What reasons made you go with a Honda CBR over other bikes? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 7:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

What reasons made you go with a Honda CBR over other bikes?

Ok, since this is on the Honda Fireblade forum, I would assume that we all have, had, or will have a Honda CBR (fireblade) I was just curious as to the reasons why other people went with the CBR over other bikes, like a GSXR, ZZR or Yammie R1?

Me? I am a Honda whore. I don't care if another bike claims to go faster, handle better, or do faster lap times. I like Honda. I like Honda's engineering. I like Honda's ergonomics. I like Honda's build quality. I really don't come anywhere near close to using the full capabilities of my cbr1krr6, so getting a bike with more HP, or torque or whatever, really won't make much of a difference to me. A Honda product, I can trust and, apparently since the used resale value of Honda (bike or car) is generally higher than other brands, I think the general public believes that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 7:25 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: What reasons made you go with a Honda CBR over other bikes?

They changed the Superbike class from 601-750cc to 800-1000cc for the '04 season so I had to replace my GSXR750.
I wanted a GSXR1000 but couldn't find one and the 929 came up at a crazy price so I grabbed it.
I haven't seen any difference in build quality or resale value with Honda over the other Jap manufacturers.
One thing about Honda that does annoy me is their propensity to put pointless gadgetry on their bikes that eventually fails.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 7:28 PM

Reputation Power: 20

<----------------honda whore
3 honda cars
1 cbr1rr6
1 cr125

reliability/looks

IM OLD GREEEEEEG!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 8:21 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to WyoJames Send a message via MSN to WyoJames

Been a honda motorsports fan my whole life

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
post #5 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 8:28 PM

Reputation Power: 122

Got the 929 in '00 when it came out and sold it at the end of the year to buy a truck for racing, I only raced Suzuki's but loved the 929 for a street bike. After not having a street bike for a while in '02 I decided I was going to get the R1, since I have been good friends with the local Honda dealer for many years they said they would give me a 954 for a retarded price and I coudn't say no. I hear you Blade, Hondas always has so much extra crap on them, Suzuki's were so much easier. But don't get me wrong people I love my 954, and really love my crf450, Honda makes great stuff.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 9:35 PM

The 08 Blade is my first Honda....

in the past I've owned : 97 GSXR750, 99 and 2001 hayabusa, 2001 GSXR75O, 2001 Ducati 996S, '93 Ducati 900 monster, TL1000R, 2001 R6 and 2000 SV650 before the New fireblade.

All but the 97 gsxr and monster were bought new... I loved something about everyone of them but they all another thing in common aswell: Hype that they didn't live up to in my mind.

I can buy (for the most part) any new bike that I want and therefore rode every comparible bike available before I commited to the 08 Blade.

With an open mind, after the new 09 R1 was available I rode it aswell and can honestly say for me, my bike is the ultimate in does what it promises superbike. Yes, I've modded it extensively but in truth, in stock form its a better bike than I'll ever be able to extract the most out of.

I'm so smitten with it, that I've located a 1500 mile, one owner 2008 blade that I plan on adding to the garage next week as a 3rd bike.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 10:56 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Reason I went with Honda CBR1000RR was it was BRAND new and $6983.00 with Lifetime Engine Warranty!
post #8 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponrod View Post
Reason I went with Honda CBR1000RR was it was BRAND new and $6983.00 with Lifetime Engine Warranty!

No offense, but if you're the kind of person who buys a new top of the line 1000cc sportbike becuase its the cheapest, then we probably won't see eye to eye on very many things....

By that rationale, its wise to move into an upscale gated community so long as you buy the cheapest home in the division just so can say you belong?

post #9 of 19 Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponrod View Post
Sounds like you don't have much faith in their ability to build an engine that'll last a while :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #10 of 19 Old 11-21-2009, 12:25 AM

Reputation Power: 14

I love honda......

954cbr2002

Honda civic '91 with 280808 miles on it.....nothing beats a [email protected][email protected]#@!#[email protected]
post #11 of 19 Old 11-21-2009, 4:48 AM
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 139

Send a message via MSN to Sideshow bob

... I have always had no real preferance for brand....

but in my youth I always kept away from honda... in the 80s they were boring*......
It wasn't till they brought out the blade that I started to pay them any attention.... then they produced the Urban Tiger colour scheme.... and I fell in love with it....

