amsoil vs mobile1 syn 4t - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 6:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

amsoil vs mobile1 syn 4t

i was told amsoil fullsyn was the better to go with.
but mobile1 syn 4t is cheaper by $3.00 a quart

id rather have amsoil
but a few friends keep on about mobile 1 syn 4t is just as good?

any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 7:57 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Re: amsoil vs mobile1 syn 4t

it comes down to how much you want to spend
ive used amsoil and mobile and i like the mobile.it shifts great and is easier on the pocket..anything is better than gn4

IM OLD GREEEEEEG!!!
post #3 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 8:22 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to WyoJames Send a message via MSN to WyoJames

I am fan yamilube

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 8:37 PM

Reputation Power: 20

james i never thought about trying that.. i might next time.. what kind of price?

IM OLD GREEEEEEG!!!
post #5 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 9:24 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Why are we even talking about any other oil than REPSOL 4T fulll synthetic?

My 08 blade picked up 2 hp immediately (at the same facility) after changing from conventional Honda 10w30 to Repsol 4T at 4000 miles.

Bike had a service at 600 miles with conventional honda stuff, an oil change at 2000 with the reg honda stuff then the change to Repsol 4t at 4000 miles.

shifts more smoothly aswell.

It is AMSOIL HONDA, MOBILE1 HONDA or REPSOL HONDA in Moto GP? exactly, Repsol is the only way....
post #6 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 9:39 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaffenk98 View Post
Why are we even talking about any other oil than REPSOL 4T fulll synthetic?

My 08 blade picked up 2 hp immediately (at the same facility) after changing from conventional Honda 10w30 to Repsol 4T at 4000 miles.

Bike had a service at 600 miles with conventional honda stuff, an oil change at 2000 with the reg honda stuff then the change to Repsol 4t at 4000 miles.

shifts more smoothly aswell.

It is AMSOIL HONDA, MOBILE1 HONDA or REPSOL HONDA in Moto GP? exactly, Repsol is the only way....
The only way to put the 2hp down to the oil is if you dynoed it, changed the oil and dynoed it again? The 2000 miles in between could cause all sorts of differences.
In racing, the stickers on the bike or car do not necessarily indicate what's in the engine.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 9:41 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to WyoJames Send a message via MSN to WyoJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1kfireblade View Post
james i never thought about trying that.. i might next time.. what kind of price?
Cheap...it's not synth tho

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
post #8 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
The only way to put the 2hp down to the oil is if you dynoed it, changed the oil and dynoed it again? The 2000 miles in between could cause all sorts of differences.
In racing, the stickers on the bike or car do not necessarily indicate what's in the engine.
Dyno, oil change, dyno again is what I did.

If you were a tech or crew chief for Repsol Honda, would you get caught dumping amsoil or silkolene in Pedrosa's bike???? I didn't think so....
post #9 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 9:48 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
If you were a tech or crew chief for Repsol Honda, would you get caught dumping amsoil or silkolene in Pedrosa's bike???? I didn't think so....
If the team uses a different oil I can't see why they'd be concerned.
They're _just_ stickers advertising a company that pays them a heap of money to do so.
I don't know anywhere in the world where there's a law that says if your team is sponsored by Repsol you must run Repsol oil.

I was running Penrite many years ago and the Shell rep asked if I wanted to do a sponsorship deal. I said I was happy with the oil I was already using and didn't particularly want to change. He explained that he wasn't asking me to change the oil I was running, he just wanted me to run Shell stickers and keep the Penrite oil in shell drums.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #10 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 9:49 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Dyno, oil change, dyno again is what I did.
On the same day?

post #11 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 9:58 PM

Quote:
If the team uses a different oil I can't see why they'd be concerned.
They're _just_ stickers advertising a company that pays them a heap of money to do so.
I don't know anywhere in the world where there's a law that says if your team is sponsored by Repsol you must run Repsol oil.

I don't think its a law either, nor do I claim to know beyond a shadow of a doubt what kind of oil they use...nor is their oil (assuming Repsol is what they use) going to turn my bike into an RC212V.

What I am saying is that it is probably more than likely that the oil, whatever grade or weight it may be, swirling around in the Repsol Honda is probably a product of Repsol oil.

