site, the fiche's are handy for parts etc
post #8 of 18 Old 11-01-2009, 2:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Definately.
Any fuel able to slosh out of the unsealed cap will drain out through that drain line into the fairing. It's not uncommon to find the drain tube has been removed so the fuel may simply be draining onto whatever sits under the outlet under the tank.
Interesting - there was definitely fuel on the fuel tap so assumed it was leaking there, but everything is tight and the lines are on safe and sound, both from the tank and both on the fuel tap. I will have a look in the fairing to see if there's any additional fuel there. Thanks!

Cheers guys - it seems to be fixed now. I was struggling a little with the push to lock cap...

Last edited by chakraist; 11-01-2009 at 2:44 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-01-2009, 6:15 PM Thread Starter

Still leaking a little around the fuel tap. Any ideas?
post #10 of 18 Old 11-01-2009, 9:56 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Still leaking a little around the fuel tap. Any ideas?
You'll need to determine where the leak is.
Is it the gasket between the tap and tank?
Is it leaking from the tap itself?
Or the fuel or vacuum lines?
If fuel is coming out around the tap itself then the diaphram inside might be torn.

post #11 of 18 Old 11-02-2009, 6:13 AM Thread Starter

Okay - the bike has leaked barely any fuel overnight - not enough to classify and it doesn't stink like it did yesterday, so either, I think it's the last of the petrol coming out of the drain tube or the tap is faulty- of course, it could be the seal on the tap that is the problem. I think I'll get some liquid gasket and seal everything up properly. The tap is on hand tightened- is that okay?
post #12 of 18 Old 11-02-2009, 6:17 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Okay - the bike has leaked barely any fuel overnight - not enough to classify and it doesn't stink like it did yesterday, so either, I think it's the last of the petrol coming out of the drain tube or the tap is faulty- of course, it could be the seal on the tap that is the problem. I think I'll get some liquid gasket and seal everything up properly. The tap is on hand tightened- is that okay?
Use sealant that is fuel-compatible if you have some - you don't want it to break down and go through the carbs.
I would think you'd want to nip it up rather than leave it hand tight.

post #13 of 18 Old 11-02-2009, 6:38 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, it's just that I don't have an adjustable spanner big enough. Hmm- thinking about it, part number 7 http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/sch...1004036036.gif here doesn't appear to exist on my bike, which may account for this- I haven't had it totally full with fuel before so the extra pressure may be causing a slight leak?
post #14 of 18 Old 11-02-2009, 6:59 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, it's just that I don't have an adjustable spanner big enough. Hmm- thinking about it, part number 7 http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/sch...1004036036.gif here doesn't appear to exist on my bike, which may account for this- I haven't had it totally full with fuel before so the extra pressure may be causing a slight leak?

Looks like an o-ring to me.

Last edited by bladeracer; 11-02-2009 at 7:06 AM.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-02-2009, 8:22 AM

Reputation Power: 166

I had a leaky fuel tap on an old TDM that I was going to resurrect, I fixed it by replacing the fuel tap seals. I got the parts from Wemoto, looking on there they don't do fuel tap seals for the Blade so maybe this tap is not repairable?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page