Gassy oil??? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-17-2009, 6:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Gassy oil???

So I lost my oil cap on a ride the other night. Later I smelled gas. So I started looking all over the bike. That was when I noticed the oil cap was gone and that is where the oil smell was coming from.
Why would the oil smell like gasoline?????
The engine is all stock. The only performance upgrades are the new plugs, BSM air filter, and sprocket change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-17-2009, 7:02 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Gassy oil???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelininvincibl View Post
So I lost my oil cap on a ride the other night. Later I smelled gas. So I started looking all over the bike. That was when I noticed the oil cap was gone and that is where the oil smell was coming from.
Why would the oil smell like gasoline?????
The engine is all stock. The only performance upgrades are the new plugs, BSM air filter, and sprocket change.
Fuel pressure regulator.
Pull the vacuum line off and make sure it's not letting fuel through.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 17 Old 11-17-2009, 8:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Fuel pressure regulator.
Pull the vacuum line off and make sure it's not letting fuel through.
Alright, so I'm really new to motorcycle mechanics and locations of parts. I can rebuild a Chevy 350 though. I have changed the oil, plugs, air filter, high pressure fuel line and little things like that. Where do I find the fuel pressure regulator and how do I tell if that is the cause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-17-2009, 9:02 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Alright, so I'm really new to motorcycle mechanics and locations of parts. I can rebuild a Chevy 350 though. I have changed the oil, plugs, air filter, high pressure fuel line and little things like that. Where do I find the fuel pressure regulator and how do I tell if that is the cause?
Chevy engines are more primative than Harleys - anybody can build those things :-)
It's on the left end of the fuel rail. The vacuum hose curls down to take vacuum from the intake underneath the throttle bodies. Just pull the hose off and see if it's wet with fuel. Cranking the engine should also show if fuel is coming through there.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 17 Old 11-20-2009, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll check it out as soon as I get back home this weekend.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-25-2009, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

I am pretty certain this is the part you were describing I check for fuel blowing by. I lifted the tank a little bit and removed the hose and turned the key on a few times to let the fuel pump cycle. No leaks. So I started it too. Still no leaks. Do you have any other suggestion for why the oil would smell like gas?
Attached Thumbnails
Fuelpressureregulator.jpg‎  
post #7 of 17 Old 11-25-2009, 3:00 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I am pretty certain this is the part you were describing I check for fuel blowing by. I lifted the tank a little bit and removed the hose and turned the key on a few times to let the fuel pump cycle. No leaks. So I started it too. Still no leaks. Do you have any other suggestion for why the oil would smell like gas?
Yes, that's the FPR but is that rust on it?
What is the general condition of the bike?
I can't smell so diagnosing problems by nose isn't something I can help with :-)
Does it run okay otherwise? Idles fine? All the header pipes are similar temperatures? No error codes on the dash? Does the bike have an O2 sensor (you don't say where you are)?
Are you one of those people that likes to rev it a few times immediately before killing the engine perhaps?
Really, the only other way for fuel to get into the engine is via the injectors but for it to get into the crankcase you'd have to wonder if a cylinder isn't burning it.

post #8 of 17 Old 11-25-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

So here is what it looks like! I take care of it. I was on an island for two years so it has a few components that are rusting. I am getting ready to rip it all apart and start detailing everything again.
It runs good. I think a little rich. It idles at around 1300 when at operating temps. The adjustment knob is all the way in one direction. I don't remember if that is right of left. Last year I had the top end opened up to check valve clearances. The mechanic said it looked brand new in there and all clearances were in tolerance. I am currently in San Antonio, Texas. I don't get to ride much due to work. So my mileage is kept kind of low. I don't rev it up before I shut it off. That is useless and a waste of gas. Friends have told me when I get on it the exhaust omit a white gassy smelling puff, not a big and not continuous. There are no error codes. I'll haver to look and see if it has an 02 sensor. I bought it in Washington state not Cali. The exhaist is unchanged except for the muffler. I wondered about blow by past the rings too.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC039892.jpg‎   DSC03989.jpg‎  
post #9 of 17 Old 11-25-2009, 11:20 PM

Reputation Power: 11

cant be blow by cause that would cause a trailing problem not just a puff. Could be as little as if someone rebuilt the motor and put a piston ring in upside or it could possibly be the valve guides are letting it seep by. If its not in the fuel system right near or on the rail area then i wanna say its internal and thats a pain in the .
post #10 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 9:39 AM Thread Starter

So for now I should just change the oil, monitor, and ride huh? Could it just be the difference of synthetic vs dino oil as far as the smell I'm noticing. For instance, gear oil smell gross compared to 10w-30.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 10:05 AM

Reputation Power: 11

possible, could be using too thin of a weight for your bike. do you know if it had syn or blend or regular oil before you bought it?
post #12 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 8:22 PM Thread Starter

I recently switched from a 50wt to 40wt by recommendation of the local shop cycle werks that sponsors and races bike. Maybe that wasn't a good choice?????
I also noticed with the last air filter cleaning that there was a cable loose that leads to an exhaust part. What should I do about that cable or should I just delete the part all together. pic included....
Attached Thumbnails
Exhaustpart.jpg‎  
post #13 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I recently switched from a 50wt to 40wt by recommendation of the local shop cycle werks that sponsors and races bike. Maybe that wasn't a good choice?????
I also noticed with the last air filter cleaning that there was a cable loose that leads to an exhaust part. What should I do about that cable or should I just delete the part all together. pic included....

The photo is the cover of the HTEV. Remove the cover and the remaining cable and set the valve to one of its three positions.
You should have an error light on the dash if the cable isn't connected.
Does the servo motor (under the left frame rail on the inside end of the fairing bracket) rotate at all?

post #14 of 17 Old 11-27-2009, 9:49 PM Thread Starter

So here are the parts we were speaking of. The one cam looking thingy I'm sure is the servo motor you were talking about. The cable in the air box isn't attached to anything because it appears to be missing....
Should the servo motor move with temperature from the engine running. If so I didn't start it to see. The kids are sleeping. If it is supposed to move just from the throttle being twisted, then it didn't move.

What is the part missing from the airbox and does it need to be there?

Stevo
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05218-1.jpg‎   DSC05217.jpg‎  
post #15 of 17 Old 11-27-2009, 9:56 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
So here are the parts we were speaking of. The one cam looking thingy I'm sure is the servo motor you were talking about. The cable in the air box isn't attached to anything because it appears to be missing....
Should the servo motor move with temperature from the engine running. If so I didn't start it to see. The kids are sleeping. If it is supposed to move just from the throttle being twisted, then it didn't move.

What is the part missing from the airbox and does it need to be there?

Stevo
Yes, that's the servo motor.
It doesn't move until the revs pass through 3000RPM and 8000RPM. The motor itself may operate but if the pulley doesn't move then the gears within are stripped - very common.
The airbox flapper has already been removed so you don't need to worry about that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page