Wheel Question 954 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 9:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Wheel Question 954

Hi All,

Its time for me to get a new tire. I have to replace the sprocket too (pos vortex), so I plan on taking the wheel off myself and putting it back on. I'm having the shop put the new tire on though.

My question is I noticed that according to the indicator on the swing arm, my wheel is already pushed back just over the "replacement" area for chain tension adjustment. The shop mounted the wheel last time I had it, and I didn't adjust it since then, so I'm wondering if this is important or not. I also have a 45t rear and one tooth down in the front, so I'm not sure if this makes the indicator inaccurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 9:22 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed954
Re: Wheel Question 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJNX View Post
Hi All,

Its time for me to get a new tire. I have to replace the sprocket too (pos vortex), so I plan on taking the wheel off myself and putting it back on. I'm having the shop put the new tire on though.

My question is I noticed that according to the indicator on the swing arm, my wheel is already pushed back just over the "replacement" area for chain tension adjustment. The shop mounted the wheel last time I had it, and I didn't adjust it since then, so I'm wondering if this is important or not. I also have a 45t rear and one tooth down in the front, so I'm not sure if this makes the indicator inaccurate.
Yes it is important ... sounds like you need to replace the chain as well.

I always recommend replacing the chain with the sprockets to that everything wears evenly and you don't destroy brand new parts with the remaining worn used parts.

"If you feel you're in control you're not going fast enough" ~ Mario Andretti
post #3 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 9:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySpeed954 View Post
Yes it is important ... sounds like you need to replace the chain as well.

I always recommend replacing the chain with the sprockets to that everything wears evenly and you don't destroy brand new parts with the remaining worn used parts.
ty for the info.

yeah I know its best to replace everything in one shot (I got a 20 minute lecture from the father), but my front sprocket looks like new, the chain appears to be in good condition also. Its just the soft aluminum rear sprocket pretty much lost all of its teeth.

Unfortunately I don't plan on keeping the bike much longer, so I think i'm going to skip a chain and sprocket replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Hi All,

The indicator is _only_ relevant with the original gearing - US and non-US bikes have different OEM gearing but I have no idea if the wear stickers are in the same place or not. If you alter the sprocket sizes the axle postion will change. How much mileage did you get out of the sprocket?
A new chain and sprockets makes the bike feel like new so it may be worth doing if you intend to sell it anyway.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 10:44 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed954

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
The indicator is _only_ relevant with the original gearing - US and non-US bikes have different OEM gearing but I have no idea if the wear stickers are in the same place or not. If you alter the sprocket sizes the axle postion will change. How much mileage did you get out of the sprocket?
A new chain and sprockets makes the bike feel like new so it may be worth doing if you intend to sell it anyway.
Exactly my point!

"If you feel you're in control you're not going fast enough" ~ Mario Andretti
post #6 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySpeed954 View Post
Exactly my point!
I think very few Americans allow test riding though so it'd be a moot point?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 2:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I figured gearing would do that. makes sense. I think I got about 5000 miles out of the rear sprocket. As I said, the front looks great and I don't see any grooves in the chain. Its probably not a bad idea to get a new chain though. I am replacing it with a 45t Afam rear (Aluminum I know, but i have heard great things).

And believe it or not the damn yanks do let each other test ride the bikes! I test rode it when i bought it and any other bike i have tested for a friend. Coming off of an old 600 the 954 felt like a cocaine rocket (I never tried booger sugar, so feel free to compare). I have heard some horror stories though so if I do sell it I think I might put something in writing before I let them test it.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 2:52 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I think I got about 5000 miles out of the rear sprocket.
5000 miles is terrible.
Was it correctly tensioned and kept clean and lubricated?

post #9 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 3:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
5000 miles is terrible.
Was it correctly tensioned and kept clean and lubricated?

The chain might be a little out of spec but not much. I also clean and lube the chain fairly regularly. I think it was just the poor quality of the sprocket. Not sure if you are familiar with Vortex, but after I bought one I found a lot of crap reviews. the teeth weren't even worn down. They are snapped off.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 3:02 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
The chain might be a little out of spec but not much. I also clean and lube the chain fairly regularly. I think it was just the poor quality of the sprocket. Not sure if you are familiar with Vortex, but after I bought one I found a lot of crap reviews. the teeth weren't even worn down. They are snapped off.
Yes, I know they had a terrible reputation but I haven't heard anything but good reviews for maybe five years now so I thought the problems were fixed. Could it be that old maybe?

post #11 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 3:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Literbike + 520 + cheap aluminum sprocket... doesn't really surprise me. I didn't get much better than that on my KTM 625SMC, and it had under half the power.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 3:27 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Literbike + 520 + cheap aluminum sprocket... doesn't really surprise me. I didn't get much better than that on my KTM 625SMC, and it had under half the power.
I'd get around 15,000kms out of my 520 chain and aluminium sprockets even under race stresses. I'd expect even more if I rode on the road exclusively.

post #13 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 4:03 PM

Reputation Power: 122

I have had nothing but good experiences with Vortex sprockets, they have good racer support, I bought my bike in 02 did a 520 conversion, and just replaced it about a month ago, that is road and track 10k miles worth, so I bought another Vortex sprocket. It is all about how well you take care of your stuff, and having it properly adjusted.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-06-2009, 3:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I know they had a terrible reputation but I haven't heard anything but good reviews for maybe five years now so I thought the problems were fixed. Could it be that old maybe?

It Could be an older sprocket. Not sure tho.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page