SAD. I know... but I go for looks.....
I figure all bikes have there good and bad points.. & whoever you ask nearly always says there bikes/manufacturer/model is the best...

*the only thing people ever recomended them for was there reliabilitie and as my mates who had them had as many breakdowns as I did, I thought this was a crock!

As long as I fall, I don't hit the ground. As long as I fall, I'm safe & sound.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-21-2009, 4:58 AM

Reputation Power: 166

When I got in to bikes the Fireblade had just been launched so I've always liked them. So it was already a consideration when I decided I wanted a sports bike.

I had a Kawasaki as my 1st bike and was not impressed. So that ruled out the ZX-9R. The older Fireblades are pretty cheap over here, pretty much the best package available for the price I paid - 2250, 2 1/2 years ago, or about 1000 less than an R1 of the same year.

I also bought an old VFR as a winter hack, 37k miles and 21 years old and it was in much better condition than a Yamaha TDM I tried to resurrect which was 5 years newer and 5000 fewer miles. I also had a Suzuki GS500 once, which was about 7 years newer than the VFR and half the miles and it was a complete wreck with a frame made out of rust. So I believe there is (or was?) something in the build quality reputation of Honda. It might not be as noticable in warmer climates though, especially if they don't cover the roads in salt for half of the year!!!

As for useless gadgets - my bikes have none, they're pretty basic - but IMHO all of the manufacturers are doing it now to try and differentiate their products - e.g. Suzuki's mode switch on the newer GSXR's has been regarded by the biking press as pretty pointless (never tried it myself mind you, & I don't take the word of the press for granted!)
post #13 of 19 Old 11-21-2009, 5:07 AM

Reputation Power: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow bob View Post

SAD. I know... but I go for looks.....
Looks are important to me too, it's one of the things that put me off getting a Fazer 1000. It looks so dull that just the thought of it makes me drowsy.... for me part of a bike is that it looks fun and exciting and makes you wanna ride it.

That said the VFR appeals in a different way - it looks pretty dull but because it's so old it becomes interesting (for me anyway) - it's just different to what you see normally.

With Penny Farthing suspension and comedy tyres, riding it gives a sense of achievement on roads that the Blade just destroys.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-21-2009, 5:37 AM
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 139

Send a message via MSN to Sideshow bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo View Post
Looks are important to me too, it's one of the things that put me off getting a Fazer 1000. It looks so dull that just the thought of it makes me drowsy.... for me part of a bike is that it looks fun and exciting and makes you wanna ride it.
....... yeah..... I've been put off some really good bikes because i don't like summut about the looks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo View Post
With Penny Farthing suspension and comedy tyres, riding it gives a sense of achievement on roads that the Blade just destroys.
.... you make a good point there........

I sumtimes feel blades (and the like) make things to easy.. not that i don't like it

As long as I fall, I don't hit the ground. As long as I fall, I'm safe & sound.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-21-2009, 6:49 AM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 182

Garage

I bought a Honda. After years ownning Suzuki's. I went out one day with the intention of buying a Ducati. The price was affordable for me at $45,000.00 US smackers for a 1098sp.
I went to a Honda dealership first, knowing I had the money for a Ducati, was certian I would end up with one, (Ducati), before the day was over.
While I was walking into the Honda shop, I saw through the window, my bike. Black/Gray, kinda snub nosed look, two head lights that make it look a little shark like. Sweety palms and magnetizm beyond my control. Couldn't leave when I saw that thing. Forgot all about the Ducati. Payed far less, now I have a smile. I didn't really hear anything the sales man was saying. Sir! stop humping my leg! Right about then, I'll buy it....
I like the look. At my age, and experience, I realized that I would end up buying the enjoyment, (so to speak), and performance, along with relability as good as any other bike. I dont race on the street, (much ).
It was the look. Something different, yet the same. I should have bought two.

If you don't stand for something, then you'll fall for anything. The proverbial "trick", is not to follow anyone elses idea of reality. Be an individual. The future belongs to those who prepare for it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page