Slip-on for 08 oil burner - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-14-2009, 9:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Slip-on for 08 oil burner

I have an 08 oil burning Ratblade (aka the Exxon Valdeze) which I am considering dressing up with an Akropovic slip-on.

One of the mysterious features of the oil burners is that no-one seems to know where the oil goes - no blue smoke, no icky goo round the exhaust, nothing.

Now I read a forum where some chap speculated that the cat converter is catching the burned/unburned oil and dealing with it like a cat converter should. That sounded plausible to me.

So here's the question: if I fit a slip-on (and hence ditch the cat converter) will I start to see clouds of blue smoke and goo? Anyone out there fitted a slip-on to an oil burner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Mor

Reputation Power: 11

Re: Slip-on for 08 oil burner

I've Yoshi full system and no blue smoke. So, You shouldn't worry.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwood View Post
One of the mysterious features of the oil burners is that no-one seems to know where the oil goes - no blue smoke, no icky goo round the exhaust, nothing.
There are videos on Youtube of '08 Blades burning oil and the smoke makes it fairly clear where it's going. How much oil is yours using?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-15-2009, 4:24 AM Thread Starter

That's interesting Mor but just to clarify: you do have an oil burner right?

Bladeracer: Using about 1litre per 1400 kms. I have read variously that Honda says 1l.1000kms or 1l.1000miles is within tolerance. I don't which, if either, is true. Do you know if there is an official Honda line about this?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-15-2009, 4:28 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwood View Post
Bladeracer: Using about 1litre per 1400 kms. I have read variously that Honda says 1l.1000kms or 1l.1000miles is within tolerance. I don't which, if either, is true. Do you know if there is an official Honda line about this?
With that sort of usage your friends should definately be seeing smoke when following you.
I'm not aware of any _truthful_ line from Honda, there are a number of very obvious lies though :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 7 Old 11-25-2009, 6:51 AM Thread Starter

That's what's odd. I have ridden with the same group of chaps regularly for the last 18 months and my Ratblade is known to all affectionately as the "Exxon Valdeze". However all have testified that there is no smoke from the exhaust, even on the track.
Its a puzzle.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-25-2009, 7:12 AM

Reputation Power: 36

To answer your original question, a catalytic converter does not burn up the oil coming through. It converts three other harmful gases but not oil. As a matter of fact, continued oil consumption is more likely to plug up the converter and create a restriction in the exhaust because of the build up.

So you should not notice any more smoke if you remove it if you don't now. That is a mystery because with that kind of useage, it should be easily visible in my view.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page