Possible Damage? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-03-2009, 6:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

Possible Damage?

Changed the rear tire the other day on my 954 and adjusted the slack in the chain, was a lil too loose. Went for a 30 mile ride and half way through I heard a knock, then I felt it in the pegs. Upon pulling over I noticed that any slack in the chain was pretty much gonzo. I went straight home and got the bike on the stand. Upon spinning the rear wheel, I noticed it getting hung up at one point in the rotation, and it seems to be coming from the front sprocket area.

A) Did I possibly bend the input shaft???

B) Really not sure why the chain tightened up, I've changed the tire many times.

Going to take an in depth look at it when I get home tonight.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-03-2009, 7:13 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Possible Damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psustang89 View Post
Changed the rear tire the other day on my 954 and adjusted the slack in the chain, was a lil too loose. Went for a 30 mile ride and half way through I heard a knock, then I felt it in the pegs. Upon pulling over I noticed that any slack in the chain was pretty much gonzo. I went straight home and got the bike on the stand. Upon spinning the rear wheel, I noticed it getting hung up at one point in the rotation, and it seems to be coming from the front sprocket area.

B) Really not sure why the chain tightened up, I've changed the tire many times.

Thanks
The "hanging up" you feel - do you mean the chain is too tight at this point?
You must adjust the chain to have the required slack at its tightest point. Try adjusting again at its tightest point and see if it's still a problem.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 7 Old 11-03-2009, 7:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
The "hanging up" you feel - do you mean the chain is too tight at this point?
You must adjust the chain to have the required slack at its tightest point. Try adjusting again at its tightest point and see if it's still a problem.
Most likely, almost seems like something is rubbing behind the front sprocket guard.

OK, never realized the chain would be tighter at certain points of the rotation, must have just gotten lucky till now. Is that b/c of the master link?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-03-2009, 7:27 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Most likely, almost seems like something is rubbing behind the front sprocket guard.

OK, never realized the chain would be tighter at certain points of the rotation, must have just gotten lucky till now. Is that b/c of the master link?

Thanks
No, it's because it's impossible to have 108 links all wear exactly the same amount :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 7 Old 11-03-2009, 11:34 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via Yahoo to unfetteredmight

Quote:

Thanks
Take the rim off and inspect the wheel bearings. Wrap your finger around the inside of them and spin them. If you feel any grinding at all replace the faulty bearing.

You sure the wheel is centered, did you tighten the axle retaining bolts to specification?
post #6 of 7 Old 11-04-2009, 6:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfetteredmight View Post
Take the rim off and inspect the wheel bearings. Wrap your finger around the inside of them and spin them. If you feel any grinding at all replace the faulty bearing.

You sure the wheel is centered, did you tighten the axle retaining bolts to specification?

Checked the bearings, seem fine. Pretty sure I just overtightened the chain.

If by tightened to spec you mean hand tightened, followed by a few light hits from the impact, then yes. Happen to know the spec off hand?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-04-2009, 12:04 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via Yahoo to unfetteredmight

Quote:
Checked the bearings, seem fine. Pretty sure I just overtightened the chain.

If by tightened to spec you mean hand tightened, followed by a few light hits from the impact, then yes. Happen to know the spec off hand?
You could also try rolling that axle on a piece of glass to see if it's bent.

I don't have the specs for your year bike, but I'm sure Blade does. But it's supposed to be 69ft-lbs for the axle nuts on mine.

This may also be helpful
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/a...t/Untitled.jpg

Notice it says to place it on it's side stand when adjusting the slack, not a lift or jack.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page