I'm not saying its the same 4T full synthetic that we can buy off the shelf, nor am I suggesting that Repsol would sell anyone the oil that goes into or comes out of pedrosa's or Andrea's bike....

It just seems a bit silly to me to assume that the oil in repsol honda's didn't come from somewhere owned by the spanish oil giant.

I'm no racer, crew chief, sponsored rider or even club racer... I'm just using deductive reasoning...

Like the same reasoning you'd use to assume that papa john's pizza is inside the car that says "papa john's" on the top.
post #12 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 9:59 PM

Quote:
On the same day?

yes on the same day.. "immediately after" like the post says...
post #13 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't think its a law either, nor do I claim to know beyond a shadow of a doubt what kind of oil they use...nor is their oil (assuming Repsol is what they use) going to turn my bike into an RC212V.

What I am saying is that it is probably more than likely that the oil, whatever grade or weight it may be, swirling around in the Repsol Honda is probably a product of Repsol oil.

I'm not saying its the same 4T full synthetic that we can buy off the shelf, nor am I suggesting that Repsol would sell anyone the oil that goes into or comes out of pedrosa's or Andrea's bike....

It just seems a bit silly to me to assume that the oil in repsol honda's didn't come from somewhere owned by the spanish oil giant.

I'm no racer, crew chief, sponsored rider or even club racer... I'm just using deductive reasoning...

Like the same reasoning you'd use to assume that papa john's pizza is inside the car that says "papa john's" on the top.
Since you clearly understand how hard it is to conclusively state that the oil on the shelf is the same as that used in any particular team's bikes I don't understand you wanting to proclaim it to be absolutely the best oil you can get.
Frankly, the fact that they're willing to throw the sort of money they do at racing is one reason I wouldn't want to use their product. If they weren't spending so much in sponsorship the product would be a hell of a lot cheaper than it is.
There's an old saying that you never use a mechanic that races. Racing is very expensive so why pay more so he can afford to race when you can get the same job done elsewhere for less. On the other hand, if you're building a race engine then it's probably best to use a mechanic that races his own engines.

post #14 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Since you clearly understand how hard it is to conclusively state that the oil on the shelf is the same as that used in any particular team's bikes I don't understand you wanting to proclaim it to be absolutely the best oil you can get.
Frankly, the fact that they're willing to throw the sort of money they do at racing is one reason I wouldn't want to use their product. If they weren't spending so much in sponsorship the product would be a hell of a lot cheaper than it is.
There's an old saying that you never use a mechanic that races. Racing is very expensive so why pay more so he can afford to race when you can get the same job done elsewhere for less. On the other hand, if you're building a race engine then it's probably best to use a mechanic that races his own engines.
I was'nt so much proclaiming Repsol as the best you can get, as I was trying to point of the ignorance of the original post. This guys "heard" and "been told" and his buddies "keep telling" him what he should use, but as the owner of the machine in question it doesn't seem as though he ever considered to try the oil named on the side of the world championship winning bike that his bike is loosely suggested by Honda to have been developed from.

The next thing that came from his post that tickled me were the words "synthetic" and "Cheaper". Relating his concern for the least expensive option. Apparently this is his first bike and he has yet to realize that Motorcycles are in no way an inexpensive hobby and that he probably can't really afford to be in this game if $9 more in oil is troubling him.

My post was intended sarcastic, but its hard to convey tone thru the internet....
post #15 of 53 Old 11-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I was'nt so much proclaiming Repsol as the best you can get, as I was trying to point of the ignorance of the original post. This guys "heard" and "been told" and his buddies "keep telling" him what he should use, but as the owner of the machine in question it doesn't seem as though he ever considered to try the oil named on the side of the world championship winning bike that his bike is loosely suggested by Honda to have been developed from.

The next thing that came from his post that tickled me were the words "synthetic" and "Cheaper". Relating his concern for the least expensive option. Apparently this is his first bike and he has yet to realize that Motorcycles are in no way an inexpensive hobby and that he probably can't really afford to be in this game if $9 more in oil is troubling him.

My post was intended sarcastic, but its hard to convey tone thru the internet....
I agree with your entire sentiment.
Use a good semi-synthetic and change it every 2000 miles.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page