02 954 keys lost - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 11-10-2009, 4:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

02 954 keys lost

Hi,

My friend has lost the (only) key to his '02 954. The bike seems to be a US spec model because the turn signals stay on and it doesn't have the Fireblade moniker on it. It definitely has hiss. What should he do now?

I spoke to bikebandit.com and they suggest that the lock switch needs to be replaced and you're good to go. It will come with 2 new programmed and cut keys. He says the the ecm/ecu will have to be replaced.

In which year was HISS introduced in the US? I hear it was introduced first everywhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 11-10-2009, 5:26 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 02 954 keys lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Hi,

My friend has lost the (only) key to his '02 954. The bike seems to be a US spec model because the turn signals stay on and it doesn't have the Fireblade moniker on it. It definitely has hiss. What should he do now?

I spoke to bikebandit.com and they suggest that the lock switch needs to be replaced and you're good to go. It will come with 2 new programmed and cut keys. He says the the ecm/ecu will have to be replaced.

In which year was HISS introduced in the US? I hear it was introduced first everywhere else.
If it has HISS then it is definately not a US model - I'm not aware of any US bikes at all with HISS.
Then Bikebandit are wrong.
You will need to get a new or secondhand non-US HISS ECU _with_ matched keys. Only the ECU and keys matter although you may want to get the keys with an ignition switch already cut to match the keys.
All you need is a coded key within 50mm of the HISS sensor to trigger the HISS off, you can start the bike with a simple key cut to fit your existing ignition if you wish.
The alternative is to get the complete US ECU, harness, instruments and ignition switch and get rid of the HISS entirely.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 51 Old 11-10-2009, 7:36 AM Thread Starter

Isn't it known as the Fireblade in all markets other than the US? I've also noticed that the American bikes usually have their turn signals on all the time with the low beam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 11-10-2009, 7:42 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Isn't it known as the Fireblade in all markets other than the US? I've also noticed that the American bikes usually have their turn signals on all the time with the low beam.
I think it is a Fireblade everywhere except the US but I don't know that they all have the same stickers. Since it's hardly new the stickers could've been removed or the fairings may have been replaced with US parts already.
No idea about the lights but I'm sure it's not just the US and somebody may have modified it anyway.
The VIN will tell you which market it is.
SC44A are non-US bikes, SC44B is Germany and SC44C is France.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 51 Old 11-10-2009, 8:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I think it is a Fireblade everywhere except the US but I don't know that they all have the same stickers. Since it's hardly new the stickers could've been removed or the fairings may have been replaced with US parts already.
No idea about the lights but I'm sure it's not just the US and somebody may have modified it anyway.
The VIN will tell you which market it is.
SC44A are non-US bikes, SC44B is Germany and SC44C is France.
Thanks!

Its an SC50 bike. This is the chassis number on the right side though. The vin is on the left side, correct?
post #6 of 51 Old 11-10-2009, 8:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

uk bikes have run dip lights on all the time since about 2004.

Dealer should be able to supply keys (which coded chip inside) from the VIN on the log book if the ecu is original.
post #7 of 51 Old 11-10-2009, 8:26 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks!

Its an SC50 bike. This is the chassis number on the right side though. The vin is on the left side, correct?
Sorry, yes SC50 for the 954's :-)
No idea as the VIN tag can be anywhere. Here it's on the steering head.
The VIN _is_ the chassis number copied to the VIN tag which has the date and model among other information for licensing.

post #8 of 51 Old 11-10-2009, 8:28 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinehead View Post
uk bikes have run dip lights on all the time since about 2004.

Dealer should be able to supply keys (which coded chip inside) from the VIN on the log book if the ecu is original.
We had hard-wired lights for a few years but as far as I know the law was reversed some years ago. Many bikes are still hard-wired though simply because it would cost the manufacturer's money to change it unnecessarily.
Are you sure about the HISS keys?

post #9 of 51 Old 11-10-2009, 4:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry, yes SC50 for the 954's :-)
No idea as the VIN tag can be anywhere. Here it's on the steering head.
The VIN _is_ the chassis number copied to the VIN tag which has the date and model among other information for licensing.
So where are the SC50 bikes from?

The 954 service manual (pdf) that I have says that the VIN is always on the left side on the frame. Its an American manual though.

Quote:
We had hard-wired lights for a few years but as far as I know the law was reversed some years ago. Many bikes are still hard-wired though simply because it would cost the manufacturer's money to change it unnecessarily.
Are you sure about the HISS keys?
What do you mean by "hard-wired?

Is it a good idea to get a switch made for bikes so that you can switch off the low beam in the day?
post #10 of 51 Old 11-11-2009, 1:03 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
So where are the SC50 bikes from?

The 954 service manual (pdf) that I have says that the VIN is always on the left side on the frame. Its an American manual though.

What do you mean by "hard-wired?

Is it a good idea to get a switch made for bikes so that you can switch off the low beam in the day?
All 954's are SC50's. The A,B or C after it indicates which non-US market it was built for. US market bikes have a number instead of a letter - 0 for 49-state bikes and 1 for Cali bikes.
Hard-wired meaning they don't have a switch to turn the lights off.
It depends on your view of whether having your lights on makes it easier or harder to be seen by others. I personally don't believe it makes any difference if they're on or off if the other person isn't looking out for you anyway.

post #11 of 51 Old 11-11-2009, 4:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
All 954's are SC50's. The A,B or C after it indicates which non-US market it was built for. US market bikes have a number instead of a letter - 0 for 49-state bikes and 1 for Cali bikes.
Hard-wired meaning they don't have a switch to turn the lights off.
It depends on your view of whether having your lights on makes it easier or harder to be seen by others. I personally don't believe it makes any difference if they're on or off if the other person isn't looking out for you anyway.
This bike doesnt have any letters after the SC50. Its all numbers after that. Something like SC501144. Will post the exact number.
post #12 of 51 Old 11-11-2009, 5:00 PM

Reputation Power: 10

Back to the orignal question, you may be able to pick the lock on the gas cap then cut a key from that.
post #13 of 51 Old 11-11-2009, 5:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodog View Post
Back to the orignal question, you may be able to pick the lock on the gas cap then cut a key from that.
That will only help to unlock the steering lock, not start the bike .
post #14 of 51 Old 11-11-2009, 6:03 PM

Reputation Power: 18

would'nt it be easier to take the trunk lock out and bring it to a lock smith?
post #15 of 51 Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
This bike doesnt have any letters after the SC50. Its all numbers after that. Something like SC501144. Will post the exact number.
In that case it's a US bike - and doesn't have HISS.
Has it got the HISS sensor around the ignition?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page