Running Hot - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-01-2009, 7:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Running Hot

1994 CB 1K

My bike almost always runs nice and cool until I get into traffic or stop with it idling. Within a minute or two the temp climbs up to under the danger zone, I've never let it get too hot but it seems as if it would overheat if I let it. It drops right back down once I get some air moving over it.

Has anyone ever had this trouble? How high should the needle get before the fan turns on? The gauge doesn't have degrees on it so I don't know any specific temps. Could it be that my coolant has lost it's conductivity? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Running Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgafuture View Post
1994 CB 1K

My bike almost always runs nice and cool until I get into traffic or stop with it idling. Within a minute or two the temp climbs up to under the danger zone, I've never let it get too hot but it seems as if it would overheat if I let it. It drops right back down once I get some air moving over it.

Has anyone ever had this trouble? How high should the needle get before the fan turns on? The gauge doesn't have degrees on it so I don't know any specific temps. Could it be that my coolant has lost it's conductivity? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
It is perfectly normal for the temperature to rise when you are stationary since no air is passing through the radiator.
If the fan works but is not coming on then it is not running too hot.
The fan should come on just past boiling point which is probably around the red zone on the gauge.
If you short the fan switch and the fan still doesn't come on then you will need to find out why.
If your coolant is more than a couple of years old then it needs replacing.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 5 Old 11-02-2009, 7:57 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the information. The fan does work, but it was a little un-nerving to have the gauge climb so high. I have a new thermo switch coming and I'm going to flush out the coolant since I just recently bought the bike. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-06-2009, 5:43 PM Thread Starter

Hey bladeracer, I flushed the coolant and the bike is running great now. I'm curious what you'd recommend as far as brand of oil to run. I'd like to run 20W50 in it. Does it make a difference? I'm not looking for performance, I just don't want to do any damage. Just riding for fun.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-07-2009, 1:29 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgafuture View Post
Hey bladeracer, I flushed the coolant and the bike is running great now. I'm curious what you'd recommend as far as brand of oil to run. I'd like to run 20W50 in it. Does it make a difference? I'm not looking for performance, I just don't want to do any damage. Just riding for fun.
Run whatever you like, it's just oil, but don't run anything that's friction modified or the clutch won't work.
The important thing is to change it regularly to keep it clean.
I run 15W50 semi-synthetic in all my engines and buy it in twenty-litre drums.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page