954 Engine 929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 11-22-2009, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Send a message via AIM to SoliceDreamer Send a message via MSN to SoliceDreamer Send a message via Yahoo to SoliceDreamer
954 Engine 929

I've searched but can't find anything specifically related to my question

what all IS needed to run a 954 engine in a 929 properly

and what all is only extra performace stuff, like throttle bodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 954 Engine 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoliceDreamer View Post
I've searched but can't find anything specifically related to my question

what all IS needed to run a 954 engine in a 929 properly

and what all is only extra performace stuff, like throttle bodies
Nothing is needed for it to run properly except for the engine. It'll run just fine with the 929 ECU, throttle bodies and radiator. You will need the 954 rotor, stator and cover though.

The differences are 2mm bigger throttle bodies in the same manifolds, slightly bigger cams and 1mm bigger pistons. Despite the bigger bores the 954 engine is lighter all round from the cases to the pistons. I'd have to check but I think it's a kg or more lighter.

Installing the complete 954 engine, electrics, throttle bodies and rear wheel should be good for about 10hp more than the 929. If you figure the 2.5% increase in capacity is good for 2.5% more power then the remaining 6-7hp comes from the cams, throttle bodies, injectors, ECU and the lighter engine internals and rear wheel.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 28 Old 11-23-2009, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to SoliceDreamer Send a message via MSN to SoliceDreamer Send a message via Yahoo to SoliceDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Nothing is needed for it to run properly except for the engine. It'll run just fine with the 929 ECU, throttle bodies and radiator. You will need the 954 rotor, stator and cover though.

The differences are 2mm bigger throttle bodies in the same manifolds, slightly bigger cams and 1mm bigger pistons. Despite the bigger bores the 954 engine is lighter all round from the cases to the pistons. I'd have to check but I think it's a kg or more lighter.

Installing the complete 954 engine, electrics, throttle bodies and rear wheel should be good for about 10hp more than the 929. If you figure the 2.5% increase in capacity is good for 2.5% more power then the remaining 6-7hp comes from the cams, throttle bodies, injectors, ECU and the lighter engine internals and rear wheel.
im glad that your online everytime i am

thinking of picking up a 954 engine to drop into my 929 due to the lower case being broken on mine. 3rd rod bearing spun...is this a common issue? all motors seem to have this problem

but about how much ballpark price would it cost to replace the 3rd rod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 11-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoliceDreamer View Post
im glad that your online everytime i am

thinking of picking up a 954 engine to drop into my 929 due to the lower case being broken on mine. 3rd rod bearing spun...is this a common issue? all motors seem to have this problem

but about how much ballpark price would it cost to replace the 3rd rod?
I'm always online :-)
I don't know that it's a common problem exactly.
You need to realise that generally the rod bearing hasn't failed because it's bad itself. Usually there are lots of other parts all battling to stay together and as soon as the weakest part finally lets go the engine stops. Fixing the part that actually failed is not the way to repair the engine since that simply moves the stress that caused the initial failure onto the next weakest link and you actually have a weaker engine than before you "repaired" it.
You will need to go right through it and replace anything that's worn due to the lack of lubrication that caused the failure. Depending on how long it's been bad that could be as simple as new bearings to a new crank or even to requiring a new head if the cam journals are chewed out.
Until you actually get inside it there's no way of knowing what it might cost.
Personally, I tend to figure on spending a grand anytime I have to open an engine up but it's just a wild figure plucked from the air - if I don't want to spend a grand just yet it's probably best not to open up the engine yet. Most times a couple of hundred should cover whatever is broken but you need to be aware that it can climb rapidly once you're in there :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 28 Old 11-23-2009, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I'm always online :-)
I don't know that it's a common problem exactly.
You need to realise that generally the rod bearing hasn't failed because it's bad itself. Usually there are lots of other parts all battling to stay together and as soon as the weakest part finally lets go the engine stops. Fixing the part that actually failed is not the way to repair the engine since that simply moves the stress that caused the initial failure onto the next weakest link and you actually have a weaker engine than before you "repaired" it.
You will need to go right through it and replace anything that's worn due to the lack of lubrication that caused the failure. Depending on how long it's been bad that could be as simple as new bearings to a new crank or even to requiring a new head if the cam journals are chewed out.
Until you actually get inside it there's no way of knowing what it might cost.
Personally, I tend to figure on spending a grand anytime I have to open an engine up but it's just a wild figure plucked from the air - if I don't want to spend a grand just yet it's probably best not to open up the engine yet. Most times a couple of hundred should cover whatever is broken but you need to be aware that it can climb rapidly once you're in there :-)
hmm thanks, ill keep that in mind
post #6 of 28 Old 11-23-2009, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

A 954 motor will lineup with the motor mounts on a 929? I thought they were slighly different?
post #7 of 28 Old 11-23-2009, 12:43 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929cbr View Post
A 954 motor will lineup with the motor mounts on a 929? I thought they were slighly different?
Nope, exactly the same dimensions.

post #8 of 28 Old 11-23-2009, 1:51 AM

Reputation Power: 18

complete build is the way to go if the motor has once lost it.
i thought you got the motor already from those local junk yards?
post #9 of 28 Old 11-23-2009, 2:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrfxr View Post
complete build is the way to go if the motor has once lost it.
i thought you got the motor already from those local junk yards?
not yet just dropped it on friday

been busy with school and work
post #10 of 28 Old 11-23-2009, 2:08 AM

Reputation Power: 18

watch out for the one i send ya....
post #11 of 28 Old 11-23-2009, 2:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrfxr View Post
watch out for the one i send ya....
thanks

i think i want a blue/yellow scheme like the 06 1k lol abit off topic but i just saw a picture of it
post #12 of 28 Old 11-25-2009, 11:26 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via AIM to FTP_929

Ew..
post #13 of 28 Old 11-28-2009, 11:29 PM

Reputation Power: 11

do you plan on doing the bench work yourself? just dong a straight up engine swap is really straight forward if you have a hoist or a come-a-long that you can mount to some rafters in your garage. even if you have never done any thing like this, you and two friends should be able to pull off an engine swap in one afternoon.

Getting into some benchwork is another story. i wouldn't even attempt it.
post #14 of 28 Old 11-28-2009, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8grndwhlstnd View Post
do you plan on doing the bench work yourself? just dong a straight up engine swap is really straight forward if you have a hoist or a come-a-long that you can mount to some rafters in your garage. even if you have never done any thing like this, you and two friends should be able to pull off an engine swap in one afternoon.

Getting into some benchwork is another story. i wouldn't even attempt it.

my dad has a come a long, but a friend of mine has a shop who dropped the engine and will replace it for only $50
post #15 of 28 Old 11-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Global Moderator

You shouldn't need any kind of hoist as the 929/954 engine is pretty light.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page