White smoke everyday - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-19-2009, 2:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

White smoke everyday

I just bought a 2001 cbr 929 and it smokes everyday when I start it until it warms up. The smoke is white and pretty moderate. I checked coolant(no oil), oil(no coolant), and FPR. The exhaust is not sweet and just smells like how exhaust should smell. When the bike warms up it doesn't smoke at all even when riding.I'm pretty stumped. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-19-2009, 2:59 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed954
Re: White smoke everyday

White smoke NORMALLY indicates a failing head gasket. Does the bike run hot? I guess what I'm saying is if it's an internal coolant leak because of a blown head gasket you might not see coolant in the oil since it's burning it off in the cylinder (hence your white smoke).

How long has it been doing it?
Does the coolant look low in either the res. or the radiator?

Not even gonna try and hide it ...... I didnt think to ask if it was cold outside when this happens. If it is then bladeracer is correct and it's normal.

"If you feel you're in control you're not going fast enough" ~ Mario Andretti

Last edited by JohnnySpeed954; 11-19-2009 at 3:09 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-19-2009, 3:06 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfs912 View Post
I just bought a 2001 cbr 929 and it smokes everyday when I start it until it warms up. The smoke is white and pretty moderate. I checked coolant(no oil), oil(no coolant), and FPR. The exhaust is not sweet and just smells like how exhaust should smell. When the bike warms up it doesn't smoke at all even when riding.I'm pretty stumped. Thanks in advance
In colder weather this is normal.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-19-2009, 4:26 PM Thread Starter

Its around 50*-60*F out and it has done this ever since I got it. The weird thing is that it only does it for about this first two minutes on start up then disappears. Also when I rev it past 4-5000 there is no more white smoke. A new update: I noticed there was water leaking from the muffler/down pipe. I pulled the muffler and I am going to wait a couple of hours to start it to see if it smokes(maybe there is water trapped in it?). By the way I'm pretty sure that it was water leaking because it has no smell what so ever and is a clear liquid. So I'm hoping it's just condensation in the exhaust.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-19-2009, 4:41 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah by the way the highest temperature the bike has gotten to is 210*. Is that normal?
post #6 of 12 Old 11-19-2009, 4:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

sounds to me like everything's fine, that's quite normal. even air cooled bikes do it.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-19-2009, 4:57 PM

Reputation Power: 22

my 929 gives a light haze of white on start from cold, just condensation in can, if you had a leak it would do it when warm, just keep a eye on water level and gauge but recon your safe
post #8 of 12 Old 11-19-2009, 5:02 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Its around 50*-60*F out and it has done this ever since I got it. The weird thing is that it only does it for about this first two minutes on start up then disappears. Also when I rev it past 4-5000 there is no more white smoke. A new update: I noticed there was water leaking from the muffler/down pipe. I pulled the muffler and I am going to wait a couple of hours to start it to see if it smokes(maybe there is water trapped in it?). By the way I'm pretty sure that it was water leaking because it has no smell what so ever and is a clear liquid. So I'm hoping it's just condensation in the exhaust.
All sounds perfectly normal.
A pet annoyance of mine is when watching a movie and a car comes into the shot having supposedly driven some distance but the white smoke belching from the exhaust pipe indicates it's just been started up a moment before :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #9 of 12 Old 11-19-2009, 5:04 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Oh yeah by the way the highest temperature the bike has gotten to is 210*. Is that normal?
210F probably isn't even high enough to kick the fan in so yes, no problem at all.

post #10 of 12 Old 11-19-2009, 6:52 PM Thread Starter

So I started the bike which should of have produced white smoke and the outcome is...drum roll... No smoke. I guess the muffler has some water in it for some reason. Its ok because I was planning on buying a full system soon anyway.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-19-2009, 6:56 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Usually when you start a cold engine you usually see the condensation being produced until the engine/exhaust heat up and the water is vapourised.

Whats the temperature outside? My 954RR usually produces white smoke when its a bit damp outside.

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #12 of 12 Old 11-19-2009, 7:07 PM Thread Starter

It's about 55*F and raining. I just got worried about all this because none of my other bikes do it this bad but still do. Thanks guys for all your responses, it's a load off my mind.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page