License plate relocation kit: undertail or side mounted on swing arm? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

View Poll Results: Relocating the rear license plate
Under the tail, near the rear wheel hugger 17 85.00%
on the side (plate will be sideways) attached to the swing arm 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-04-2009, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

License plate relocation kit: undertail or side mounted on swing arm?

Ok, I removed the rear turn signals and license plate holder and replaced the rear brake light with an integrated LED unit that has both brake lights and turn signals in it.

I am trying to figure out what kind of license plate relocation kit I want to get. Do I want to mount it under the tail (like close to the rear wheel hugger), or do I want to go for the kits that mount the plates side ways and attach at the swing arm? What kits do you folks use or like? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-04-2009, 1:32 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to WyoJames Send a message via MSN to WyoJames
Re: License plate relocation kit: undertail or side mounted on swing arm?

Might want to check your state laws...I know that in some states it is illegal to mount the tag sideways on your swingarm...and Cali might not like the undertail kit either because some of them limit the visibility of the tag

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
post #3 of 9 Old 11-04-2009, 1:39 AM Thread Starter

actually, I would risk it. I have the stock pieces, so if I do get pulled over then it's a $10 fix it ticket. After it was paid, i'd put it back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-04-2009, 1:52 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to WyoJames Send a message via MSN to WyoJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by submaniac View Post
actually, I would risk it. I have the stock pieces, so if I do get pulled over then it's a $10 fix it ticket. After it was paid, i'd put it back.

Be careful and check your laws just to be safe, I know in Florida it was like a grand for an improperly mounted tag for the first offense...don't know if it stuck though or if they got ride of it...that being said I have a competition werkes LTD eliminator that mounts on the bottom of my battery tray and I love it

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
post #5 of 9 Old 11-04-2009, 2:01 AM Thread Starter

§ 46.2-716. How license plates fastened to vehicle; altering appearance of license plates.

A. Every license plate shall be securely fastened to the motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer to which it is assigned:

1. So as to prevent the plate from swinging,

2. In a position to be clearly visible, and

3. In a condition to be clearly legible.

B. No colored glass, colored plastic, bracket, holder, mounting, frame, or any other type of covering shall be placed, mounted, or installed on, around, or over any license plate if such glass, plastic, bracket, holder, mounting, frame, or other type of covering in any way alters or obscures (i) the alpha-numeric information, (ii) the color of the license plate, (iii) the name or abbreviated name of the state wherein the vehicle is registered, or (iv) any character or characters, decal, stamp, or other device indicating the month or year in which the vehicle's registration expires. No insignia, emblems, or trailer hitches or couplings shall be mounted in such a way as to hide or obscure any portion of the license plate or render any portion of the license plate illegible.

C. The Superintendent may make such regulations as he may deem advisable to enforce the proper mounting and securing of the license plate on the vehicle.

(Code 1950, § 46-102; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-107; 1960, c. 119; 1986, c. 186; 1989, c. 727; 2000, c. 258; 2001, c. 19; 2006, c. 549.)

Positioning of Plates

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows:

(a) The rear license plate on a tow truck may be mounted on the left-hand side of the mast assembly at the rear of the cab of the vehicle, not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.

(b) The rear license plate on a tank vehicle hauling hazardous waste, as defined in Section 25117 of the Health and Safety Code, or asphalt material may be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.

(c) The rear license plate on a truck tractor may be mounted at the rear of the cab of the vehicle, but not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.

(d) The rear license plate of a vehicle designed by the manufacturer for the collection and transportation of garbage, rubbish, or refuse that is used regularly for the collection and transportation of that material by any person or governmental entity employed to collect, transport, and dispose of garbage, rubbish, or refuse may be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.

(e) The rear license plate on a two-axle livestock trailer may be mounted 12 inches or more, but not more than 90 inches, from the ground.

(f) ( )1 A covering ( )2 shall not be used on license plates except as follows:

(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. Any peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.

(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information, including, but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number.

( )1 A casing, shield, frame, border, product, or other device that obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by an electronic device operated by state or local law enforcement, an electronic device operated in connection with a toll road, high-occupancy toll lane, toll bridge, or other toll facility, or a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and 44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall not be installed on, or affixed to, a vehicle.

(h) (1) It is the ( )3 intent of the Legislature that an accommodation be made to persons with disabilities and to those persons who regularly transport persons with disabilities, to allow the removal and relocation of wheelchair lifts and wheelchair carriers without the necessity of removing and reattaching the vehicle's rear license plate. Therefore, it is not a violation of this section if the reading or recognition of a rear license plate is obstructed or impaired by a wheelchair lift or wheelchair carrier and all of the following requirements are met:

(A) The owner of the vehicle has been issued a special identification license plate pursuant to Section 5007, or the person using the wheelchair that is carried on the vehicle has been issued a distinguishing placard under Section 22511.55.

(B) (i) The operator of the vehicle displays a decal, designed and issued by the department, that contains the license plate number assigned to the vehicle transporting the wheelchair.

(ii) The decal is displayed on the rear window of the vehicle, in a location determined by the department, in consultation with the Department of the California Highway Patrol, so as to be clearly visible to law enforcement.

(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a decal is displayed pursuant to this subdivision, the requirements of this code that require the illumination of the license plate and the license plate number do not apply.

(3) The department shall adopt regulations governing the procedures for accepting and approving applications for decals, and issuing decals, authorized by this subdivision.

(4) This subdivision does not apply to a front license plate.

Amended Sec. 16, Ch. 1007, Stats. 1999. Effective January 1, 2000.
Amended Sec. 2, Ch. 626, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.
Amended Sec. 6, Ch. 650, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 273, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008.
The 2007 amendment added the italicized material, and at the point(s) indicated, deleted the following:

"No"
"may"
"Legislature’s" Quote:
License Plate Lamp

24601. Either the taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear license plate during darkness and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. When the rear license plate is illuminated by a lamp other than a required taillamp, the two lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times.

Amended Ch. 1313, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-04-2009, 2:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

First of all, it's now a $25 ticket (per item on it) not a $10 ticket.

Second... just mount it under the taillight
post #7 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 9:41 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoJames View Post
Might want to check your state laws...I know that in some states it is illegal to mount the tag sideways on your swingarm...and Cali might not like the undertail kit either because some of them limit the visibility of the tag

+1

$1000 fine in FL if the tag is vertical. Otherwise it just has to be "visible" from 100 feet in the day and 50 at night. there are laws here regarding the distance from the ground , and the distance to the centerline of the bumper, but unless you have some crazy wide a$$ rear end you shouldn't have to worry here.

Everything but the plate not being vertically mounted is a non moving violation.

Last edited by KSJNX; 11-05-2009 at 9:50 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-06-2009, 1:14 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the input. I am going with an undertail that goes near the hugger. I don't think it is quite legal but still $25 to fix, I will risk it (and thank you Junkie for the price update).
post #9 of 9 Old 06-03-2011, 5:09 PM

Reputation Power: 0

submaniac, what brand or part did you get? I want to do something similar, but can't seem to find much usable information on what part works for a 2006 1000rr.

Have any input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by submaniac View Post
Thank you guys for the input. I am going with an undertail that goes near the hugger. I don't think it is quite legal but still $25 to fix, I will risk it (and thank you Junkie for the price update).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page