Has anyone from America purchased fairings off of Ebay? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 11-04-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via Yahoo to unfetteredmight
Has anyone from America purchased fairings off of Ebay?

The reason being an American distributor claims to have a significantly better product for around 300.00 more than the ones from Ebay. I sent an email to them about it and they offered to give the location of a dealership that uses their replacement fairings for comparison, but I and anyone else looking for quality replacement fairings, needs someone who has actually seen the Ebay fairings to take a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-04-2009, 12:19 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed954
Re: Has anyone from America purchased fairings off of Ebay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfetteredmight View Post
The reason being an American distributor claims to have a significantly better product for around 300.00 more than the ones from Ebay. I sent an email to them about it and they offered to give the location of a dealership that uses their replacement fairings for comparison, but I and anyone else looking for quality replacement fairings, needs someone who has actually seen the Ebay fairings to take a look.
Personal opinion ..... if it's not OEM parts there WILL be some modifying to make everything fit proerply. You'll also have to get heat sheilding so you don't melt the FACK out of the plastics!

"If you feel you're in control you're not going fast enough" ~ Mario Andretti
post #3 of 30 Old 11-04-2009, 3:06 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Quote:
So far there have been very few reports on ebay fairings that required no modifacation to fit properly. But for the price I know I do not mind doing a little tweeking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 11-04-2009, 3:22 PM

Reputation Power: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySpeed954 View Post
Personal opinion ..... if it's not OEM parts there WILL be some modifying to make everything fit proerply.
I bought fairings for my katana. The paint finish was excellent but the fit was just okay. They are made of vaccum formed ABs and are significantly lighter than the oem pieces. when I was test fitting a piece, I broke an atachment pin on the back side. I needed to reposition a couple of the pins to help them fit into the rubber gromets. I also put extra glue around all the other attachement points. With that being said, I went ahead and ordered a set of Rothmans liveried fairings for my 1000rr. I'll do a build thread when they come in.
post #5 of 30 Old 11-04-2009, 11:43 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I have some on a 02 954rr the blue/black scheme. Every mount hole had to be opened up as they were not finished when they came out of the box. The paint was very nice and most of all they line up good just took some extra time with a dremel for the mount holes. Also keep in mind they are made a little diff and they are not as flexible as OE. That makes it real hard to get the tail section on.
post #6 of 30 Old 11-04-2009, 11:55 PM

I know this is not a great picture but it's all I have right now
Attached Thumbnails
S5000233-1.jpg‎  
post #7 of 30 Old 11-05-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsracing3 View Post
I know this is not a great picture but it's all I have right now
Looks nice. which company did you get them from?
post #8 of 30 Old 11-05-2009, 6:52 PM

Thay came from selectautomoto and I think they are out of business. They were selling on ********** thats how I found them but now they will not return e-mails.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-05-2009, 7:08 PM

Reputation Power: 14

do NOT do it bought a whole kit from hong kong for my old bike 929 fitment was complete **** farings cracking felt like i had to force them to get them on even in some what of the right location buy used oem or something else an yes you will need heat tape if you buy these garbage farings
post #10 of 30 Old 11-05-2009, 9:48 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via AIM to FTP_929

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySpeed954 View Post
Personal opinion ..... if it's not OEM parts there WILL be some modifying to make everything fit proerply. You'll also have to get heat sheilding so you don't melt the FACK out of the plastics!
i have hong kong fairings on my bike,the front cowl and tail didn't fit but the sides fit,all i had to do is stick a screw driver in the holes to make the hole big enough for screws

and i don't use heat shielding and i don't have any kind of melting : )

its just impossible to get welnuts in the holes for screws so i had to cut mine in half and put the bottom half of the nut behind the fairing and the top half on the other side..it kind of sucks but my bike looks pretty damn good
post #11 of 30 Old 11-06-2009, 3:31 PM

I Purchased some Hong Kong Fairings off of Ebay about a year ago. I was impressed with the paint and finish, and the holes were drilled through. Only issues I had was the fitment. I had a couple of small cracks develop that were fixed with plastic cement as a result of pulling too hard.

All in all I was satisfied for the price. I ended up using 1/4in sheets Dynaliner from Dyonmat for heat shield/noise. glad I hot it because There was some major heat hitting the plastics around the radiator and cases.
post #12 of 30 Old 11-07-2009, 3:05 AM

Reputation Power: 13

My Hong Kong eBay fairings arrived with a fantastic paint job, were a royal pain to mount, and suffered a catastrophic failure on the freeway. Going about 90 on a straight (no traffic), and the right side just blew off the side of the bike. Cracked around the headlight hole.
post #13 of 30 Old 11-07-2009, 9:52 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via Yahoo to unfetteredmight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
My Hong Kong eBay fairings arrived with a fantastic paint job, were a royal pain to mount, and suffered a catastrophic failure on the freeway. Going about 90 on a straight (no traffic), and the right side just blew off the side of the bike. Cracked around the headlight hole.
...and that, ladies and gentlemen, is what I'm most concerned about. Turns out the closest dealership, to me, that uses their fairings is in Whiteland, IN. It's about an hour and a half away so I'm gonna pack up my oem fairings and drive there with a dial caliper and a few other measuring tools in hand to inspect and compare their fairings to OEM.
post #14 of 30 Old 11-08-2009, 9:37 PM

I live in southern Indiana incase you wanna check mine out sometime. By the way mine have been on since july and have held up great I have been drag racing this bike and has been 110mph in the 1/8th mile and no cracks or split mount holes.
post #15 of 30 Old 11-09-2009, 5:13 PM

Reputation Power: 10

Quote:
...I'm gonna pack up my oem fairings and drive there with a dial caliper and a few other measuring tools in hand to inspect and compare their fairings to OEM.
You won't need a caliper to see that they are very different than the OEM. Knock on wood I have not had any problems with my Chinese fairing since I installed them.

It's really hit or miss. There are quite a few manufacturers and each of them will have varing levels of quality. Some are better than others but finding which one is the best from a picture on ebay will be a crap shoot.

Last edited by shodog; 11-28-2009 at 6:09 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page